Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Argentina Rentista Visa for 2024? What is the minimum income now for retirement visa for Argentina?

6 month precária after the in person turno
i'm worried about this part; there's a good chance i won't have everything exactly how it's supposed to be done (various opinions online and with lawyers), so i'm half-expecting them to say 'you need to get this document' and then not give me the 6-month Precaria until i get that :p

experiences on costs
the lawyer who consulted my girlfriend said "about 500 Dollars" for all the translations and paperwork for her residency, so not sure if that meant with Apostilles also (since those are expensive), or just the translation. i'm getting quotes today and tomorrow, so i'll update ya @Betsy Ross but for sure your friend should get many quotes via WhatsApp just to see. and if in Buenos Aires, i think the best thing is to just mass-email/message quote requests from the list at:

the lawyer who consulted my girlfriend said "about 500 Dollars" for all the translations and paperwork for her residency, so not sure if that meant with Apostilles also (since those are expensive), or just the translation. i'm getting quotes today and tomorrow, so i'll update ya @Betsy Ross but for sure your friend should get many quotes via WhatsApp just to see. and if in Buenos Aires, i think the best thing is to just mass-email/message quote requests from the list at:

OK it sounds like it will be pricey then. She didn't have time to comparison shop as she needed to get it done right away. She got 2 quotes and both of them were over 700,000 pesos as there were several documents. That was shocking to hear it was so expensive. I don't remember paying these kind of prices many years ago. Thanks for posting the link to those translators. I will send to her

That was shocking to hear it was so expensive.
i'm sure they have an unwritten agreement where there is a 'suggested' cost per page, even if one is super easy :p

EDIT: apparently they are just straight-up racketeers and made-up an "Ethical Minimum" to try to get people to pay: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JmV3ox0y77dI6B9MRQZ1fbcj_ep_0qou/view

19,479 Pesos per page, even though a "page" is considered around 500 words and they will still try to charge you a full page. what scammers! i've haggled 10 or so translators this week/end and basically the cost for my ~12 pages or so is in the range of 118,000 Pesos to 400,000 Pesos! ($125-450 USD for the same two documents). sone of my pages would literally take 45 seconds. i asked one of the moralizers how they can be ethical about minimum wages, when they could make 10% of a monthly minimum salary in 2 hours of sitting-at-home work. they didn't answer ;)

one translator tried to say it would take them 30 hours to do my dozen pages ("Hacer esas traducciones, imprimirlas y legalizarlas lleva al menos 30 horas.") - she got an earful about ethics for that lie, i'm sure i'll be blocked soon. the FBI translation, for instance, just needs to say: "page 1 is an Apostille from the US Federal Gov't, and page 2 is a report of no Federal criminal history" - and my bank account pages are basically just numbers. some of these 'professionals' are truly predators and criminals. the funny thing is there are free templates for stuff like the FBI report, so it would take seconds to finish: https://fbiapostilleservices.com/spanish-translated-template-fbi-report/

but in essence: the ethical minimum isn't a law, and i've been able to get translators to reduce their fees $100 just by asking. some others are obstinate and claim it's "ethical" etc. - negotiate! i send them all the lowest quote (Presupuesto) and it's been working well to make them compete.

most important is that the Translators are in good standing with their Provincial College. my translators are found at this site:

Last edited:
i'm sure they have an unwritten agreement where there is a 'suggested' cost per page, even if one is super easy :p

EDIT: apparently they are just straight-up racketeers and made-up an "Ethical Minimum" to try to get people to pay: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JmV3ox0y77dI6B9MRQZ1fbcj_ep_0qou/view

19,479 Pesos per page, even though a "page" is considered around 500 words and they will still try to charge you a full page. what scammers! i've haggled 10 or so translators this week/end and basically the cost for my ~12 pages or so is in the range of 118,000 Pesos to 400,000 Pesos! ($125-450 USD for the same two documents). sone of my pages would literally take 45 seconds. i asked one of the moralizers how they can be ethical about minimum wages, when they could make 10% of a monthly minimum salary in 2 hours of sitting-at-home work. they didn't answer ;)

one translator tried to say it would take them 30 hours to do my dozen pages ("Hacer esas traducciones, imprimirlas y legalizarlas lleva al menos 30 horas.") - she got an earful about ethics for that lie, i'm sure i'll be blocked soon. the FBI translation, for instance, just needs to say: "page 1 is an Apostille from the US Federal Gov't, and page 2 is a report of no Federal criminal history" - and my bank account pages are basically just numbers. some of these 'professionals' are truly predators and criminals. the funny thing is there are free templates for stuff like the FBI report, so it would take seconds to finish: https://fbiapostilleservices.com/spanish-translated-template-fbi-report/

but in essence: the ethical minimum isn't a law, and i've been able to get translators to reduce their fees $100 just by asking. some others are obstinate and claim it's "ethical" etc. - negotiate! i send them all the lowest quote (Presupuesto) and it's been working well to make them compete.

most important is that the Translators are in good standing with their Provincial College. my translators are found at this site:

Definitely it IS crazy. Like I said, my friend got a quote for many documents for almost $800 USD to translate a bunch of stuff. Many documents as you noted just had a very tiny amount of English but each document had to have it and it was very high.

I posted a new thread on this topic so maybe you can add to it @StatusNomadicus.

update with some Precaria stuff from Migraciones....just talked to someone (not on this forum, but on a Facebook Expat group) who is waiting on their DNI card in the mail, after doing a Pensionista/retirement application. they needed:

Bank account 5 statements (printed Excel pages called "Movimiento" each month), showing regular/monthly deposits from your country to your Argentine bank account. theirs was a local account in Dollars, which i don't know much about. this Expat was NOT told that an Argie bank account was needed, until their process was delayed and they went in-person to Migraciones in CABA - then they suddenly told them to get 5 bank statements (even though Santander does a "statement" every 4 months lol, so not possible), so this person had to rush and get an AFIP number (not sure how related to CUIT/CUIL) to get a foreigner bank account here in Argentina. this is something not said on the immigrations pages, but i have heard a couple lawyers say is required now, recently. some say Banco de la Nación is easier to get a Savings/Ahorro account without a DNI, but you can only open one in Argentina every 6 months, so you won't be able to get a Checking/Corriente account for 6 months after the Savings! they can't get a DNI until Migraciones is content about having enough bank account history, where Pensions/Retirement/SocialSecurity/Rentier/Savings money is deposited into an Argentine bank account.

i'm not sure what the amount was required to be deposited every month, as i'm sure it changes. if i find out, i'll post here. it might be the full 1500 USD (i see 2100 USD on some websites) that is required for Rentista. this would be interesting, because someone who has a rental property, getting 2000 USD per month in rent, still needs to pay their mortgage in the USA, but i think Migraciones assumes if you're renting-out a property you must own it outright...something that most USA folks are NOT doing (the entire "FIRE" industry revolves around not paying-off rental properties).

The secret to Argentine bureaucracy is to keep a copy of the official requirements with you, and point to those, whenever they start arguing. Ask for the boss, if necessary. You can get through it, you just have to think like an Argentinian.
This is true. They hate when you do this but when you do and ask to speak to the manager, stuff gets done this way.
update with some Precaria stuff from Migraciones....just talked to someone (not on this forum, but on a Facebook Expat group) who is waiting on their DNI card in the mail, after doing a Pensionista/retirement application. they needed:

Bank account 5 statements (printed Excel pages called "Movimiento" each month), showing regular/monthly deposits from your country to your Argentine bank account. theirs was a local account in Dollars, which i don't know much about. this Expat was NOT told that an Argie bank account was needed, until their process was delayed and they went in-person to Migraciones in CABA - then they suddenly told them to get 5 bank statements (even though Santander does a "statement" every 4 months lol, so not possible), so this person had to rush and get an AFIP number (not sure how related to CUIT/CUIL) to get a foreigner bank account here in Argentina. this is something not said on the immigrations pages, but i have heard a couple lawyers say is required now, recently. some say Banco de la Nación is easier to get a Savings/Ahorro account without a DNI, but you can only open one in Argentina every 6 months, so you won't be able to get a Checking/Corriente account for 6 months after the Savings! they can't get a DNI until Migraciones is content about having enough bank account history, where Pensions/Retirement/SocialSecurity/Rentier/Savings money is deposited into an Argentine bank account.

i'm not sure what the amount was required to be deposited every month, as i'm sure it changes. if i find out, i'll post here. it might be the full 1500 USD (i see 2100 USD on some websites) that is required for Rentista. this would be interesting, because someone who has a rental property, getting 2000 USD per month in rent, still needs to pay their mortgage in the USA, but i think Migraciones assumes if you're renting-out a property you must own it outright...something that most USA folks are NOT doing (the entire "FIRE" industry revolves around not paying-off rental properties).
I am glad to read about people figuring out this stuff and doing it on their own. If you have the time it is good. Many expats don't have the time. There was never a big amount of people that had paid off home in the States or at least none of my friends or family but since covid it seems like many of my friends and family paid their mortgages off.

I am glad to read about people figuring out this stuff and doing it on their own
i said i'm trying it on my own, not that i figured it out :p

i know more people will be interested in affordable and good living in Argentina, but mannnnnnn do they make it hard to be legal. update after a Migraciones trip in Cordoba this week...

i use @Darksider415's recommendation of having the official law/guidance printed. after waiting 3-4 hours, i was told:

1. no, you don't qualify for Rentista because you need a monthly income. (are you sure?? because i've consulted 3 lawyers, emailed BsAs Migraciones, and the law here seems to say you just need money to live on, and a foreign Savings account will work...)
2. okay yes, there is a Savings option, but my Supervisor says it needs to be from interest dividends, savings account paid to you per month, about $1,250 USD. (but this law doesn't say "interes" anywhere, and whoa! 5 minimum salaries of INTEREST payments?? that would be a ton of money, right??)
3. yes i know that sounds impossible. (let me do rough math, since the highest 5% APY accounts in the States would require 1,250 x 12 = $15k/year, and 15,000 from 5% APY accounts would be over a million dollars in a HYSA...something over 3 million USD sitting in a savings account for 2 years...)
4. well my supervisor checked twice and Rentista is for someone who makes a "mensual" (monthly) amount to live here (okay well, look at what my papers say here, since with around 40,000 USD at 5% it's not even giving $200/month of interest, and that's the highest you'll get in the USA right now...who would qualify for this, if not me??)
5. i'm not sure what kind of investments, but something that earns that much in dividends every month, guaranteed "fixed" - have you tried a Student 1-year Residency at UNCordoba? (okay but i don't have millions of dollars, and they wouldn't be sitting in an HYSA account if i did, but if you check my paper, i have an automatic transfer from my HYSA, set for 2 years, to give my personal Checking account a fixed amount, over the required amount, and this is the first time i've heard anyone say that remitted Savings funds, from selling a USA house in my case, wouldn't qualify...)
6. oh, it's a fixed amount?? your translation summary didn't say that. (well, i don't think anyone would sign their name that something is "fixed" because any bank could go out of business, etc., but yes the amount has been automatically sent, every 1st of the month, since Nov2023, and i don't touch the Savings account, and i want to buy an apartment but i can't touch the money while i'm proving my residency eligibility to you...)
7. okay i talked to my supervisor a 3rd time, and what we can do for you is this. you get a Certified Public Accountant in Cordoba to certify the following paragraph, and you can come back without another appointment, ask for me, and i will try to get you a Precaria. (okay, i will try, but i have already extended my tourist visa, and i have 4 weeks, so what if the accountant takes a long time? i need to buy flights, rental cars, etc.)
8. no, it will only take one week, max. come back with this:
"DEBERÁ ACREDITAR ANTE LA DIRECCIÓN NACIONAL DE MIGRACIONES EL ORIGEN DE LOS FONDOS Y SU INGRESO AL PAÍS, POR INTERMEDIO DE INSTITUCIONES BANCARIAS O FINANCIERAS AUTORIZADAS POR EL BANCO CENTRAL DE LA REPÚBLICA ARGENTINA. (apertura de cuenta bancaria luego de la obtención de residencia precaria)
CERTIFICADO DE INGRESOS QUE CONTENGA LA CONVERSIÓN EN PESOS DEL VALOR EN MONEDA EXTRANJERA QUE EL SOLICITANTE INGRESA AL PAÍS, EMITIDO POR EL CONSEJO DE PROFESIONALES DE CIENCIAS ECONÓMICAS Y LEGALIZADO POR EL MISMO."

"YOU MUST PROVIDE BEFORE THE NATIONAL MIGRATION DIRECTORATE THE ORIGIN OF THE FUNDS AND THEIR ENTRY INTO THE COUNTRY, THROUGH BANKING OR FINANCIAL INSTITUTIONS AUTHORIZED BY THE CENTRAL BANK OF THE ARGENTINE REPUBLIC. (opening of a bank account after obtaining Precaria residence)
INCOME CERTIFICATE CONTAINING THE CONVERSION INTO PESOS OF THE FOREIGN CURRENCY VALUE THAT THE APPLICANT ENTERS THE COUNTRY, ISSUED BY THE COUNCIL OF ECONOMIC SCIENCES PROFESSIONALS AND LEGALIZED BY THE SAME."

...the adventure continues, and looks like this sheet of Accountant paper is going to be about $100 USD, based on a couple rough quotes i got so far. the magic word was Fijo (fixed/permanent)

the part they are really worried about is CONVERTING the amount i get from my Savings to my persona account every month (like they don't know what a Dollar is worth, lol), and having a Contador verify it.

oh, and i got an email a few hours after my appointment, with a link to download my Certificado de Antecedentes Penales (a PDF that has my fingerprint, photo, passport#, and says i have no criminal history in Argentina). http://www.dnrec.jus.gov.ar/ConsultaCAP

Last edited:

i know more people will be interested in affordable and good living in Argentina, but mannnnnnn do they make it hard to be legal. update after a Migraciones trip in Cordoba this week...

i use @Darksider415's recommendation of having the official law/guidance printed. after waiting 3-4 hours, i was told:

1. no, you don't qualify for Rentista because you need a monthly income. (are you sure?? because i've consulted 3 lawyers, emailed BsAs Migraciones, and the law here seems to say you just need money to live on, and a foreign Savings account will work...)
2. okay yes, there is a Savings option, but my Supervisor says it needs to be from interest dividends, savings account paid to you per month, about $1,250 USD. (but this law doesn't say "interes" anywhere, and whoa! 5 minimum salaries of INTEREST payments?? that would be a ton of money, right??)
3. yes i know that sounds impossible. (let me do rough math, since the highest 5% APY accounts in the States would require 1,250 x 12 = $15k/year, and 15,000 from 5% APY accounts would be over a million dollars in a HYSA...something over 3 million USD sitting in a savings account for 2 years...)
4. well my supervisor checked twice and Rentista is for someone who makes a "mensual" (monthly) amount to live here (okay well, look at what my papers say here, since with around 40,000 USD at 5% it's not even giving $200/month of interest, and that's the highest you'll get in the USA right now...who would qualify for this, if not me??)
5. i'm not sure what kind of investments, but something that earns that much in dividends every month, guaranteed "fixed" - have you tried a Student 1-year Residency at UNCordoba? (okay but i don't have millions of dollars, and they wouldn't be sitting in an HYSA account if i did, but if you check my paper, i have an automatic transfer from my HYSA, set for 2 years, to give my personal Checking account a fixed amount, over the required amount, and this is the first time i've heard anyone say that remitted Savings funds, from selling a USA house in my case, wouldn't qualify...)
6. oh, it's a fixed amount?? your translation summary didn't say that. (well, i don't think anyone would sign their name that something is "fixed" because any bank could go out of business, etc., but yes the amount has been automatically sent, every 1st of the month, since Nov2023, and i don't touch the Savings account, and i want to buy an apartment but i can't touch the money while i'm proving my residency eligibility to you...)
7. okay i talked to my supervisor a 3rd time, and what we can do for you is this. you get a Certified Public Accountant in Cordoba to certify the following paragraph, and you can come back without another appointment, ask for me, and i will try to get you a Precaria. (okay, i will try, but i have already extended my tourist visa, and i have 4 weeks, so what if the accountant takes a long time? i need to buy flights, rental cars, etc.)

"YOU MUST PROVIDE BEFORE THE NATIONAL MIGRATION DIRECTORATE THE ORIGIN OF THE FUNDS AND THEIR ENTRY INTO THE COUNTRY, THROUGH BANKING OR FINANCIAL INSTITUTIONS AUTHORIZED BY THE CENTRAL BANK OF THE ARGENTINE REPUBLIC. (opening of a bank account after obtaining Precaria residence)
INCOME CERTIFICATE CONTAINING THE CONVERSION INTO PESOS OF THE FOREIGN CURRENCY VALUE THAT THE APPLICANT ENTERS THE COUNTRY, ISSUED BY THE COUNCIL OF ECONOMIC SCIENCES PROFESSIONALS AND LEGALIZED BY THE SAME."

...the adventure continues, and looks like this sheet of Accountant paper is going to be about $100 USD, based on a couple rough quotes i got so far. the magic word was Fijo (fixed/permanent)

the part they are really worried about is CONVERTING the amount i get from my Savings to my persona account every month (like they don't know what a Dollar is worth, lol), and having a Contador verify it.

oh, and i got an email a few hours after my appointment, with a link to download my Certificado de Antecedentes Penales (a PDF that has my fingerprint, photo, passport#, and says i have no criminal history in Argentina). http://www.dnrec.jus.gov.ar/ConsultaCAP
Didn't the ask you to also present a criminal record from the last country you lived in for over a year?

This is the thing that bothers me the most about Argentina. You have good honest people that want to enter the system legally and they make it damn near impossible or make it very expensive and time consuming. I am glad to have my permanent residency here. I did it many years ago.

I don't get why Argentina makes it so difficult. Even with a pension visa they make it such that you always always have to hire an expensive lawyer to push it through. The longer I am here the most I realize I can probably just live here illegally without any issues. Most of the expats I speak to aren't doing it legally and just over stay. I read about a few that had issues but I talked to many more that have been living here a decade or longer just being a permanent-tourist. I think that is what I will do.

They should make applying for a retirement visa as simple as filling out forms and showing bank statements.

The longer I am here the most I realize I can probably just live here illegally without any issues. Most of the expats I speak to aren't doing it legally and just over stay. I read about a few that had issues but I talked to many more that have been living here a decade or longer just being a permanent-tourist. I think that is what I will do.
The new government is changing the rules. Before making that decision, talk to expats that have left and come back to the country in the past couple of months.
They should make applying for a retirement visa as simple as filling out forms and showing bank statements.
Just like in the States, it's been too easy to immigrate illegally and too difficult to do it legally. The new government wants to change that, we'll see how they go about it.

a criminal record from the last country you lived in for over a year?
yeah, this is the easy part - an apostilled FBI rap sheet that you get the original copy translated and legalized in Argentina in your province. this is required for pretty much anything, and documented well in forums, like:

1 https://www.expatsba.com/threads/wh...-for-argentina-dni-residency-application.635/

2 https://baexpats.org/threads/fbi-background-check-and-apostille.46544/

...and easy to do in 3-4 weeks total, and SE Spanish (Dan Hickman in Tennessee) are super easy to work with and fast: https://www.sespanish.com/product/federal-apostille-service/

but, it's the Rentista Savings stuff that not even lawyers know the details of (but the only one i qualify for, since i don't have a house in the USA).

how much per month, in Pesos? (changes every month) how to prove this, CPA Letter or not? (now, some want a CPA Letter). do they ever get approved, or is it a fake category like the Digital Nomad Visa?

The new government is changing the rules. Before making that decision, talk to expats that have left and come back to the country in the past couple of months.

Just like in the States, it's been too easy to immigrate illegally and too difficult to do it legally. The new government wants to change that, we'll see how they go about it.
Exactly. The rules are changing. See this.

Exactly. The rules are changing. See this.

I also ran into some people that had one way tickets and they were refused boarding so they had to buy a refundable ticket on the spot. The airlines told them that it was a directive by Argentina not to allow people that didn't have a round-trip ticket. I have not heard about people that are not getting their overstay granted but maybe they don't post about it. Nothing Milei does has made sense to me.

over a million dollars in a HYSA...something over 3 million USD sitting in a savings account for 2 years
correction: my rough phone-calculator math was wrong at Migraciones (i'm horrible at math...this is why i'm a history/humanities student!), but if a $44,000 is making $190 USD per month in interest around 5% APY, and if you need somewhere between $1,250/month and $2,500/month (depending on who you ask for the 5x monthly base salary in Argentina today), then the amount you store in a HYSA account must be somewhere between 290k-580k USD 😲 and if the APY % changes, or the Peso goes back up in value, or the law changes, you'd need to prove everything all over again. who, exactly, would be able to fulfill this Rentista Savings option?? it's like Migraciones created a new category last year, didn't explain to their Supervisors what to look for (amount withdrawn as a self-pension like mine, or INTEREST payments), and thus created a category that might be impossible to attain like the Digital Nomad Visa or Investor Residency.

You have good honest people that want to enter the system legally and they make it damn near impossible or make it very expensive and time consuming
most Argentines i talk to these past ~5 months are surprised to hear i'm having any problems. i've heard 'oh you have lighter skin so you'll get it' or 'oh you're from the US, it's easy' - but Migraciones seems to be on a whole different page than anyone else, which is strange when actual lawyers here are just telling me to overstay once, until i get approved for a Residency. but, if Migraciones sees i'm here illegal, with no friends or family here with connections, there's a non-zero chance it will hurt my case

being a permanent-tourist. I think that is what I will do. They should make applying for a retirement visa as simple as filling out forms and showing bank statements.
true, and i know more than one person in real life who just won't come to Argentina because it's too much of a clusterf___ and too annoying and time-consuming. even if the federal government just required me to open a Dollar bank account with Santander/Galicia/HSBC/etc. and deposit a year's worth of money to get a 1-year temporary residency, i would do it. and there's so much money going to lawyers, corruption/bribes, accountants, translators, apostilles, legalizations, FedEx/UPS/Andreani/Correo, etc. the national debt could be paid-off much sooner if they would just cut-out the middleman and let people pay for a residency. El Salvador's Bukele has an interesting idea about competing for productive citizens:

See this.
government is so silly; there are thousands of Venezuelans etc. coming to Argentina, and they're blocking people with money from coming in and making them buy an expensive ticket which gives a bad taste in their mouth. if this happened to one of my friends and they had no idea they would lose thousands of dollars, i wouldn't be surprised if they never went back to Argentina when so many other places are more welcoming. if there's a law, it needs to be enforced at the AIRLINE level, where you can't buy a one-way flight, or you have to sign something before the ticket is confirmed. but for every stupid government program, there's always a workaround solution:

not getting their overstay granted but maybe they don't post about it
i have never heard of an Overstay being "granted" since usually you just pay the 20 bucks the day before you fly out. are you talking about extending a Tourist Visa from 3 to 6 months? or coming back after several Overstays? (of which i've provided several anecdotes of people being denied this, and several on this forum have said they personally witnessed this happening in the past couple years, more and more)

----------------------

my Migraciones update for the weekend: Public Accountants are charging about $100 USD or 100,000 Pesos for the sheet of paper, but i'm not sure the total cost yet of Legalization at their college or whatever. it takes 2 business days to legalize, so i'm looking at Wednesday, but it's 01May Labor Day here, so Thursday possible attempt to get my Precaria started.

also of note for the Crypto nerds like @crypto @CryptoMama7501 and such, the Rentista Savings would actually be a textbook example of a Smart Contract real-world use! if Migraciones wanted to certify that you had enough money to live in Argentina, they could set-up an automatic "smart" contract like when betting on BCHBull.com and you could transfer crypto like Bitcoin Cash (BCH) in an amount that would equal the current 1-year-worth of wealth. then, each month the Smart Contract on the 1st would calculate the Peso value of 5 minimum salaries, convert to the BCH crypto amount, and send you back that amount in BCH automatically, no middle-man or central authority needed. this way, your "Migraciones Savings" would be on the Blockchain and public, and unable to be changed once initiated for that year. if you run out of crypto because the Peso goes up in value relative to BCH/etc., then they could give you an expiration date for your Residency, until you deposited more into the Smart Contract. something like that.

Smart Contracts will eventually work as mortgage repayments, etc. - super cool stuff that the Blockchain was meant for.

Many people mistakenly think "whites" from USA will have it easier than darker skinned South Americans but this isn't the case as it has been so easy with Mercosur but maybe in the future this will change as well. It has never made sense all the hoops you have to jump through to get residency here legally while at the same time opening the doors for all of Mercosur to come here and milk the system of free education and healthcare.

i have never heard of an Overstay being "granted" since usually you just pay the 20 bucks the day before you fly out. are you talking about extending a Tourist Visa from 3 to 6 months? or coming back after several Overstays? (of which i've provided several anecdotes of people being denied this, and several on this forum have said they personally witnessed this happening in the past couple years, more and more)

----------------------
Sorry. I'm talking about extending a tourist visa from 3 months to 6 months. Or coming back from border runs? I don't read too much about this. I would think if it was happening over and over people would talk about it more.

Many people mistakenly think "whites" from USA will have it easier than darker skinned South Americans but this isn't the case as it has been so easy with Mercosur but maybe in the future this will change as well. It has never made sense all the hoops you have to jump through to get residency here legally while at the same time opening the doors for all of Mercosur to come here and milk the system of free education and healthcare.
Admittedly, I was able to use the special carveout for Brazilians having an automatic right to PR, but that's because even though I'm from the US, my wife is Brazilian.

That said, the door does open both ways, and Argentines have the right to go to the rest of Mercosur and reside, as well. I know several argentinos who went to Brazil for opportunities there, so...

Nothing Milei does has made sense to me.

I'm not here to dive into politics; there are plenty of forums for that. But your statement leaves me puzzled. How can you claim that nothing Milei does makes sense to you? He has put Argentina back on the map and the changes he's made offer the country a genuine chance to grow and develop. Can't you see that?

I've only glanced at a few of your comments, you seem frustrated with the new government. Why is that? Are you disappointed because Argentina isn't as budget-friendly for expats anymore? I get it, but have you considered the consequences if the subsidies had persisted?

As an expat, would you prefer to live 'like a king' in a country where everything is dirt cheap but lacks quality and variety, or live like a middle-class person in a place with higher prices, but better options and true universal healthcare?

Would you rather live like a king surrounded by homelessness, beggars, and decay?

As a foreigner, even though your dollars may not stretch as far now, you're still better off than most locals. Yet, for most Argentines, Milei's actions make sense because they want their country to flourish. You, however, appear to prioritize your own well-being over the nation and its people.

Back