Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Argentina Rentista Visa for 2024? What is the minimum income now for retirement visa for Argentina?

Canada Goose

I love this blog. I am trying to figure out the best category to apply for my DNI for Argentina. I have a small trust fund and I believe I would qualify with that passive income.

I saw this blog that says $2,000 USD per month. Has anyone done this recently? Is that still accurate?

I love that site. Yes the rates keep going down over the past many years. When I did the rentisa it was much higher. It keeps going down but I would think at a certain point it's going to go back up so might be good timing to do it now.

The minimum salary can be seen here below.

For this month it is 156,000 pesos. Multiply that by 5 = 780,000 pesos and divide by 800 (the official exchange rate) and the total is US$975 US so @Spend Thrift you need to give your assistant a raise!

For this month it is 156,000 pesos. Multiply that by 5 = 780,000 pesos and divide by 800 (the official exchange rate) and the total is US$975 US so @Spend Thrift you need to give your assistant a raise!
Yeah! He CAN do something right! That's going to be a breeze. My social security payment is over double that amount.

Correct but remember if the government sticks to only lowering the value based on the rolling peg to white of 800 won't really budge much. However, the first number (156,000) might go up, not as fast as inflation, but not too far off either, you know? And if the country goes into hyperinflation mode super quickly and the minimum salary tags along, it might not be so great for rentistas (and pensionistas) in the long run. Like scary, know what I mean?

@Canada Goose we are in this together, my dude! i'm going to do a full write-up of the options, and edit it as i learn more. there really aren't any full guides on how to get DNI/residency/citizenship. i suspect this is because of the mindset of 'if i just pay someone in Argentina, they will solve it for me' - but that's not my style. i can't sleep at night if i'm not getting a deal : D

my primary option is https://www.asesoresinternacionales.com.ar/ for $2,000 USD, half up-front, half when done.

those who want to haul-ass can pay $7,000 USD and hire Rubilar. he wants USD cash only, which is a pain in the ass, whereas other lawyers like Celano will accept Zelle ($1,500 USD to start, $1,500 when residency granted)

i agree that these estimates of 975 or under 2,000 are wrong, but only because the law was (stupidly) written in Pesos when there was hyperinflation. for anyone doing DNI/residency, let's make this thread that Mr Canuck Goose created to share info and make sure the law firms aren't being douchebags or misleading us. i have heard from 90% of responses that the USD number is 2,000 per month, preferably in Rental income out of Argentina (which won't apply to most regular Expats). there are other options like a Trust, Pension, etc., but i have read in a few places that "Rentista" is the least-common and thus quickly approved if you pay a lawyer that gets them approved regularly.

@Canada Goose we are in this together, my dude! i'm going to do a full write-up of the options, and edit it as i learn more. there really aren't any full guides on how to get DNI/residency/citizenship. i suspect this is because of the mindset of 'if i just pay someone in Argentina, they will solve it for me' - but that's not my style. i can't sleep at night if i'm not getting a deal : D

my primary option is https://www.asesoresinternacionales.com.ar/ for $2,000 USD, half up-front, half when done.

those who want to haul-ass can pay $7,000 USD and hire Rubilar. he wants USD cash only, which is a pain in the ass, whereas other lawyers like Celano will accept Zelle ($1,500 USD to start, $1,500 when residency granted)

i agree that these estimates of 975 or under 2,000 are wrong, but only because the law was (stupidly) written in Pesos when there was hyperinflation. for anyone doing DNI/residency, let's make this thread that Mr Canuck Goose created to share info and make sure the law firms aren't being douchebags or misleading us. i have heard from 90% of responses that the USD number is 2,000 per month, preferably in Rental income out of Argentina (which won't apply to most regular Expats). there are other options like a Trust, Pension, etc., but i have read in a few places that "Rentista" is the least-common and thus quickly approved if you pay a lawyer that gets them approved regularly.
@StatusNomadicus ,

Thank you bro! You're gung-ho! I love it. I just don't have the time. Between work and selling my townhouse and my mother getting a stroke a few months ago I am up to my eyeballs with things to do. I think for most people we put a value on our time. I don't know how many hours this would take me to figure out. I am sure I make a lot more money per hour than wasting on this. I think for most people you can spin your wheels for weeks or months but we don't have the time.

But great you do! It will be fun to read your journey. I'm not sure if what the minimums are but I read that link and it looks like it's just a formula of minimum wage X 5. I think they adjust it every few months so I would think it's whatever it says on the government website but what do I know.

Thanks for posting the journey!

Thanks for being so detailed. You must type fast. You provide a lot of details. This website sounds like a great deal at $2,000 USD. I think that is what I paid many years ago and a buck was worth more then. With inflation I figured it would be worth more. Are there reviews of that place or how did you hear of it @StatusNomadicus?

@StatusNomadicus ,

Thank you bro! You're gung-ho! I love it. I just don't have the time. Between work and selling my townhouse and my mother getting a stroke a few months ago I am up to my eyeballs with things to do. I think for most people we put a value on our time. I don't know how many hours this would take me to figure out. I am sure I make a lot more money per hour than wasting on this. I think for most people you can spin your wheels for weeks or months but we don't have the time.

But great you do! It will be fun to read your journey. I'm not sure if what the minimums are but I read that link and it looks like it's just a formula of minimum wage X 5. I think they adjust it every few months so I would think it's whatever it says on the government website but what do I know.

Thanks for posting the journey!
COMPLETELY agree with you. Even with the lawyers it is not easy I don't think. It takes a lot of time. Nothing in Argentina is easy. I read you don't speak Spanish well @StatusNomadicus. I can't imagine this journey not speaking Spanish fluently. I agree with @Canada Goose you simply must put a value on your time. If you have no job then it is ok but a lot of people that aren't retired have a job. Or even the retired, don't want to get bogged down for weeks or months in this process. Nothing is easy here as you will find out.

i consistently see 2,000 USD monthly for Rentista, but sure, depends on what you trust your lawyer to do

i have some time, and i'm learning everything i can about Argentina, so keep me apprised of what you're doing and i'd be happy to research some stuff for ya (since i'd be doing it, anyway, probably)

I did my DNI a while ago but my buddy wants to move to BA. He has been down now 6 months and he knows he wants to call it home. He is a retired Navy Seal and has a pension. He visited with a lawyer who told him that he definitely met the financial requirements of the Pensioned Visa but told him that he had to transfer his entire pension to an Argentine bank at the white official rate. Does this make sense? I didn't do this when I went through this process.

I did my DNI a while ago but my buddy wants to move to BA. He has been down now 6 months and he knows he wants to call it home. He is a retired Navy Seal and has a pension. He visited with a lawyer who told him that he definitely met the financial requirements of the Pensioned Visa but told him that he had to transfer his entire pension to an Argentine bank at the white official rate. Does this make sense? I didn't do this when I went through this process.
My friend did this and she did have to do it but if my memory serves me correctly only for the first three years of temporary residency for her pensionista residency. You have to renew it and after the 3rd time you renew it then it turns into a permanent DNI and residency. Once you gain permanent residency you can stop doing it. It's a limited time of 3 years and who knows this could change next month with Milei.

And remember it's not your entire pension. Look above. It changes every month. It has to be the # outlined as the # = 5 times the minimum monthly salary in Argentina. That number is released each month and takes in account the official white exchange rate. I'm not sure if the immigration attorney explained that to you. You can keep any excess amount over and above that in your foreign bank account.

Also, ask your lawyer about this boletin that came out earlier this year and report back as I haven't seen much information about this.

When you check out the rules, it's pretty obvious that temporary residents with a Rentista status still need to bring in their money to the country, just like before. But when you dive into the details, it's not so clear if the same rule applies to Pensionista residents. They didn't used to have to show a minimum pension amount or bring it into the country, and definitely not at the official rate. Migraciones might be reading the rules that way, which seems like a strict and questionable interpretation of their own regulations.

There's a ton of stuff not covered in the rules. Figuring out how and when they calculate the amounts is one big question, especially with the exchange rate and minimum monthly salary being all over the place. Another thing is the whole deal with converting money at the official rate. Can someone, for instance, receive pesos through Western Union assuming it's an "authorized financial institution by the Central Bank of Argentina, use the Western Union rate, deposit the equivalent of the minimum monthly salary in a local bank (at the rate for that month) times 5, and be good? If not, why not?

No one here has spilled the beans on how these new rules are actually supposed to work or how they're playing out in real life. Even the legal eagles who chime in on the forum are keeping mum.

You might end up being the guinea pig unless someone who's gone through the process since June 1 spills the beans here.

transfer his entire pension to an Argentine bank at the white official rate
your dude needs to get initial info and quotes from several lawyers...no one here has done this any time recently, from what i've read, and it's changed a lot.

1. https://www.asesoresinternacionales.com.ar/

2. https://www.rubilarcitizenship.com/citizenship

3. https://argentinaresidency.com/who-we-are-&-testimonials

4. https://www.celano.com.ar/our-firm/

5. https://sierraimmigration.com/ (haven't heard much, just offering another one to research)

keep us apprised here so we can learn! your buddy should for sure make a profile here, and follow Mara on twitter: www.x.com/BowTiedMara

A friend of a friend went through this process a few months ago. He is in the USA now for Christmas until February but I will ask more details when he returns. He said he took his financial documents from his pension paperwork and had to get it all translated by an official translator along with his social security verification letter and his FBI arrest record. He turning over everything he got a migraciones appointment for the following week. He took his Porteña girlfriend that communicated for him.

A friend of a friend went through this process a few months ago. He is in the USA now for Christmas until February but I will ask more details when he returns. He said he took his financial documents from his pension paperwork and had to get it all translated by an official translator along with his social security verification letter and his FBI arrest record. He turning over everything he got a migraciones appointment for the following week. He took his Porteña girlfriend that communicated for him.
Great! Can you ask him the precise requirements that Migraciones is imposing on new Pensionista residents – not just showcasing pension income but also bringing that income into the country in particular sums at designated intervals, and doing so using methods that necessitate converting the funds at the official exchange rate – it would be extremely beneficial to share those details here.

Great! Can you ask him the precise requirements that Migraciones is imposing on new Pensionista residents – not just showcasing pension income but also bringing that income into the country in particular sums at designated intervals, and doing so using methods that necessitate converting the funds at the official exchange rate – it would be extremely beneficial to share those details here.
When I went through the process, neither my immigration attorney or migraciones asked about anything else. I also had to have everything officially translated to Spanish and certified. They wanted my FBI arrest record, Social Security income verification letter and that is all. The one question I thought was hilarious was the Argentine migraciones interviewer with a straight face so I know they were totally serious asked what happens if the USA government runs out of money and my social security income would continue forever. We all laughed. She wasn't laughing at all but I explained I don't think we need to worry about this for a while. I told her I think maybe that is a problem my daughter will face.

This is all very helpful info! Thanks everyone for sharing knowledge. This is what these forums is all about! If anyone that has been through the process recently can comment about your experiences with Temporary Pensionista visa process and what Migraciones has told you. Is it really the 5 times the monthly minimum salary? Any details would be helpful for ALL of us going through this process.

your dude needs to get initial info and quotes from several lawyers...no one here has done this any time recently, from what i've read, and it's changed a lot.

1. https://www.asesoresinternacionales.com.ar/

2. https://www.rubilarcitizenship.com/citizenship

3. https://argentinaresidency.com/who-we-are-&-testimonials

4. https://www.celano.com.ar/our-firm/

5. https://sierraimmigration.com/ (haven't heard much, just offering another one to research)

keep us apprised here so we can learn! your buddy should for sure make a profile here, and follow Mara on twitter: www.x.com/BowTiedMara
This is great! Thanks for taking the time to post these options. A few of the names sound familiar. I was reading online that it's possible to apply for citizenship for Argentina immediately right after getting here without going through the Pensionista temporary visa process. I believe that is what Dr. Rubilar does? That even sounds like a cheaper option when I do the math.

Citizenship is a totally different issue/matter. I think it's equally important. Someone should start a separate thread on that topic. I'd be curious to reading and also participating in that thread.

This Pensionista option is incredibly important for many of us that have retirement income and I believe the category that the vast majority of expats would fall under when applying. These changes from June that are outlined below no one is really talking about. Hopefully people can provide some more info on the matter.

Back