Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Has anyone applied and been approved for the Rentista visa?

Rentista update 26Apr2024: you almost certainly will need a Public Accountant (Contador Publico) to write a certification/verification letter for the Rensista process, at least in Cordoba Province. 2 things the Supervisor there was very concerned about me proving:

1. that the money is "Fixed" (fijo) and will last 1-2 years.
2. that the CPA you hire for $100 USD or so will calculate your monthly income in Pesos from Dollars, and give their word that the amount is greater than the monthly minimum wage x 5.

basically, it's a lie, because no one can guarantee anything is Fixed, other than maybe a Pension/Retirement. rental properties, savings account, interest dividends, etc. - all of these can be changed in a day, but Migraciones really is scrutinizing the Rentista. this is strange, because many of the lawyers i consulted said Rentista was easier for them, because it's much less common than the thousands of Student Residencies, etc. that most people apply for. and there isn't a lot of people who are willing to show Argentina that they are making money, since Argentina taxes are so spooky and dangerous to declare income to.

but, it's a lie you need to pay a hundred bucks for, on top of the apostilles, legalization, translation, etc. so they can be more likely to approve a Precaria so you can get a 1-year Temporary Residency.

question for anyone who has done a RADEX submission recently (past month or so) - any idea what the current wait is, in-between submitting cellphone photos/docs on RADEX, and the initial Residencia appointment at Migraciones?

in Cordoba, my RADEX submission took about a week to process, then i got a 9-day Precaria to last me until my initial appointment at Migraciones (where you get fingerprinted, take a photo, and they scan/read all your Original documents).

just wondering if CABA is sitting at a similar wait period, or it's way behind or way faster. anyone remember or have a calendar/note of how long their temporary Precaria lasted?

-------------------------

(this temporary Precaria, or Precaria-Precaria, was titled "Certificado Electrónico de Residencia Precaria" and used the photo i uploaded to RADEX). the text of the duration said:

"La persona titular del presente certificado se encuentra tramitando su residencia en la República Argentina. Conforme el artículo 20 de la Ley 25.871, queda habilitada para alojarse, estudiar, salir y entrar del/al Territorio Nacional desde el __/__/2024 y hasta el __/__/2024
SI se encuentra habilitada para desempeñar tareas remuneradas. La presente carece de valor legal si no se acompaña el Documento de Identidad consignado
."

("The person on this certificate is processing their residence in Argentina. In accordance with article 20 of Law 25,871, they are are authorized to stay, study, leave, and enter the National Territory from __/__/2024 and until __/__/2024
IF [yes?] they are authorized to perform paid tasks. This document has no legal value if the provided Identity Document is not attached.")

thanks! not sure if anyone is doing Residency still @Canada Goose @Darksider415 @NikDJ @Spend Thrift @Digital Nomad @ErnanEh

just overstay and pay
true, if you don't intend to get citizenship, this should work for now. i don't want to sit in front of a judge in 2 years and when they ask me why i violated immigration law, my only excuse is 'well people on the internet told me it was fine' (i want that passport)

@Canada Goose super sorry to hear; i will likely be back in Buenos Aires in July (currently in Cordoba Province), so if you need anything related to your apartment/etc. plans, tag me here. happy to help mang. take care of your fam, and see ya when you're back

true, if you don't intend to get citizenship, this should work for now. i don't want to sit in front of a judge in 2 years and when they ask me why i violated immigration law, my only excuse is 'well people on the internet told me it was fine' (i want that passport)

@Canada Goose super sorry to hear; i will likely be back in Buenos Aires in July (currently in Cordoba Province), so if you need anything related to your apartment/etc. plans, tag me here. happy to help mang. take care of your fam, and see ya when you're back
Just out of my curiosity, why do you want an Argentine passport so badly? Is it just to have another passport outside of your home country?

Based on what many friends have told me and my experiences buying real estate there many years ago, it's just about impossible to do everything legally in Argentina. Hopefully things change but I am told that overstaying is not an issue as it pertains to residency. I have many friends that overstayed and then applied for DNI's and only a few went on to get their passport. I don't know how easy that is and it could change in the future. But most judges probably realize how difficult the system there is to do everything legally all the time.

have another passport
yes, but the reasons are more than just convenience! happy to share some links, if you're the reading type (or anyone else). being mostly Expats on this forum, sometimes i forget that not every has been exposed to the same info:

1. https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/advantages-holding-second-passport-residence-denzil-alachia-ke0qf

2. https://internationalliving.com/category/second-passport/

3. https://nomadcapitalist.com/global-citizen/second-passport/western-countries-second-passport/

4. https://nomadcapitalist.com/second-passport/

5. https://internationalman.com/articles/second-passports/

6. https://internationalman.com/articles/doug-casey-on-second-passports/

7. https://www.schiffsovereign.com/second-citizenship/do-you-really-need-a-second-passport-147914/

8. Snowden's passport revoked for being a whistleblower, under the erroneous use of the Espionage Act: https://www.reuters.com/article/idUSL2N0EZ055/

9. Long read, but it's a legal analysis of passport revocations and the politics/law behind all of it (skim it the first time) https://cnrs.hal.science/hal-03961388/document

as a quick summary, i was a faithful subject of the US Empire all my life, and never asked questions, even in Afghanistan. later, in the Obama era, i started noticing some strange coincidences, like how the US military bases in Afghan were conveniently near oil pipelines. and then in Iraq when i did some contract work there, i saw a billion dollars of tanks and equipment being sold to the Iraqi military, and i never could find it in the news or State Dept reporting. i wondered if it was public information, hidden well, no one cared that immediately afterward ISIS had control of similar equipment, and then Edward Snowden happened.

the Obama administration had to admit to illegal spying on Americans, changed the intelligence community's procedures, DNI head James Clapper lied to Congress under oath, and then i watched the Snowden CitizenFour documentary with Glenn Greenwald and started listening to some anti-war folks like Ron Paul, Tom Woods, Joe Rogan, etc.

concurrently, i started taking 400-600-level History classes, and noticing that the CIA was involved in almost every regime-change/coup instance since post-WW2, from 1950s Korea, to the Cold War South America backing of dictators, and now to 2014 Ukraine (overthrowing a democratically-elected leader). i watched the 13 Hours movie and learned about Benghazi and how Hillary Clinton let some good dudes die unnecessarily; guys who resembled some of my former mentors in life/work. then i watched Libya, post-Gadhafi, become complete chaos, just like Afghan after the Talban (now they're even stronger), Iraq after Saddam, etc. - and on top of that, Trump bombed Syria and wanted to overthrow Assad and do the same things, until he met resistance.

i worry that someday i will have views/politics that make me a risk, so just like financially, i want to hedge my life politically/geographically. also, i'm sick of bombing kids/civilians around the world, from Somalia to South Sudan, and always messing around in the Middle East. i don't want to contribute tax dollars to genocide like Biden's Gaza, so i'm 'voting with my Dollar' and not producing taxable income in the USA (and i'm certainly not going to report foreign income to the IRS - how that hasn't been ruled unconstitutional by the Supreme Court in the past decades just shows how much of a joke they are).

i went to an entrepreneurship/networking camp about 10 years ago in Lithuania, and met "Sovereign Man" who is now publicly open about his identity, James Hickman. he just merged his business with Peter Schiff, to make SchiffSovereign. Hickman "Simon Black" was an Army intelligence officer during the Iraq Invasion who saw firsthand how the Generals lied, and Congress voted for, taking 'weapons of mass destruction' away from Saddam. the forces were not prepared for any of these WMDs, nor did low- and mid-level Officers know about any of this. that was Simon Black/James Hickman's breaking point. what would yours be?

at some point, i asked myself the "are we the baddies?" question, and after living out of the USA for 10-15 years, i just don't want to associate with the domestic politics (which creepy 80-year-old warmonger are you voting for in November?) nor the international relations. if Edward Snowden had a Brazilian passport as well, he likely would not have gotten his flights cancelled, nor extradited. he got lucky and now has Russian citizenship/passport, but he also has to stay quiet about the politics in his new country. and it's likely he'll never be able to go near a NATO border again, because the USA would snatch his ass up and let him die in prison without a jury trial.

look at Julian Assange's fate. he's been rotting in prison for 5 years, and most likely will get extradited to the USA and never see sunlight again. and probably get Epstein'd when all the cameras are magically offline. https://www.theguardian.com/media/2...eaks-video-that-exposed-us-war-crimes-in-iraq

Assange and WikiLeaks essentially ended the Iraq War early. similar to how Snowden caused the NSA to stop spying on us (i'm sure they're back at it). Kim Dotcom has a fascinating story about how he became a political enemy of Hollywood's lobbying groups, and ended up getting his life ruined, even though he's never been to the USA. https://kim.com/whitepaper.pdf

i can't be part of this. if the USA decentralizes to State's Rights again someday, i'll come back. if something like the Free State Project in NH succeeds or TEXIT happens and Texas secedes without getting the old Civil War murder treatment, i'll check it out. but i just want to be left the f*ck alone, so i can live a peaceful life and try to make positive change in whatever community i am living in. because of this, i am convinced having a second passport and some sort of residency/citizenship just lets you not have all your eggs in one national basket. if i stop paying US taxes as a US citizen, then i'll get my house raided by the IRS, my dog will probably be killed, and i'll do prison time and be on some sort of terror watch list and no-fly list forever. so as much as i appreciate the people like Snowden, Assange, and Dotcom who risk everything, i am refusing to pay US taxes in a different way. and on top of that, i just don't think being in the USA is good for me where 80% of the population is too enthralled by the News to realize that an experimental genetic 'vaccine' is a horrible idea with no long-term studies. and then people still voted for Hillary? people still voted for Biden? people still are going to vote for Trump, after seeing him spend more than Obama? i know dozens of intelligent people who aren't these textbook brainwashed people 'vote for the lesser of two evils' nonsense, but at some point in the decline of Rome, it was smarter to just leave the empire rather than try to survive and fix it from within. we don't know if there will be a massive terror 9/11 attack before the election, now that military-aged males have been flooding our borders for years

and we don't know what further erosions of our Natural Rights will occur. but it just doesn't look like the National Debt is sustainable, and a Dollar collapse or impending housing/commercial real estate/stock market crash isn't going to be a peaceful event, given how crazy the looting/rioting was in 2014 onward, and the chaos of COVID when nothing actually happened more than a seasonal flu (yet people were fighting over toilet paper). imagine if something bad actually happened, and there were power-grid outages, and people in cities didn't have food and running water. i'd rather be living somewhere else, so i've been trying to get a second passport for a few years now.

other areas other than Argentina to research where i haven't been yet, are: Paraguay, Uruguay, Croatia, Bosnia, Poland, Austria, Slovakia. i love the Czech Republic and wish they had a better residency system...but they're also in Europe, and you could argue that the EU and nearby areas are going to have similar problems with Islamist 'migrants' - just look at Sweden's no-go Sharia Law zones. i couldn't believe there were entire neighborhoods in Stockholm where the police don't go (and i was told not to go past a certain street). the Muslim-man-on-Swedish-female rape reporting has been suppressed, if you talk to anyone in Sweden. it's so fucked-up. https://www.frontpagemag.com/sweden-may-use-army-to-fight-muslim-gangs/

and London? Sharia Law patrols? is this real life?

Argentina is looking pretty good for the 2020s and 2030s.

I am told that overstaying is not an issue as it pertains to residency.
got any links for that?

Back