Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Argentina Rentista Visa for 2024? What is the minimum income now for retirement visa for Argentina?

Wow! Thank you to everyone for all this great info! Great advice to start a new thread on the Citizenship option. That honestly sounds like a good option. Immediate citizenship seems more and more like a good idea and I'd love to read about that if someone starts a new thread on it. Thanks again!

Citizenship is a totally different issue/matter. I think it's equally important. Someone should start a separate thread on that topic. I'd be curious to reading and also participating in that thread.

This Pensionista option is incredibly important for many of us that have retirement income and I believe the category that the vast majority of expats would fall under when applying. These changes from June that are outlined below no one is really talking about. Hopefully people can provide some more info on the matter.

Long time lurker first time poster. Thanks everyone for the intelligent discussions. This forum is awesome! I love the Airbnb feel of it and I just saw you can change to dark mode by changing the style of that lightbulb. Genius!!

I will try to start a new thread on citizenship. I've only read about Chinese or Russian illegal aliens going that route. I never heard about American or European expat but interesting. It seems like you probably could go through that process but it's not cheap either and takes a long time. While going through that process can you come and go? Do you have any sort of residency where you can leave Argentina once you start that process?

I know you mentioned that obtaining citizenship is costly, and I do agree it can add up and realize that. However, the recent currency conversion rules for Pensionados also seem quite pricey.

I know you mentioned that obtaining citizenship is costly, and I do agree it can add up and realize that. However, the recent currency conversion rules for Pensionados also seem quite pricey.

Totally. So, in the worst-case scenario—picture this, even with the kinda vague June 1 thing, Migraciones might be saying: (a) both current and future temporary residency pensionistas gotta bring in their pension, (b) they gotta do it at the minimum monthly salary for regular employees (not the lower rate for pensioners), times 5, making it way more than needed for living costs, and (c) they want this in a way that converts the funds at the official rate, leaving us with unspendable peso balances that could vanish in the blink of an eye with inflation. It's like they're practically wiping out the Pensionista deal and the path to permanent residency. This has been hanging over us for almost half a year now, and it's high time we figure out if Migraciones is really going all-in on this worst-case scenario.

Or in worse worse worse worse case scenario it's not about having unspendable peso balances that just vanish with inflation. Instead, it's like turning thousands of pension dollars into dust every month (and, like, maybe for some folks, ending up with these pesky peso balances that pile up and are just waiting to be gobbled up by inflation).

When I went through the process, neither my immigration attorney or migraciones asked about anything else. I also had to have everything officially translated to Spanish and certified. They wanted my FBI arrest record, Social Security income verification letter and that is all. The one question I thought was hilarious was the Argentine migraciones interviewer with a straight face so I know they were totally serious asked what happens if the USA government runs out of money and my social security income would continue forever. We all laughed. She wasn't laughing at all but I explained I don't think we need to worry about this for a while. I told her I think maybe that is a problem my daughter will face.
Wow, that's some pretty interesting and helpful info. Thanks for sharing. It totally lines up with how the disposicion sounds, but it's kinda going against what the original poster and others are hearing from their lawyers.

Did your lawyer or Migraciones mention that the monthly Social Security income needs to hit, like, a specific amount? You know, like, at least 5 times Argentina's official minimum monthly salary like all the online and Argentina government website say?

And if they did spill the beans on that, did they mention when in the whole application process Migraciones would actually check the Social Security income to make sure your pension is hitting that minimum level? 'Cause, you know, the assessment takes a bit, and Argentina's minimum monthly salary keeps jumping up, sometimes quicker than the official peso value against the dollar goes down. Curious to know the details!

Wow, that's some pretty interesting and helpful info. Thanks for sharing. It totally lines up with how the disposicion sounds, but it's kinda going against what the original poster and others are hearing from their lawyers.

Did your lawyer or Migraciones mention that the monthly Social Security income needs to hit, like, a specific amount? You know, like, at least 5 times Argentina's official minimum monthly salary like all the online and Argentina government website say?

And if they did spill the beans on that, did they mention when in the whole application process Migraciones would actually check the Social Security income to make sure your pension is hitting that minimum level? 'Cause, you know, the assessment takes a bit, and Argentina's minimum monthly salary keeps jumping up, sometimes quicker than the official peso value against the dollar goes down. Curious to know the details!
I doubt the minimum is going to be much more than what the own Argentina government website says. My assistant said he checked with an attorney that said the amount on the website is correct but he said they are going to update it in 2 weeks. Stay tuned.

Hey there! So, I can't really guess if retirees need to deposit their cash to Argentina or will have to in the future for the first 3 years. But let me share what happened to me, 'cause I haven't seen anyone else on here who's done it lately since they started this new rule thing this summer and I hope this is helpful to all of you as your posts have helped me so much. I've been a lurker for the past few weeks. Amazing site!

I'm 53, and every month I get $4803 from my pensions. It's gonna go up by 3.2% next year due to the cost of living adjustments per the US government SSA program

I started the retirement visa thingy (pensionado) in Argentina on August 12 and got it all sorted by September 16th. I had to show them my valid USA passport, get fingerprinted, and give them a record check from Argentina (through Registro Nacional de Residencia). I also had to show a record check from the USA and I got it from California where I lived before I moved to Buenos Aires. I also had to get a certificate from my local Buenos Aires police saying where I lived, and copies proving I get benefits from the USA government. I did a police report statement from California showing that I had no criminal record.

Didn't use a lawyer, did it all myself. Got my income documents from the SSA and papers stamped by the Secretary of State of California with Hague Conventional Apostille seal, translated them in Buenos Aires, and got them approved by the College of Public Translators here in Buenos Aires. (Ping me if you need a referral).

Sent it all through Radex, including a photo for my DNI that I was going to get.

So, like, at that moment, I'd already paid the fees on August 12th (If my memory serves me correctly it was around 30,000 pesos online with my Visa card, plus 300 pesos in person at a bank with this voucher thing for DNI processing or whatever. Right after that, the system gave me this temporary pensionado ID on September 14th, and they set me up with a meeting at Buenos Aires immigration on September 16th.

Went to the appointment, got fingerprinted again even though I did it before and had another pic taken (even though I uploaded one to Radex).

Nobody brought up income requirements, bank statements, or anything about banking in Argentina.

I had to sign a bunch of stuff super fast, didn't really get a chance to read it all. Then they gave me this website below and told me to check it the next business day for an update on my temporary ID.

That's it, easy peasy. The whole appointment thing took like 10-15 minutes, but I had to wait a bit.

After that, my website status was like "awaiting approval". - On the website it said, "Tramite en Proceso de Supervision"

My temporary ID from the immigration appointment ran out on November 24. I jumped on the online portal on November 10 to renew it, and by November 14th, it was good to go until February 15, 2024.

Towards the end of November, I saw I moved past the "waiting for the approval" (on the website it said "Tramite en Proceso de Supervision" phase, and now I'm just waiting for them to finish up the residency protocol thing. The earlier steps are all green, but the current one is still blue, which means it's still happening.

Super straightforward and chill process. Just to sum it up, no one talked about income rules, banking in Argentina, or any of that stuff during my appointment.

Hope my story helps you out, 'cause it seems like I'm the only one who's been through this lately with the new rules. I wish more people would share information online but after being a lurker for a few weeks I felt like I had to share the info.

Hey there! So, I can't really guess if retirees need to deposit their cash to Argentina or will have to in the future for the first 3 years. But let me share what happened to me, 'cause I haven't seen anyone else on here who's done it lately since they started this new rule thing this summer and I hope this is helpful to all of you as your posts have helped me so much. I've been a lurker for the past few weeks. Amazing site!

I'm 53, and every month I get $4803 from my pensions. It's gonna go up by 3.2% next year due to the cost of living adjustments per the US government SSA program

I started the retirement visa thingy (pensionado) in Argentina on August 12 and got it all sorted by September 16th. I had to show them my valid USA passport, get fingerprinted, and give them a record check from Argentina (through Registro Nacional de Residencia). I also had to show a record check from the USA and I got it from California where I lived before I moved to Buenos Aires. I also had to get a certificate from my local Buenos Aires police saying where I lived, and copies proving I get benefits from the USA government. I also did an FBI background check.

Didn't use a lawyer, did it all myself. Got my income documents from the SSA and papers stamped by the Secretary of State of California with Hague Conventional Apostille seal, translated them in Buenos Aires, and got them approved by the College of Public Translators here in Buenos Aires. (Ping me if you need a referral).

Sent it all through Radex, including a photo for my DNI that I was going to get.

So, like, at that moment, I'd already paid the fees on August 12th (If my memory serves me correctly it was around 30,000 pesos online with my Visa card, plus 300 pesos in person at a bank with this voucher thing for DNI processing or whatever. Right after that, the system gave me this temporary pensionado ID on September 14th, and they set me up with a meeting at Buenos Aires immigration on September 16th.

Went to the appointment, got fingerprinted again even though I did it before and had another pic taken (even though I uploaded one to Radex).

Nobody brought up income requirements, bank statements, or anything about banking in Argentina.

I had to sign a bunch of stuff super fast, didn't really get a chance to read it all. Then they gave me this website below and told me to check it the next business day for an update on my temporary ID.

That's it, easy peasy. The whole appointment thing took like 10-15 minutes, but I had to wait a bit.

After that, my website status was like "awaiting approval".

My temporary ID from the immigration appointment ran out on November 24. I jumped on the online portal on November 10 to renew it, and by November 14th, it was good to go until February 15, 2024.

Towards the end of November, I saw I moved past the "waiting for the approval" phase, and now I'm just waiting for them to finish up the residency protocol thing. The earlier steps are all green, but the current one is still blue, which means it's still happening.

Super straightforward and chill process. Just to sum it up, no one talked about income rules, banking in Argentina, or any of that stuff during my appointment.

Hope my story helps you out, 'cause it seems like I'm the only one who's been through this lately with the new rules.
Wow!!! Thanks for this really helpful information. It's incredibly helpful and thanks for taking the time to post the URL links. Just incredible information and great to hear about all the steps. You the GOAT!

Thank you @Handy Andy! This is probably one of the best posts I have seen online for this process. I post on the old forum too and there is a lot of conflicting information. My expat friend is going through this process now with a lawyer and she said even she was confused by the June update and it didn't make sense to her about converting to pesos. It's good to hear @Handy Andy didn't have to go through this.

You make it sound like you can do it yourself. Are you fluent in Spanish? Again, thanks for sharing.

Thank you @Handy Andy! This is probably one of the best posts I have seen online for this process. I post on the old forum too and there is a lot of conflicting information. My expat friend is going through this process now with a lawyer and she said even she was confused by the June update and it didn't make sense to her about converting to pesos. It's good to hear @Handy Andy didn't have to go through this.

You make it sound like you can do it yourself. Are you fluent in Spanish? Again, thanks for sharing.
Yes I am fluent in Spanish. My mom is originally from Mexico and thank God growing up she forced me to learn Spanish. It came in handy.

I think it just depends on how nice the person you are dealing with at immigrations or wherever you may be going to. I don't think you really need to spend thousands of dollars on a lawyer. I like figuring things out. I figured I had nothing to lose and I had a lot of time.

Yeah, in theory, if they start enforcing the official exchange rate thing on not just people with income from rentals but also pensioners, you could decide later on to leave and try applying for a visa somewhere else. But, you know, in the end, and this is just me talking, wanting to live in Argentina should be about more than just the money perks you get from the blue dollar.

If you're only here because your money goes further than in your home country, and you don't like the idea of banking at the official rate, then maybe consider going somewhere else. I mean, who knows if that rule will actually happen or not. You might be told to do it now, or maybe later when you renew your temporary residency after the first year... or maybe never. I will wait and see. This was kind of an experiment to see if things in Argentina are really as difficult as everyone says they are.

And if, in the future, they tell you as a pensioner that you need to bank at the official rate after being here for at least a year on your visa, you could leave and go somewhere else, stick with it and bank officially, or switch to a student visa, go to school for a year (for free, at least for now), and then be eligible for naturalization after two years (instead of three for permanent residency).

Chances are, if you're on a pensioner visa here in Argentina, you're not really looking to work. You only have to pay taxes on income you earn in Argentina, not on benefits you get, especially if those benefits are tax-free from the U.S. government for Social Security. Sure, banking at the official rate in Argentina doesn't count as a tax, but it does reduce your buying power. Just remember, with SSA and Veteran's Administration, the U.S. government sees it as unearned or passive income, not something you worked for. SSA is an entitlement based on your ability to work, while VA is compensation for your military service and the hardships you faced.

Personally I think maybe these immigration attorneys are paying kick backs to speed up the process but I can't say for sure. That's just my personal opinion. I feel super smart for doing this myself and I think working with an attorney is a complete waste of money. You know that scene in Titanic where Leonardo di Caprio is on top with Kate Winslet? "I'm King of the World!".

This is great! Thanks for taking the time to post these options. A few of the names sound familiar. I was reading online that it's possible to apply for citizenship for Argentina immediately right after getting here without going through the Pensionista temporary visa process. I believe that is what Dr. Rubilar does? That even sounds like a cheaper option when I do the math.
I asked a lawyer and he said this is an urban fairy tale. He said sure someone may finally be able to do it but he said it takes many years and you can't leave Argentina until it's done. This is a HARD NO for me.

OK sorry everyone. You know that scene in Titanic when Leonardo de Caprio was painting Kate Winslet nude and he thought he was going to end up with her after the voyage but ended up dying in the freezing cold in the middle of the freezing Atlantic instead. So I'm NOT king of the world.

I just checked and I got this notification, "Tramite Intimado". I guess it seems like they are requesting more information. I'm translating it in English for all of you that can't speak Spanish which seems like many expats in Buenos Aires.

You are hereby invited, within 30 days of notification, to submit to the Delegation of this DNM with jurisdiction over your domicile, the following documentation: ATTACH US CRIMINAL RECORD CERTIFICATE ISSUED BY THE FBI, APOSTILLED, TRANSLATED AND LEGALIZED BY THE COLLEGE OF PUBLIC TRANSLATORS OF CABA AND MUST PRESENT A BANK INSTRUMENT (BANK ACCOUNT) OR A FINANCIAL INSTITUTION AUTHORIZED BY THE CENTRAL BANK OF THE ARGENTINE REPUBLIC THAT CERTIFIES THE INCOME INTO THE COUNTRY OF THE FUNDS FROM THE PENSION ACCREDITED IN THE REFERENCE FILE. THE AMOUNT TO BE INTRODUCED MUST CORRESPOND AT MINIMUM TO A PERIOD OF SIXTY (60) DAYS CONSIDERING FIVE (5) SMV PER PER MONTH.

Here is the original in Spanish word for word, "Por la presente se lo intima dentro de los 30 días de notificada/o a presentar ante la Delegación de esta DNM con jurisdicción sobre su domicilio, la siguiente documentación: ADJUNTAR CERTIFICADO DE ANTECEDENTES PENALES DE EEUU EMITIDOS POR EL FBI,APOSTILLADO ,TRADUCIDO Y LEGALIZADO ANTE EL COLEGIO DE TRADUCTORES PUBLICOS DE CABA Y DEBERÁ PRESENTAR INSTRUMENTO BANCARIO (CUENTA BANCARIA) O DE INSTITUCION FINANCIERA AUTORIZADA POR EL BANCO CENTRAL DE LA REPÚBLICA ARGENTINA QUE CERTIFIQUE EL INGRESO AL PAÍS DE LOS FONDOS PROVENIENTES DE LA PENSIÓN ACREDITADA EN EL EXPEDIENTE DE REFERENCIA . EL MONTO A INTRODUCIR DEBERÁ CORRESPONDERSE MÍNIMAMENTE CON UN PLAZO DE SESENTA (60) DÍAS CONSIDERANDO CINCO (5) SMV POR POR MES."

I just talked to a lawyer and he said that the police report I got from California does NOT work. I goofed up and I didn't get a FBI criminal record which is more extensive and complete than just a State record which only checks crimes in the State of California. Also, I guess we know that indeed I would have to deposit my $4,803 USD monthly pension in Argentina.

I'm not even really sure if I can open up a bank account here. I tried and the bank said I had to have a DNI so it's the chicken and the egg. I went to HSBC and Banco Galicia. Both rejected me. So this is pretty horrible and I feel like a complete idiot. Forget what I said about not paying a lawyer.

OK sorry everyone. You know that scene in Titanic when Leonardo de Caprio was painting Kate Winslet nude and he thought he was going to end up with her after the voyage but ended up dying in the freezing cold in the middle of the freezing Atlantic instead. So I'm NOT king of the world.

I just checked and I got this notification, "Tramite Intimado". I guess it seems like they are requesting more information. I'm translating it in English for all of you that can't speak Spanish which seems like many expats in Buenos Aires.

You are hereby invited, within 30 days of notification, to submit to the Delegation of this DNM with jurisdiction over your domicile, the following documentation: ATTACH US CRIMINAL RECORD CERTIFICATE ISSUED BY THE FBI, APOSTILLED, TRANSLATED AND LEGALIZED BY THE COLLEGE OF PUBLIC TRANSLATORS OF CABA AND MUST PRESENT A BANK INSTRUMENT (BANK ACCOUNT) OR A FINANCIAL INSTITUTION AUTHORIZED BY THE CENTRAL BANK OF THE ARGENTINE REPUBLIC THAT CERTIFIES THE INCOME INTO THE COUNTRY OF THE FUNDS FROM THE PENSION ACCREDITED IN THE REFERENCE FILE. THE AMOUNT TO BE INTRODUCED MUST CORRESPOND AT MINIMUM TO A PERIOD OF SIXTY (60) DAYS CONSIDERING FIVE (5) SMV PER PER MONTH.

Here is the original in Spanish word for word, "Por la presente se lo intima dentro de los 30 días de notificada/o a presentar ante la Delegación de esta DNM con jurisdicción sobre su domicilio, la siguiente documentación: ADJUNTAR CERTIFICADO DE ANTECEDENTES PENALES DE EEUU EMITIDOS POR EL FBI,APOSTILLADO ,TRADUCIDO Y LEGALIZADO ANTE EL COLEGIO DE TRADUCTORES PUBLICOS DE CABA Y DEBERÁ PRESENTAR INSTRUMENTO BANCARIO (CUENTA BANCARIA) O DE INSTITUCION FINANCIERA AUTORIZADA POR EL BANCO CENTRAL DE LA REPÚBLICA ARGENTINA QUE CERTIFIQUE EL INGRESO AL PAÍS DE LOS FONDOS PROVENIENTES DE LA PENSIÓN ACREDITADA EN EL EXPEDIENTE DE REFERENCIA . EL MONTO A INTRODUCIR DEBERÁ CORRESPONDERSE MÍNIMAMENTE CON UN PLAZO DE SESENTA (60) DÍAS CONSIDERANDO CINCO (5) SMV POR POR MES."

I just talked to a lawyer and he said that the police report I got from California does NOT work. I goofed up and I didn't get a FBI criminal record which is more extensive and complete than just a State record which only checks crimes in the State of California. Also, I guess we know that indeed I would have to deposit my $4,803 USD monthly pension in Argentina.

I'm not even really sure if I can open up a bank account here. I tried and the bank said I had to have a DNI so it's the chicken and the egg. I went to HSBC and Banco Galicia. Both rejected me. So this is pretty horrible and I feel like a complete idiot. Forget what I said about not paying a lawyer.
Yikes! Well that was a drastic turn of events!

They're seriously not handling the new rules well at all. Legally, I believe you can open a bank account with a Precaria (but keep in mind I know a few people that also tried and the banks would NOT do it without a DNI) so it's not a walk in the park. You basically have to convince the banks that the law says they can accept you even if you're in Precaria status

Before you even get to Precaria status, like where you're at, you can't do it. So, they're basically giving you an impossible task. Plus, asking for it in thirty days is just plain unrealistic. They're also telling you to deposit money as if you're already approved, but you're not. You totally goofed on the FBI record. It's a well known fact it MUST be an FBI record. Applying for only state is pretty common sense that is only for that state. For all they know you could be a child rapist in another state. The way they're talking about the income requirements -that whole 60 days thingy- is also pretty confusing, and even if it was a reasonable request, it would need some serious clarification.

This kind of stuff is pretty common here in Argentina. The right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. You wait for months with nothing happening, then out of the blue, you get these confusing demands. The staff seem clueless, not interested, not paid well, get all mixed up, and leave you hanging. Been there, done that. When it got as crazy as what you're dealing with, I hired a lawyer to straighten things out. Especially with the lazy summer vibes coming in, when things get even worse down there, getting a lawyer might be your best shot. Give it a shot, don't throw in the towel just yet.

To add insult to injury I just looked and now it says they cancelled my precaria! It was originally valid until February 15, 2024! I'm not 100% sure they cancelled it. I thought I was pretty smart (like Leo in Titanic) but looks like I'm going down with the ship! When I exit now I guess I will have to pay the penalty for over staying? I'm not sure how difficult it will be when I leave Argentina.

To further complicate things, I had to get a new USA passport as I was carrying it around as I was getting carded at the supermarket for a Passport or they wouldn't let me buy groceries! So someone must have stolen it from me. So the new passport was processed fairly quickly at the USA Embassy but this paperwork doesn't match and never was scanned at customs.

I realize now with not getting the FBI criminal check, change of passport you must all think I'm some kind of criminal but this is my story and it's all true.

I realize I've gone from HERO to ZERO pretty quickly. Such is the story with my life. I also take back not to use an attorney for this sort of thing. It's money well worth it probably.

Don't be too hard on yourself. This is NOT an easy country to navigate. You aren't the first expat that thought you could do things on your own. Hey, you tried!

But they probably didn't cancel your precaria. When you get an intimation it just means they want more information from you. As your email said they want more documents during your pericaria process. If you want to continue the application you just have to hand in the documents before the date they listed.

The tough thing is they are only giving you a month to respond to this with the documents they are asking for. Probably if you want to go on, I don't recommend you try to do it yourself to get more time. Or you've actually done pretty well so far but you have to go into it realizing you MUST get the FBI background check and also do the banking stuff they want.

My sister just went through the rentista LAST year and she got approved and there was NO requirement to have her social security or her pension from her company deposited into an Argentine bank. She did have to do the Apostillized letter from the Social security administration. She said she gets her funds by direct deposit to Wells Fargo and then she sends it down via Western Union to her Banco Galica account here in Buenos Aires. She used Leon Unger for her immigration attorney and was quite pleased with him.

My sister just went through the rentista LAST year and she got approved and there was NO requirement to have her social security or her pension from her company deposited into an Argentine bank. She did have to do the Apostillized letter from the Social security administration. She said she gets her funds by direct deposit to Wells Fargo and then she sends it down via Western Union to her Banco Galica account here in Buenos Aires. She used Leon Unger for her immigration attorney and was quite pleased with him.
Yeppers. This sounds par for the course based others that went through this process before the update this June. Migraciones and just about every governmental agency in Argentina has no clue what the other is doing. One person might see the new disposition as meaning that people applying for the pensionita visa category needs to bring the money in and another reads that they don't.

I honestly think you really need a good immigrations attorney to handle this chaos.

Don't be too hard on yourself. This is NOT an easy country to navigate. You aren't the first expat that thought you could do things on your own. Hey, you tried!

But they probably didn't cancel your precaria. When you get an intimation it just means they want more information from you. As your email said they want more documents during your pericaria process. If you want to continue the application you just have to hand in the documents before the date they listed.

The tough thing is they are only giving you a month to respond to this with the documents they are asking for. Probably if you want to go on, I don't recommend you try to do it yourself to get more time. Or you've actually done pretty well so far but you have to go into it realizing you MUST get the FBI background check and also do the banking stuff they want.
I feel like such a failure. Here I was bragging about being Leo and I sure was Leo only the dead Leo in the freezing cold weather. Migraciones sure poured the freezing cold water on me. Now I'm dead Leo with the white lips!

Failure! Any one have any good immigration attorney referrals?

I feel like such a failure. Here I was bragging about being Leo and I sure was Leo only the dead Leo in the freezing cold weather. Migraciones sure poured the freezing cold water on me. Now I'm dead Leo with the white lips!

Failure! Any one have any good immigration attorney referrals?
Don't feel like dead Leo! You're very much still in the game. Fear not! We are all so proud of you.

So, you're at this point lots of us hit before. You checked out the rules, got all your docs together, did everything just right, and bam, your application sailed through the first step without a hitch. Looked promising, right? But then, crickets.

You might've hung in there during the quiet times, thinking Migraciones is just a bit slow and something good's bound to happen soon. Maybe you went down to Migraciones and asked what's up, and saw a computer screen flashing "aprobado," thinking it meant your DNI's on its way in a few weeks. But nope, nada, zilch!

Maybe you went back, asked someone else, and found out "aprobado" just means an internal thing (your docs getting checked way back when) and not the final deal. A bit later, you talked to another person who said nobody even looked at your file. So, you did what they suggested – sent a fancy request to speed things up.

Kept waiting, knowing summer's coming and even fast-track stuff moves slow when it's warm. Told yourself you're legal, life's cool, and you're the Leonardo that's about to end up with Kate Winslet! Then just renew your Precaria now and then wham!

Said patience is its own reward, and, well, careful what you wish for.
Months stretched into years. Still nada. Then, out of the blue, an email lands in your inbox with some crazy, confusing, impossible demand to meet in an undoable timeframe.

Guess what? Today's the day you call in for the "big guns" and spend some money. You figure since your mama is from Mexico and you speak Spanish, "no problema". But the problem is this is Argentina and NOTHING works here like it's supposed to.

In the end, it all sorts itself out. Patience really is its own reward. Hang in there.

The biggest thing I'd be worried about is the "intimacion" you received is a whole new world of hurt. According to the notice you got, Pensionistas now have to bring their cashola into the Argentine financial system as part of the kit and kaboodle, and they also have to begin doing so before they are even granted their Visa! They are telling you to open an Argentine bank account, stick a couple of thousand dollars in it as the temporary resident's monthly requirement and only later on will they decide whether they even accept for you to get your pensionista.

This seems C-R-A-Z-Y! Technically, you can probably stay on good terms with the intimacion IF you can open a bank account, deposit money into it and get the FBI background arrest record issued and translated with said Apostille seal ALL within 30 days). But the way s/he has presented it to you makes a probably incorrect interpretation of the new rules even worse than previously imagined!

Last edited:
I SHOULD quit while I'm down. But I'm 50% Texan and I'm going to "Remember the Alamo!". Oh wait. I'm also 50% Mexican too. Not sure what to do.

In the meantime, does anyone know how I can get the FBI arrest report Apostilled? I looked on the website and see if I'm out of the USA I have to mail in my fingerprint card from here in Argentina to their address. But afterwards how do I get the report with an Apostille if I am stuck here in Buenos Aires?

I SHOULD quit while I'm down. But I'm 50% Texan and I'm going to "Remember the Alamo!". Oh wait. I'm also 50% Mexican too. Not sure what to do.

In the meantime, does anyone know how I can get the FBI arrest report Apostilled? I looked on the website and see if I'm out of the USA I have to mail in my fingerprint card from here in Argentina to their address. But afterwards how do I get the report with an Apostille if I am stuck here in Buenos Aires?

I just posted about this. See this:

Back