Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Argentina Rentista Visa for 2024? What is the minimum income now for retirement visa for Argentina?

Hey @Handy Andy! Kudos to you buddy. $4,803 USD per month in a pension. What did you do for a living? That's impressive as you're not fully retirement age so I'm guessing maybe you got hurt serving for our country or something? VA benefits?

It's not that big of a deal to send some money for a few months into Argentina. Milei will probably change it in a few months so just go ahead. You are SO close. Even if it's converted at the official rate you aren't going to lose that much. You'd pay MUCH more if you hired an attorney. I'm actually impressed with you so far.

I look at you as the Leo that was steaming up that car window and think of yourself sneaking on one of those lifeboats. You're so close buddy!

Hey @Handy Andy! Kudos to you buddy. $4,803 USD per month in a pension. What did you do for a living? That's impressive as you're not fully retirement age so I'm guessing maybe you got hurt serving for our country or something? VA benefits?

It's not that big of a deal to send some money for a few months into Argentina. Milei will probably change it in a few months so just go ahead. You are SO close. Even if it's converted at the official rate you aren't going to lose that much. You'd pay MUCH more if you hired an attorney. I'm actually impressed with you so far.

I look at you as the Leo that was steaming up that car window and think of yourself sneaking on one of those lifeboats. You're so close buddy!
Thank you!!!

Ok you give me courage to keep fighting the good fight.

Can anyone tell me what the actual financial requirement is for me? I read on another website it's 5 times the minimum salary per month. I just looked on this wonderful website and I found this thread:

From this helpful post from @Under the Radar it sounds like it's 156,000 pesos. Multiply that by 5 = 780,000 pesos and divide by 800 (the official exchange rate) and the total is US$975 US

So I need to deposit $1,950 US just to be approved. Am I doing the math right? Ok, let's assume I agree to do that. I still have to deal with the FBI Apostille issue.

I seriously doubt I can get all of this within like 28 days. That sounds like Mission Impossible to get it, receive it, Apostille and official translation all within 28 days. And there are delays getting it back and forth. Plus Christmas and New Years are coming up. I don't think anyone in either countries is going to work too much this year. This seems impossible to me.

Bank part maybe. Maybe! But not all that other stuff. Can I ask Migraciones for more time. Can I bribe someone? I just pinged a few lawyers mentioned on this thread so I'll see if what they say.

I just posted about this. See this:

Thanks @Vero I will check them out.

I just posted about this. See this:

Yip. I used the same company and worked great! But I started the process from North Carolina where I lived so I didn't have to send it from Argentina. As far as what the minimum monthly salary that amount changes every 1 or 2 months. Whatever the amount is you have to make sure it matches up with the amount it has to be. I use Western Union to get the funds sent directly into my local bank account.

Yip. I used the same company and worked great! But I started the process from North Carolina where I lived so I didn't have to send it from Argentina. As far as what the minimum monthly salary that amount changes every 1 or 2 months. Whatever the amount is you have to make sure it matches up with the amount it has to be. I use Western Union to get the funds sent directly into my local bank account.
That would be cool if I can just use Western Union. That was my original goal but I will see. I thought I knew it all but now I feel lower than low.

That would be cool if I can just use Western Union. That was my original goal but I will see. I thought I knew it all but now I feel lower than low.
It doesn't look like you will have enough time. Nothing is quick around the holidays. You need to get the fingerprint sheet to the company and they get it scanned and get it uploaded via digital format to the FBI. You will receive a digital certificate a couple days later and then you must get an Apostille for it which takes several more days but in some cases over a month.

A helpful hint is you can call the company and ask how backlogged they are and they can give you an aproximate amount of time they are backed up. That is the same with the Secretary of State when I send things to get a Hague Convention Apostille seal. Sometimes it's days, sometimes it's weeks. Sometimes it's months.

It doesn't look like you will have enough time. Nothing is quick around the holidays. You need to get the fingerprint sheet to the company and they get it scanned and get it uploaded via digital format to the FBI. You will receive a digital certificate a couple days later and then you must get an Apostille for it which takes several more days but in some cases over a month.

A helpful hint is you can call the company and ask how backlogged they are and they can give you an aproximate amount of time they are backed up. That is the same with the Secretary of State when I send things to get a Hague Convention Apostille seal. Sometimes it's days, sometimes it's weeks. Sometimes it's months.
Migraciones left hand doesn't know what migraciones right hand is doing. @Handy Andy did everything right except the goof up with the FBI report.

I have friends where months turns into years. It's like a black hole until they hire a lawyer.

The saving grace is that the official white dollar rate went to 800 pesos to $1USD so that makes it easier. But I am not 100% sure and don't think anyone is what happens to that rate in the future. If it's going to fluctuate and be manipulated at a set rate. No doubt the monthly minimum salary will keep going up. Let's see how much they raise it next month. The cost of living here will definitely go up. But things are looking up. I want to see you Handy Andy like Tom Cruise who always accomplishes the mission.

I wonder how Milei's downsizing of staff across various Ministries might affect the spirits of the staff of Migraciones. I'm not sure if it would affect their ability to process Migraciones applications in the near future. Maybe it will light a fire under their asses with the fears they will be "afuera" if they don't get more efficient.

ALL my experiences with Migraciones were very slow and painful. Even when I broke down and paid a lawyer. I think they are just inefficient on purpose. There is a method to their madness. Maybe some of Milei's new people will shine a light at how much of a nightmare it is. The entire process needs to be blown up and started over. There are no processes that work there. Maybe the new Milei Minister of the Interior, Guillermo Francos will do a much better job. One can only hope.

it seems like I'm the only one who's been through this lately with the new rules. I wish more people would share information online but after being a lurker for a few weeks I felt like I had to share the info
i want to find your twin that is doing the Rentista visa by themselves, and not just your Pensionista one! thanks for the write-up, hopefully it's similar for me

Long time lurker first time poster. Seeing this on post thread made me finally post. My husband and I are close to renewing our pensionista visa and we got a notice from Argentina saying that we now have to do a bank transfer of 790,000 pesos at the official exchange rate of 800 pesos to $1 USD.

We have an attorney but even with the attorney at times we wonder if they are making up the rules as we go? So strange this country and all the changing rules and regulations. Argentina has changed the rules/regulations now 4 times just since this summer.

It is so crazy and frustrating.

Long time lurker first time poster. Seeing this on post thread made me finally post. My husband and I are close to renewing our pensionista visa and we got a notice from Argentina saying that we now have to do a bank transfer of 790,000 pesos at the official exchange rate of 800 pesos to $1 USD.

We have an attorney but even with the attorney at times we wonder if they are making up the rules as we go? So strange this country and all the changing rules and regulations. Argentina has changed the rules/regulations now 4 times just since this summer.

Since you have a DNI you must have a bank account here in Argentina. Just make a SWIFT bankwire transfer into it. It is very easy. Now with the devaluation it's not as painful as it was prior to it.

Since you have a DNI you must have a bank account here in Argentina. Just make a SWIFT bankwire transfer into it. It is very easy. Now with the devaluation it's not as painful as it was prior to it.
Yes you are correct we do have a bank account here but we just use the Peso account. We did also set up a USD account but we don't keep any money in it. But I will see about sending a SWIFT wire. Is there a limit of how much I can receive or withdraw from the account? I feel leery about keeping any funds in it after what happened before with the corralito.

Thanks for posting! Yes it is very frustrating. I felt I was so close and now I feel so far away. I don't think I will have enough time but I will try and see. I don't like to give up. But I have to admit this country is nothing like I have experienced with how inefficient and unorganized it is. I just want to be that Leonardo Dicaprio that is steaming up the car windows below the Titanic. Please don't make me be the freezing cold Leo on that piece of driftwood.

Happy holidays all of you peeps.

we got a notice from Argentina saying that we now have to do a bank transfer of 790,000 pesos at the official exchange rate of 800 pesos to $1 USD.
which would be $987.50 USD...is that monthly, in an Argentine account counted in Pesos? for how long, 1 or 2 years?

i paid $65 to do a 30-min call with lawyer Gabriel Celano a month ago: https://www.celano.com.ar/overview-of-income-based-residencies-rentista-non-mercosur/

service has been garbage, especially because they want $1,500 USD now and $1,500 when i get permanent residency, but he said he has had success in using bank deposits as a last resort for Rentista. Lorena Gallardo from ARCA will tell you this is not possible, whatsoever.
this country is nothing like I have experienced with how inefficient and unorganized it is
i think these systems are intentionally hard, because the lawyers lobby the gov't to be gatekeepers so people just end up paying for services that they could probably do themselves (it would be like if the DMV in a US state was so bad that you needed to pay a lawyer $200 to just succeed in titling your vehicle).

i think, though, with these forums, and @steveinbsas contributions in the old forum ~2012, we can make it to regular people like us can avoid paying thousands for waiting in line a few times.

which would be $987.50 USD...is that monthly, in an Argentine account counted in Pesos? for how long, 1 or 2 years?

i paid $65 to do a 30-min call with lawyer Gabriel Celano a month ago: https://www.celano.com.ar/overview-of-income-based-residencies-rentista-non-mercosur/

service has been garbage, especially because they want $1,500 USD now and $1,500 when i get permanent residency, but he said he has had success in using bank deposits as a last resort for Rentista. Lorena Gallardo from ARCA will tell you this is not possible, whatsoever.

i think these systems are intentionally hard, because the lawyers lobby the gov't to be gatekeepers so people just end up paying for services that they could probably do themselves (it would be like if the DMV in a US state was so bad that you needed to pay a lawyer $200 to just succeed in titling your vehicle).

i think, though, with these forums, and @steveinbsas contributions in the old forum ~2012, we can make it to regular people like us can avoid paying thousands for waiting in line a few times.
I believe that is 2 years but rules and regulations are always changing sometimes on a monthly basis. I was just supposed to do a consultation with Mr. Celano this week. It doesn't sound like it was worth it? See it sounds like you ask 10 different people and get 10 different answers. So frustrating.

I don't think it is because of any lobby group. I just think everything in this country is difficult and not efficient. I had time but many people dont have time. Maybe if I could do it again I would have used a lawyer. I will see how it turns out. I don't think anyone has to lobby government for anything. The regulations are very bad here!

Please post if you are successful. This country has a lot of great things but a lot of inefficient things too. Maybe that is part of the charm for some. Not for me.

Argentina is just NOT an efficient place to do business or many things. I love a LOT about Argentina but I also hate a lot of things about Argentina. Milei or no MIlei I don't think these things will ever change too much. Laws and rules are constantly changing. So you really have to stay on top of things.

There has been 100 years from being one of the wealthiest countries in the world to one of the ones with the most economic issues. Changing things is NOT something that is going to happen in months or even years. Most likely it will take a decade or more for true systemic change. Or maybe never at all.

doesn't sound like it was worth it?
Celano used to do a lot of immigration; they are so swamped with commercial/developer law work that they only take referrals like from WhereCanILive. the responses have been poor and the motivation slow all of Nov and Dec. up to you if you think $65 for a 30-min Zoom spiel is worth it. they have some info sheets but a lot of the info is verbal since a lot in BsAs is "black" or hush-hush about how to make things happen. i've noticed a lot of people don't want to put things in writing.

Argentina is just NOT an efficient place to do business or many things. I love a LOT about Argentina but I also hate a lot of things about Argentina. Milei or no MIlei I don't think these things will ever change too much. Laws and rules are constantly changing. So you really have to stay on top of things.

There has been 100 years from being one of the wealthiest countries in the world to one of the ones with the most economic issues. Changing things is NOT something that is going to happen in months or even years. Most likely it will take a decade or more for true systemic change. Or maybe never at all.
Agreed! 99.999% of people don't understand Argentina and will never understand Argentina. I like Milei and he is off to a good start but never underestimate the amount of systemic corruption inside Argentina. It's a broken country. You can make money inside Argentina but only if you understand how broken it is and you structure a business to take advantage of the broken system. Most of us will not see the changes in Argentina that we would like to see.

Celano used to do a lot of immigration; they are so swamped with commercial/developer law work that they only take referrals like from WhereCanILive. the responses have been poor and the motivation slow all of Nov and Dec. up to you if you think $65 for a 30-min Zoom spiel is worth it. they have some info sheets but a lot of the info is verbal since a lot in BsAs is "black" or hush-hush about how to make things happen. i've noticed a lot of people don't want to put things in writing.
My father accountant. He say many people don't want to put the things in writing because almost no one does 100% in white or legal way. He say almost impossible to do 100% in legal way. So no one wants to put things in writing. I'm not sure if this is the case with this or not. I feel happy so many people want to live in my country.

Last edited:
@Handy Andy any updates? i know your Pensionista category is different than mine, but it seems 90% of it will pertain to Rentista stuff.

i haven't braved Migraciones yet regarding Rentista. i'd like to go it alone, but i worry no one has actually done this solo, so maybe these 1-year visas are de-factor not possible unless you pay a lawyer thousands.

anyone else know anyone who has done Rentista/Pensionista by themselves, at Immigrations?

Back