Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Thoughts on last night's situation in the Middle East?

Biggest problem for us down here: to get money from our accounts abroad.
I think that in the event of WW3 it won't matter where you have your cash. All of a sudden all of these Argentines with cash literally under their mattresses will seem like geniuses! It's a good idea these days to try to have multiple permanent residencies and banking relationships in various countries but for sure under the worst case scenarios it would be very ugly.

I think that in the event of WW3 it won't matter where you have your cash. All of a sudden all of these Argentines with cash literally under their mattresses will seem like geniuses! It's a good idea these days to try to have multiple permanent residencies and banking relationships in various countries but for sure under the worst case scenarios it would be very ugly.
This is true. My husband started buying bitcoin as he thinks that will be easier in the event of a war but I am not so sure. I see online that people can't spend their bitcoin here in Argentina too easily. That surprised me in doing some basic research. I think if some war broke out, cash would still be the most desirable.

It sounds like many Argentines just have a lot of cash they hold in their houses. We will probably do the same with some as we can't take a chance of having no money with a baby coming and a 3 year old.

We are moving to Argentina to be safer as it is further out of conflict zones and a neutral country. We feel blessed it's very easy to have an anchor baby here.

It sounds like many Argentines just have a lot of cash they hold in their houses. We will probably do the same

It's a good idea, yes. If you have or plan to have a maid, just make sure she will never find out where you keep your money/valuables.

A mature maid may have a troubled child who keeps bad company, a young maid may have a troubled novio. You never know. It's not an Argentine problem, it happens all over the world these days with so many people being desperate for money to buy drugs.

It's a good idea, yes. If you have or plan to have a maid, just make sure she will never find out where you keep your money/valuables.

A mature maid may have a troubled child who keeps bad company, a young maid may have a troubled novio. You never know. It's not an Argentine problem, it happens all over the world these days with so many people being desperate for money to buy drugs.
A good safe is very important anywhere in Latin America. So true @Sunny about maids with issues. I have already had each of these scenarios you have described!

Yes we already have lived in Mexico and Brazil for my husband's work. What we have done in the past is have a hidden section in our closet and then an in wall safe. We mostly kept my necklaces but we will keep a steady amount of cash in Argentina just in case. Thanks for the reminder about a good safe. I looked online on Mercado Libre and I don't see many good safes. There seems to be only cheap ones. Does anyone sell hotel quality safes? Or biometric safes like in the USA?

Yes we already have lived in Mexico and Brazil for my husband's work. What we have done in the past is have a hidden section in our closet and then an in wall safe. We mostly kept my necklaces but we will keep a steady amount of cash in Argentina just in case. Thanks for the reminder about a good safe. I looked online on Mercado Libre and I don't see many good safes. There seems to be only cheap ones. Does anyone sell hotel quality safes? Or biometric safes like in the USA?
They don't have good safes here. We bought one and brought it with us from the States. They don't export good ones here. You have to bring your own. You might also want a safe deposit box at a bank close to where you live. I'd rather do that vs. having lots of cash at home.

They don't have good safes here. We bought one and brought it with us from the States. They don't export good ones here. You have to bring your own. You might also want a safe deposit box at a bank close to where you live. I'd rather do that vs. having lots of cash at home.
Be careful of those digital safes they sell here on Mercado Libre. I lost my key to unlock it and forgot my code and had to call a locksmith and he just hit the top of the safe with a rubber mallet and it opened right up. He said the safest was with a key.

Amazing how flawed so many safes are and how easy it is to get around.
I use this Amazon basics as a "decoy" safe in my house so thieves think it has something in it. I put some costume jewelry in it. I had a safe installed within my wall. I'm told this is the best method. Some Argentine friends do the same thing.

Also do you all view Israel as making the first aggressive move or Iran? Didn't Israel bomb and murder military personnel in Syria first? Wasn't that what provoked Iran into sending the missiles? Or do you all not count that? It seems like more and more friends are losing sympathy for Israel. It seems like it needs to be careful especially if the USA doesn't support it.

I use this Amazon basics as a "decoy" safe in my house so thieves think it has something in it. I put some costume jewelry in it. I had a safe installed within my wall. I'm told this is the best method. Some Argentine friends do the same thing.

Also do you all view Israel as making the first aggressive move or Iran? Didn't Israel bomb and murder military personnel in Syria first? Wasn't that what provoked Iran into sending the missiles? Or do you all not count that? It seems like more and more friends are losing sympathy for Israel. It seems like it needs to be careful especially if the USA doesn't support it.
Smart idea about the dummy safe. That seems like a genius idea!

Israel did bomb and murder the Iran general. It told the USA when the bomb was already en-route. I don't think you can murder someone and expect that other country to be ok with it. That entire region has always been in conflict and probably always will be until one country nukes the other one which will obviously draw in other superpower nations.

I thought the cold war long ended but now I am not so sure.

Amazing how flawed so many safes are and how easy it is to get around.
Yes most of these safes are really worthless when it comes to actual security.

Yep. This is what I also did in my office in Buenos Aires. We were dealing with insane amounts of cash back in the day as we were buying a new property every few days on average. Our main safe we had behind a foot of concrete but we would have fake dummy safes in case we got our office broken into.

It is stressful in Buenos Aires dealing with so much cash. Even the safe deposit boxes at large banks back in the day were getting broken into.

We had wall safes in all of the Airbnbs we rented prior to buying our own home here, all of them were rather tiny and had been installed in closets. Those safes are very easy to open with the right tool, which I'm sure thieves have.

What you want, if you buy property here, is a hidden safe large enough for money and documents. I don't have their contact info, but there are a couple of excellent companies that work with banks and install that type of safe. If you are going to be renting, perhaps a caja de seguridad would be safer than having a not very secure safe at home. We used this company for a few months, last year: Hausler, they are in Belgrano, Recoleta, Palermo and several other locations in CABA and Zona Norte. Their WhatsApp number: +54 9 11 7141-0700

But Israel has to strike back at Iran. If not, it sets a dangerous precedent for them.
no. Netanyahu started it by bombing a consulate. the news has programmed you to support Netanyahu unconditionally

My Bitcoin sunk like a rock this weekend.

My friend bought in at last high a few years ago. He could have sold it and then watched it go down to 17,000 and then up to 74,000
best bet for any stock, crypto, bullion, etc. is to buy what has good fundamentals, and Dollar-Cost-Average :)

We had wall safes in all of the Airbnbs we rented prior to buying our own home here, all of them were rather tiny and had been installed in closets. Those safes are very easy to open with the right tool, which I'm sure thieves have.

What you want, if you buy property here, is a hidden safe large enough for money and documents. I don't have their contact info, but there are a couple of excellent companies that work with banks and install that type of safe. If you are going to be renting, perhaps a caja de seguridad would be safer than having a not very secure safe at home. We used this company for a few months, last year: Hausler, they are in Belgrano, Recoleta, Palermo and several other locations in CABA and Zona Norte. Their WhatsApp number: +54 9 11 7141-0700
Thank you for all of this super helpful information. It sure helps for those of us that will be moving to BA soon.

no. Netanyahu started it by bombing a consulate. the news has programmed you to support Netanyahu unconditionally
What happened to Israel by Hamas was deplorable. But I try to look at things objectively. If someone bombed US Embassy on foreign soil and some Generals or commanders died you can expect the US to respond back. I am NOT fan of Iran but countries should expect same reaction no matter who it is. If you do a wrong, expect to be wronged as well.

Those who are leaving will end up finding that living on the cheap in a nice enough location is less and less feasible.
Correct. When we moved to Mexico City a few years ago it was very reasonable but now with the exchange rate and inflation it is quite pricey. We are looking forward to moving to a more reasonable cost of living but at this rate maybe Buenos Aires won't be too cheap either!

Those who are leaving will end up finding that living on the cheap in a nice enough location is less and less feasible.
There are many very cheap places to live but the key phrase being nice enough location. Many cities that are cheap I would never want to move to. There has to be more to the equation than cost of living.

Back