Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

My Two Weeks in Buenos Aires - Summary and thoughts

I think US beef and Argentine beef do not compare, it's a bit like apples and pears. I like both, actually. However, there are some Argie cuts of beef that I think have nicer texture and flavor.

Do you remember which one? We tried Mr Ho, the Korean takeout place in Barrio Chino. The owner grew up in CABA, speaks perfect porteño and the bibimbap, bulgogi, and tteokbokki he makes are awful.

I like to cook and know how to make several of the most popular Chinese and Korean dishes in the States. Unfortunately, bringing all my kitchen paraphernalia was out of the question. I will replace that stuff, eventually, but I don't know how I feel about using Chinese made bottled sauces. In the States I used to buy only those made in the USA.
I agree about cuts of beef. Everyone always says Argentina has the best steaks but although I like some cuts here like asado de tira, ojo de bife, bife de lomo, I think overall I like the steaks better in the US.

I think the name of the Japanese place in Chinatown was Fujisan. It was the worst Japanese food I ever ate. Very bad. I went to a few Asian places in Chinatown but I couldn't find a good one. I also went to Mr. Ho and as you mentioned, was awful.

Do you remember the restaurant names and what you had?
I also like the Middle Eastern place in Soho for Schwarmas. I like Shawarma Serrano for a quick bite. Quick and easy and affordable. My favorite Chinese place in Chinatown is Restaurant Mian.

Also, here was a recent article on good breakfast/brunch places.

I also like the Middle Eastern place in Soho for Schwarmas. I like Shawarma Serrano for a quick bite. Quick and easy and affordable. My favorite Chinese place in Chinatown is Restaurant Mian.

Also, here was a recent article on good breakfast/brunch places.

Do you remember what your ordered at Restaurant Mian? Are their dishes similar to what we are used to in the States or more like P.F. Chang's?

Do you remember what your ordered at Restaurant Mian? Are their dishes similar to what we are used to in the States or more like P.F. Chang's?
I have been there a few times. It's not as good as authentic Chinese food in Asia but the owners ARE Chinese and the place is always clean, good and fast service and they make the food fresh. I have gotten crispy egg rolls, beef and broccoli, sweet and sour pork and fried rice dishes. The vegetables are always fresh. I have tried several noodle dishes too. I'd rank it 4 out of 5 stars.

Back