Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer Is dog poop on sidewalks as bad as I read online in forums and blogs? Do people not pick up after their dogs?

Jenn

I am considering moving to BA as I'm a digital nomad and I heard the cost of living there is cheap. My lease is ending on my condo in the USA in February. I am a bit OCD when it comes to cleanliness. My big concern is I keep reading about dog poop all over the sidewalks. I HATED this in Paris but it's gotten much better. We don't have this issue in NYC where people pick up after their dogs. I'm NOT a dog person to begin with but this would be too much if I couldn't walk around without stepping in landmines.

I've come across several posts about the abundance of dog waste, and it's really concerning. I had a similar experience in Cozumel, Mexico, where it was all over the sidewalks, except for the main street along the water. If I decide to get an apartment in Recoleta or Palermo Hollywood or Soho or Chico (which I heard is nice), am I going to be surrounded by waste and garbage? Can you recommend the cleanest neighborhoods?

I'm hoping to find a place where I can enjoy walking without constantly encountering the sight and smell of waste. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I am considering moving to BA as I'm a digital nomad and I heard the cost of living there is cheap. My lease is ending on my condo in the USA in February. I am a bit OCD when it comes to cleanliness. My big concern is I keep reading about dog poop all over the sidewalks. I HATED this in Paris but it's gotten much better. We don't have this issue in NYC where people pick up after their dogs. I'm NOT a dog person to begin with but this would be too much if I couldn't walk around without stepping in landmines.

I've come across several posts about the abundance of dog waste, and it's really concerning. I had a similar experience in Cozumel, Mexico, where it was all over the sidewalks, except for the main street along the water. If I decide to get an apartment in Recoleta or Palermo Hollywood or Soho or Chico (which I heard is nice), am I going to be surrounded by waste and garbage? Can you recommend the cleanest neighborhoods?

I'm hoping to find a place where I can enjoy walking without constantly encountering the sight and smell of waste. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
If you're not a dog person and you're worried about stepping in doggie doo doo then I'm not sure BA is the place for you. I wish it was better but it's all over.

Recoleta is probably better as I see people walking around with bags in their hands there at least. Palermo is pretty bad.

They should ban people owning pets if they are caught not cleaning up! I have been all over Buenos Aires and I haven't found one neighborhood that I haven't almost stepped in it. Even nicer areas like Puerto Madero have it but a little better. Be aware everywhere you walk. Nothing like stepping into it and not noticing and then tracking into your apartment!

Buy a nice floor mat! I hate lazy people like this and have yelled at least 50 people in the past few months. They don't care and don't even walk around with bags.

BA based on what you are saying is probably not ideal. I'm not sure how bad your OCD is. I also have it and I have to constantly watch where I walk. I live in Soho and it's disgusting. Not only the dog poo but also the pee. It's all over and people don't even make an effort to lead their dogs to the street.

Now with the summer and heat and humidity it's a mess. Smells. At least my doorman sprays down the sidewalk every night in front of my building. But many don't and it's disgusting.

If the police started giving tickets for breaking Law 451 1.3.12, the poop issue could be fixed in a few months by charging fines. It would make a big change that everyone could see.

Even though the law was made a long time ago, it's never really enforced. If someone gets caught and has to pay a fine, they'll feel embarrassed and probably won't do it again.

View attachment 1581
Wow I didn't know there law for this. I also wish they give ticket. I see daily people don't pick up the dog poo. I hope this change but I see it all my life. My grandma live in Recoleta and almost all the buildings her block spray every night in front the building and they use disinfectant so maybe you go for live there.

It's good that you know yourself enough to know how bad your OCD is. I will go against the grain and say you will be ok. You sound self-aware of your condition. It's NOT as bad as people say it is. Yeah the locals can be jerks for not cleaning up. But the idea to fine is a good one or mostly just have locals shame one another into cleaning. No one says anything and they should. I'm to blame as well as I see it all the time and don't say anything.

Argentina nothing really works. It's chaos. I'd say beautiful chaos. Probably what makes it what it is. Traffic laws, pedestrian laws, bike laws, picking up poop, employees getting their bosses that treat them legally and paying all their taxes. People declaring all their income and assets. If people did that then Argentina would be a perfect country.

But alas that will probably never happen. But you should still come to BA and check it out for a vacation. Maybe check it out for a week or two before deciding to live here for long term.

It's good that you know yourself enough to know how bad your OCD is. I will go against the grain and say you will be ok. You sound self-aware of your condition. It's NOT as bad as people say it is. Yeah the locals can be jerks for not cleaning up. But the idea to fine is a good one or mostly just have locals shame one another into cleaning. No one says anything and they should. I'm to blame as well as I see it all the time and don't say anything.

Argentina nothing really works. It's chaos. I'd say beautiful chaos. Probably what makes it what it is. Traffic laws, pedestrian laws, bike laws, picking up poop, employees getting their bosses that treat them legally and paying all their taxes. People declaring all their income and assets. If people did that then Argentina would be a perfect country.

But alas that will probably never happen. But you should still come to BA and check it out for a vacation. Maybe check it out for a week or two before deciding to live here for long term.
Thank you for that reassurance but I am so beyond grossed out reading all those comments. I can't imagine walking out my door and the pungent smell of poop. I heard BA gets really hot and humid still in February. What if there is a breeze and I have to smell that in the air.

How do you really think I will be OK??? How is this not a HUGE deal?? I guess some people are gross. I don't think I'm being too picky and I read a lot online about it. I forgot to mention I have a hyper-sensitive nose and sense of smell. Once I went to the park and stepped in dog poo and I got home and noticed it. I went straight to the bathroom. I vomited so violently!

I don't think BA is for me!

@Jenn dear you sound too high maintenance for Buenos Aires!

I don't want to put your OCD in over drive but there are a lot of other things that will gross you out. Growing homelessness. Also, the sidewalks are pretty janky in some areas. So you may think you are walking on a clean sidewalk but then all of a sudden a piece of pavement slab will pop up as they are all uneven. Then a mixture of urine and poop can all of a sudden pop! And you have goo all over yourself! That is probably the last thing you want to hear. Ha. Ha.

Rain water mixed with dog pee, dog poop and maybe even human urine. Imagine the different scenarios for you! I think your smelling would go into over drive!

I have kids. So walking around is fun for the whole family! Even if me or the Mrs. avoids it, Jr. has a chance to splash us! Fun!

@Jenn dear you sound too high maintenance for Buenos Aires!

I don't want to put your OCD in over drive but there are a lot of other things that will gross you out. Growing homelessness. Also, the sidewalks are pretty janky in some areas. So you may think you are walking on a clean sidewalk but then all of a sudden a piece of pavement slab will pop up as they are all uneven. Then a mixture of urine and poop can all of a sudden pop! And you have goo all over yourself! That is probably the last thing you want to hear. Ha. Ha.

Rain water mixed with dog pee, dog poop and maybe even human urine. Imagine the different scenarios for you! I think your smelling would go into over drive!

I have kids. So walking around is fun for the whole family! Even if me or the Mrs. avoids it, Jr. has a chance to splash us! Fun!
OMG! You just made me vomit a little in my mouth!

OMG! You just made me vomit a little in my mouth!
They are just playing with you @Jenn. It's not that bad!

It has gotten much better over the years. NO ONE picked up when I first moved here and now once in a while I see see people picking up. Many cities in the USA are disgusting now too. Have you been to San Francisco, Portland or Chicago in the downtown areas?

There is some homelessness but much less than I saw in Portland and SF. But Bobbie is right about some sidewalks. That IS annoying.

They are just playing with you @Jenn. It's not that bad!

It has gotten much better over the years. NO ONE picked up when I first moved here and now once in a while I see see people picking up. Many cities in the USA are disgusting now too. Have you been to San Francisco, Portland or Chicago in the downtown areas?

There is some homelessness but much less than I saw in Portland and SF. But Bobbie is right about some sidewalks. That IS annoying.
I agree it's not that big of a deal. It has gotten much better. I do watch where i walk however. But it's not that bad.

It's about your tolerance level, personally I didn't find it a big deal and developed a sixth sense for where not to step pretty quickly. With your situation and sensitivity you won't like it. And if it's a deal breaker, so be it BA wasn't meant to be. Nothing wrong with that. BA is not for everyone.
I totally agree with @FuturoBA. I don't find it's a big deal at all. In fact, I've never smelled it in the air like these other posters are saying. I agree big cities like BA aren't for everyone but odds are any big city around the world is going to have their own challenges. What other cities are you considering @Jenn?

It's about your tolerance level, personally I didn't find it a big deal and developed a sixth sense for where not to step pretty quickly. With your situation and sensitivity you won't like it. And if it's a deal breaker, so be it BA wasn't meant to be. Nothing wrong with that. BA is not for everyone.
@FuturoBA thank you. I hate to ask you this but on a scale from 1 to 10 how bad/real do you think this issue is? For example, in a typical day, how many potential times have you seen it or possibly stepped in it?

My friend said it was very cheap there. That is my #1 most important thing besides not smelling things like rotting fish or dog poop.

I totally agree with @FuturoBA. I don't find it's a big deal at all. In fact, I've never smelled it in the air like these other posters are saying. I agree big cities like BA aren't for everyone but odds are any big city around the world is going to have their own challenges. What other cities are you considering @Jenn?
Well I just heard about Buenos Aires from my friend. She just got back last week so I am starting my search. I work remotely with my job and my lease is ending on my apartment so I thought this would be a good idea. My main priority is CHEAP cost of living.

Here is my list so far:

- Buenos Aires
- Bali - I heard Ubud is nice and cheap
- Chiang Mai, Thailand
- Medellin (although people tell me it has gone down hill fast and some murders lately)
- Sofia, Bulgaria
- Lisbon, Portugal
-Siam Reap, Cambodia
- Vietnam
- Malaga (this may move to top of the list as I heard beach is nice there and it's cheap).

@FuturoBA thank you. I hate to ask you this but on a scale from 1 to 10 how bad/real do you think this issue is? For example, in a typical day, how many potential times have you seen it or possibly stepped in it?

My friend said it was very cheap there. That is my #1 most important thing besides not smelling things like rotting fish or dog poop.

Well I just heard about Buenos Aires from my friend. She just got back last week so I am starting my search. I work remotely with my job and my lease is ending on my apartment so I thought this would be a good idea. My main priority is CHEAP cost of living.

Here is my list so far:

- Buenos Aires
- Chiang Mai, Thailand
- Medellin (although people tell me it has gone down hill fast and some murders lately)
- Sofia, Bulgaria
- Lisbon, Portugal
-Siam Reap, Cambodia
- Vietnam
- Malaga (this may move to top of the list as I heard beach is nice there and it's cheap).
Since I knew it was there was always aware of it, but not at the forefront of my mind. Hard to put a number on it, maybe a 3 or 4 for me and I didn't smell it at all. Summer might be different as I was there in the fall. CABA has about 3 million people so plenty of people are living just fine with it.

Last edited:

Here is my list so far:

- Buenos Aires
- Chiang Mai, Thailand
- Sofia, Bulgaria
- Lisbon, Portugal
-Siam Reap, Cambodia
- Vietnam
I don't think you will have a difficult time here at all. Just come down and check it out. No way you will like Medellin based on what you're saying. There is some local resentment there now for tourists and digital nomads. My friend is leaving Medellin.

Lisbon is very nice and affordable. Siam Reap is very small but cheap but I think you will get bored there. Vietnam I don't recommend for you based on some of the things you mentioned.

Malaga is very nice and many Argentines moved there. So of course if they brought their dogs you're back to square one! Ha.

Here is my list so far:

- Buenos Aires
- Chiang Mai, Thailand
- Sofia, Bulgaria
- Lisbon, Portugal
-Siam Reap, Cambodia
- Vietnam
They are all pulling your leg. It's not that bad here Jenn. Come and see.

Here is my list so far:

- Buenos Aires
- Chiang Mai, Thailand
- Sofia, Bulgaria
- Lisbon, Portugal
-Siam Reap, Cambodia
- Vietnam
Clear to see you're going for budget destinations that have low cost of living. Much just depends on what you like and what things are important to you. These are all very different cities!

Back