Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Food & Drink Best Empanadas in Buenos Aires - List of Restaurants with the Best!

Howard Stern

I love great empanadas! I think that is the best food Argentina does well. It's hard to find a bad empanada. I wanted to start this thread to list the most delicious empanadas in Buenos Aires. Service is very quick and easy and you can get them to go. I always get a box to take back to my apartment. Every time my friends are in town I bring them here and they get addicted to them as well and we come back all throughout the trip.

My favorite is La Americana

Google Maps-

TripAdvisor

I don't think you can go wrong with ANY empanada in Argentina. I've been all over the country and never really had a bad empanada.

Probably my favorite is El San Juanino - Recoleta

I've been coming here for the past 22 years. I lived on Avenida Alvear and would walk down 1 block and come here a few times a week. When I eat there, I always get the same waiter. Great guy and friendly service here. They have a large selection of flavors of Empanadas and they are all great. They Milanesas are to die for here too but the star of the show is the Empanadas.

Google Map & Reviews:

TripAdvisor

I agree! Empanadas were the best comfort food I had there. It was nuts but I had one almost every day! I never got tired of them.

La Cocina - Recoleta

Google Maps

TripAdvisor

There is no such thing as a bad empanada! My favorite is in Belgrano. Do yourself a favor and make the hike up here. Amazing!

La Paceña​

Google Map

TripAdvisor

Screenshot 2023-12-17 at 10.40.22 AM.jpg

I've been in Buenos Aires a while and tried them all. I also like El Sanjuanino but I also love this place

El Gauchito - San Telmo

Google Map

TripAdvisor

Website/ FB

I don't like the pizza here but I love me some empanadas!

I agree you can't really get a bad empanada. I even in a pinch have gotten them at the supermarket at Coto and they aren't bad in a pinch.

My all time fav - Fortin Salteño

IG -

Google Maps

TripAdvisor

Great list! I haven't been to some of these places.

My FAV! The juicy beef one called Tucumana! It is amazing!

Cocina Regional

TripAdvisor

Google Map

The BEST empanada is my mother or grandmother! But you may all laugh but I love the deep fried empanada at

Long lines but as many are in line for the empanadas!

And of course NO visit to my country is complete without going to El Peron Peron which will give you an important history lesson about Argentina's greatest President. The empanadas are very good.

Wow!!!

You all are making me hungry. I am so thankful I went on Twitter to find this forum. I will try El Sanjuanino as it's near our hotel. We are staying at the Park Hyatt in Recoleta. This one looks to be just one block over!!! I'm so excited for our trip next month.

I don't think you can go wrong with ANY empanada in Argentina. I've been all over the country and never really had a bad empanada.

I've been coming here for the past 22 years. I lived on Avenida Alvear and would walk down 1 block and come here a few times a week. When I eat there, I always get the same waiter. Great guy and friendly service here. They have a large selection of flavors of Empanadas and they are all great. They Milanesas are to die for here too but the star of the show is the Empanadas.

Google Map & Reviews:

TripAdvisor

Yes, this is my go-to place as well. I love San Juanino and it's always packed with locals and tourists. People always say how they are worried about how expensive BA will get but an empanada has been about a US buck for a while now! I'm not sure if Porteños would tolerate an expensive empanada. I've really never had a horrible empanada even ordering from delivery places.

I have been going into this joint for a while and the same waiter is there. I think they give him to all the tourists/expats as he can speak English, Spanish, and Portuguese. He is always cracking the same bad jokes with me as I think they have so much volume he doesn't remember me even though I have gotten him about 20 times! I will ask his name next time. VERY friendly guy!

I agree! Empanadas were the best comfort food I had there. It was nuts but I had one almost every day! I never got tired of them.

La Cocina - Recoleta

Google Maps

TripAdvisor

I like this place too! I always get them to go when I walk by there.

I don't like the pizza here but I love me some empanadas!

I agree you can't really get a bad empanada. I even in a pinch have gotten them at the supermarket at Coto and they aren't bad in a pinch.

My all time fav - Fortin Salteño

IG -

Google Maps

TripAdvisor
I go to this place. Delicious!

The BEST empanada is my mother or grandmother! But you may all laugh but I love the deep fried empanada at

Long lines but as many are in line for the empanadas!

And of course NO visit to my country is complete without going to El Peron Peron which will give you an important history lesson about Argentina's greatest President. The empanadas are very good.

I second to visit El Peron Peron! Good for expats and tourists to understand and recognize the best and most important President Argentina has ever had.

There is no such thing as a bad empanada! My favorite is in Belgrano. Do yourself a favor and make the hike up here. Amazing!

La Paceña​

Google Map

TripAdvisor

View attachment 704
Great list! This place is my favorite. But I have tried several on this list and they are all great.

Google Map & Reviews:

TripAdvisor

I go to El San Juanino all the time. It's crowded at peak times. I like to eat an Empanada and then have a coffee at La Biela just up the street. Great area.

La Cocina - Recoleta

Google Maps

TripAdvisor

I also like La Cocina. It's very good.

Back