Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Food & Drink Best Empanadas in Buenos Aires - List of Restaurants with the Best!

I don't like the pizza here but I love me some empanadas!

I agree you can't really get a bad empanada. I even in a pinch have gotten them at the supermarket at Coto and they aren't bad in a pinch.

My all time fav - Fortin Salteño

IG -

Google Maps

TripAdvisor
Another vote for Fortune Salteño for me.

I don't think you can go wrong with ANY empanada in Argentina. I've been all over the country and never really had a bad empanada.

Probably my favorite is El San Juanino - Recoleta

I've been coming here for the past 22 years. I lived on Avenida Alvear and would walk down 1 block and come here a few times a week. When I eat there, I always get the same waiter. Great guy and friendly service here. They have a large selection of flavors of Empanadas and they are all great. They Milanesas are to die for here too but the star of the show is the Empanadas.

Google Map & Reviews:

TripAdvisor

I went here several times during my 2 weeks in BA. It was just a block down from my hotel. I was at the Park Hyatt. I would sometimes get them to go as it gets crowded there during the lunch and dinner. My female friend and I would order some and just eat them in my suite of the hotel. I thought they were pretty amazing and addictive!

One day I didn't know she was coming over and I only bought 4 for me. And she came over and she wanted some so we walked back over and ordered some more. The guys in the place were laughing at me for coming back so quickly. But then my girlfriend was laughing at me that 4 isn't enough for the both of them.

I don't think you can go wrong with ANY empanada in Argentina. I've been all over the country and never really had a bad empanada.

Probably my favorite is El San Juanino - Recoleta

I've been coming here for the past 22 years. I lived on Avenida Alvear and would walk down 1 block and come here a few times a week. When I eat there, I always get the same waiter. Great guy and friendly service here. They have a large selection of flavors of Empanadas and they are all great. They Milanesas are to die for here too but the star of the show is the Empanadas.

Google Map & Reviews:

TripAdvisor

Great empanadas! Really good service too. Only a few tables upstairs but they have a downstairs area as well.

I Went to El gauchito empanadas" a little gem in San Telmo. The empanadas are incredible and the sauce they serve them with is excellent! Super recommended.

Are empanada prices holding steady? Or have they skyrocketed up too? Typically no matter how bad the inflation is, empanada prices are not too bad.

I believe the most affordable options for the Argentine pocket are usually pizza and empanadas. For instance, a dozen empanadas can vary in price depending on the filling, ranging from 18,000 to 20,000 pesos. The same applies to pizza, where the cost can be between 10,000 and 15,000 pesos for a plain mozzarella, depending on taste and the location of the establishment.

Are empanada prices holding steady? Or have they skyrocketed up too?

Back in October, six empanadas cost 600 peso each or 3,400 peso/half dozen in the heart of Recoleta. Now I don't think you can get an empanada for less than 1,200 peso.

Typically no matter how bad the inflation is, empanada prices are not too bad.

Locals consider the current prices very expensive. Supermarkets are selling a lot more empanada pastry (tapas para empanada) and pizza crust now, since they are not difficult to make at home; a good way to save money.

Back in October, six empanadas cost 600 peso each or 3,400 peso/half dozen in the heart of Recoleta. Now I don't think you can get an empanada for less than 1,200 peso.

Locals consider the current prices very expensive. Supermarkets are selling a lot more empanada pastry (tapas para empanada) and pizza crust now, since they are not difficult to make at home; a good way to save money.
Yes even empanada prices have gone up. Price inflation from October to now has been brutal. I ordered some last week and it was on promotion. 6 is usually 8,400 pesos but it was on sale for about 5,900 pesos. A dozen is usually 16,100 pesos but it was discounted down to 12,075 pesos. This is quite a bit of money for a local salary.

LOTS of friends we know for the first time are having family make empanadas vs. buying them. Never thought I'd live to see the day. That is when you know times are tough. There should be some correlation with misery index of Porteños that aren't eating as many empanadas.

LOTS of friends we know for the first time are having family make empanadas vs. buying them. Never thought I'd live to see the day. That is when you know times are tough. There should be some correlation with misery index of Porteños that aren't eating as many empanadas.
I think that opinion is misguided. For Argentinians, making empanadas is a deep-rooted tradition, much like having an asado (barbecue). It's a way to bring the family together; in fact, they're often made for birthday celebrations or gatherings with friends. They much prefer homemade empanadas over store-bought ones. Nothing compares to the taste of empanadas made by mothers or grandmothers. I even know people who make the dough from scratch. It's a whole ritual; it's not just about saving money.

It's a whole ritual; it's not just about saving money.

Hola Cariba. I agree with Bobby Burgers. Right now it is about saving money, I'm afraid, even in the most affluent neighborhoods. With summer tourists gone, many expats moving country, and locals pinching pesos, empanada shops are not making enough money. I talk with people at the supermarket, they tell me about the changes they've been making to try and save money: eat out a lot less, make empanadas, pizza and tartas at home (to keep their kids from ordering food), buy cheaper cuts of beef.

In the past couple of months, the Coto in my neighborhood has been selling a lot more tapas para empanadas and tartas than back in October.

I think that opinion is misguided. For Argentinians, making empanadas is a deep-rooted tradition, much like having an asado (barbecue). It's a way to bring the family together; in fact, they're often made for birthday celebrations or gatherings with friends. They much prefer homemade empanadas over store-bought ones. Nothing compares to the taste of empanadas made by mothers or grandmothers. I even know people who make the dough from scratch. It's a whole ritual; it's not just about saving money.
I don't think anyone would disagree with you that homemade food is much better and preferred. I love when my neighbors make homemade empanadas. They are 5X better than any store and as you mentioned, it's a source of pride for a lot of people. As you mentioned for birthdays and parties people prefer homemade empanadas. But I think Bobby is half joking but half serious that there probably is some correlation with people wanting to also save money.

Hola Cariba. I agree with Bobby Burgers. Right now it is about saving money, I'm afraid, even in the most affluent neighborhoods. With summer tourists gone, many expats moving country, and locals pinching pesos, empanada shops are not making enough money. I talk with people at the supermarket, they tell me about the changes they've been making to try and save money: eat out a lot less, make empanadas, pizza and tartas at home (to keep their kids from ordering food), buy cheaper cuts of beef.

In the past couple of months, the Coto in my neighborhood has been selling a lot more tapas para empanadas and tartas than back in October.
Absolutely. And with teenage and young adult kids at home...
Yes I just mentioned this above. Not just expats moving out but I know many local friends that have moved to Spain or planning on it. I have also noticed the same thing with the stores selling more of that. I don't know how much less business empanada stores are doing. They are probably the last restaurant or business I worry about. Somehow I think Porteños will always find a way to eat these. I hope all of these places can hold strong and make it.

About the only thing I can still regularly afford now! Ha. Once I can't afford to eat empanadas every day I know my time in Argentina is over.

Back