Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Food & Drink One of my favorite all-around restaurants for great steaks and gourmet food - El Preferido de Palermo

earlyretirement

This is one of my absolute favorite restaurants for great steaks, great milanesas, and honestly, I've never had a bad meal here. I have eaten here over 50 times and it's never a bad experience. Usually, when I have friends from out of town, I bring them here. I used to eat at Don Julio's for the past 20 years and been there over 200 times over the past 21+ years but it's too much of a hassle waiting for a table or having to book months ahead of time. That's crazy! The steaks here are just as good.

This restaurant is #22 on Latin America's 50 Best Restaurants list for 2022. Sometimes those rankings don't jive with reality but this place lives up to the high ranking. The french fries ARE the BEST you will have in all of Argentina (and maybe the world). Even the asparagus is delicious and perfectly cooked. I promise you won't have a bad meal here. You can also grab a seat at the bar and eat there too if it's busy.

This restaurant has also recently made Michelin's top restaurant list - https://guide.michelin.com/us/en/ar...announcement-of-its-first-ever-michelin-stars

The staff is always amazing here. Very friendly. They make great lemonades here too. There is nothing to complain about and prices are reasonable compared to Don Julio.

Google Maps: https://maps.app.goo.gl/Kbj28HHAcRBUgkh26

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/elpreferidodepalermo/

Reservations: https://elpreferido.meitre.com/

IMG_0150.JPG

View attachment 380

IMG_0151.JPG
IMG_0152.JPG

IMG_0153.JPG

I just had a date here for lunch yesterday! She loved it! She had never been here before. The food was amazing. You are right, those were the best french fries I ever had. The only downside is they had no ketchup! I can't eat fries without ketchup but they sure were good!

I agree it’s pretty fantastic. My wife and I went a couple of weeks ago and it was great, as usual. Definitely always recommended.
I have only been yesterday but the food was great! I think one of my favorite meals so far in Buenos Aires the past few weeks. What is your favorite dish there Darksider? We got a bunch of stuff including salad and everything tasted so fresh. In Canada we don't have fresh vegetables and steaks don't have the flavor here. Everything is overpriced. Food somehow tastes much better when it's 5X better and 5X cheaper!

I'm jealous of all of you tourists that can eat so well. I guess everything is relative in Argentina. I feel like we have delicious food and we don't spend too much for a good asado. But reading all of your posts makes me want to someday eat at these places.

I tried sushi in Buenos Aires and it was very bad but I ordered it on Rappi. Now I dream of Osaka! But I know I will never be able to afford it at least not any time soon. I never thought I'd come to an expat forum and dream about food but your posts make me dream of food now!

I have only been yesterday but the food was great! I think one of my favorite meals so far in Buenos Aires the past few weeks. What is your favorite dish there Darksider? We got a bunch of stuff including salad and everything tasted so fresh. In Canada we don't have fresh vegetables and steaks don't have the flavor here. Everything is overpriced. Food somehow tastes much better when it's 5X better and 5X cheaper!
I’m a fan of the steaks, the asparagus and the fries. The milanesa is also fantastic, though.

I’d say the steak is 90% as good as Don Julio and at half the price.

I’m a fan of the steaks, the asparagus and the fries. The milanesa is also fantastic, though.

That's exactly right Darksider415. I'd say 90% to 95% the quality and half the prices. Don Julio is still ok for special occasions but these days I don't have patience to deal with those crowds. But they do it right at Don Julio's with the champagne, etc. They have it down to a science.

I had a nice lunch with @GlasgowJohn today here. Definitely feel the inflation going on. I came here in November 2023 (2 months ago) and IIRC, the Milenesa was only 29,000 pesos back then. Still expensive or local standards compared to other places but today it was 41,010 pesos for the same dish. That is a lot of a Milenesa. But at least it's a big portion and big enough for 2 people.

Here is the menu with prices as of January 16, 2024 along with receipt for meal.

Menu:
Screenshot 2024-01-16 at 4.41.31 PM.jpg

Receipt of Meal:

Screenshot 2024-01-16 at 4.36.14 PM.jpg

We also dined here for dinner a few weeks ago. The steak was fabulous. We thought this was one of the best french fries out of all the restaurants we had fries in. It was more affordable than Don Julio. We enjoyed that there was more room here vs. Don Julio which was very cramped. It was a very enjoyable meal. Quite honestly, all the restaurants we dined out at were excellent. Buenos Aires has wonderful restaurants. We did not have a bad meal our entire trip.

After reading so many reviews, we finally treated ourselves to a visit to El Preferido. If you're looking to try the iconic milanesa, this is the perfect place to do so. This dish, prepared with bife de chorizo, was simply phenomenal (perfectly cooked and seasoned). The side dishes were also delicious (fresh green salad and crispy potatoes). To start, we ordered faina and a raw dish with pickled peppers, which we loved.

The staff was extremely friendly and attentive, making sure we had everything we needed. Although we didn't have a reservation, we waited in line and were lucky to get in quickly (which isn't always the case). The price is a bit high, but in our case, it was worth it, as it was our first visit to Buenos Aires and turned out to be a memorable experience. Definitely recommended!

1712700096817.jpeg1712700111488.jpeg

After reading so many reviews, we finally treated ourselves to a visit to El Preferido. If you're looking to try the iconic milanesa, this is the perfect place to do so. This dish, prepared with bife de chorizo, was simply phenomenal (perfectly cooked and seasoned). The side dishes were also delicious (fresh green salad and crispy potatoes). To start, we ordered faina and a raw dish with pickled peppers, which we loved.

The staff was extremely friendly and attentive, making sure we had everything we needed. Although we didn't have a reservation, we waited in line and were lucky to get in quickly (which isn't always the case). The price is a bit high, but in our case, it was worth it, as it was our first visit to Buenos Aires and turned out to be a memorable experience. Definitely recommended!

View attachment 4227View attachment 4228
What is a milanesa going for these days? I really like this place but very expensive after the owner of Don Julio bought it. @EmilyJ do you remember what you paid for the milanesa?

What is a milanesa going for these days? I really like this place but very expensive after the owner of Don Julio bought it. @EmilyJ do you remember what you paid for the milanesa?
I heard the Milanesa is around $50 USD now. Heck, maybe more. Granted it is big enough for 2 people but still crazy high compared to last year.