Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Politics Thread: President Javier Milei - Decree of Necessity and Urgency (DNU) in real-time

Yet another 100 Days of Milei article. This one from the New York Times. More critical. I have to admit, inflation is slowing down. All my friends that voted him are still supporting him. All the ones that didn't still hate him.

Yet another 100 Days of Milei article. This one from the New York Times. More critical. I have to admit, inflation is slowing down. All my friends that voted him are still supporting him. All the ones that didn't still hate him.

It is clear that author of the NYT piece doesn't know Argentina at all. Probably never been here. And to expect inflation results the month after taking office??? That isn't realistic. If Massa won you wouldn't want to see what the first 100 days would be like. We would be in hyperinflation right now.

It seems like there is so much polarization between Milei supporters and detractors. It seems like his popularity is falling and probably will fall much harder if inflation doesn't slow down. The middle class are paying the price there along with the poor.

It is good to read news articles now that stating the obvious that Milei is going too far.

Most of the international press I read is overwhelmingly positive towards Milei. I've only read a few articles online that are negative. @Avocado does a good job of posting negative articles. Here is one below. In thinking about a move there I was wondering how the expats there feel? Do you prefer when the economy is bad and your cost of living is better or are you ok with it getting more expensive and overall society benefiting but it more expensive for you?

How are they measuring if all these employees are unproductive? I am curious about this. Firing 15,000 workers in a week sounds like potential to create huge problems with crime, etc. Shocking to read someone working 15 years at a government agency and only making $250 USD per month. I would love to see some breakdown or the typical person that got fired. Like this worker in the National Road Safety office. I wonder what his job was?

Inflation is not slowing down. Look at all the bills. My expensas went up 50% since December. My electric bill 180% more. All the things more expensive. Only people that say inflation slow down is Milei and some bots.

@Avocado / utility bills are still going up but you have to admit that the price increases in food and groceries have really slowed down compared to November ad December.

Last edited:
@Avocado / utility bills are still going up but you have to admit that the price increases in food and groceries have really slowed down compared to November ad December.
Supermarket is getting a bit better. But everything else seem like it going up. All the time in restaurant cost more. Every month more expensive for me. At supermarket things go down that were marked up because no one was buying items. Prices will probably never go back to what they were.

@Avocado Milei didn't cause this mess. He inherited this incredibly horrible economy. Do you acknowledge that? It seems like majority of Argentines are willing to be a bit patient. I know you aren't. Give him a year or two and if things haven't turn around you can say you were right. But you can't expect miracles overnight. Extreme poverty existed long before he started.

It seems like tremendous progress is being made with the reserves.

@Avocado Milei didn't cause this mess. He inherited this incredibly horrible economy. Do you acknowledge that? It seems like majority of Argentines are willing to be a bit patient. I know you aren't. Give him a year or two and if things haven't turn around you can say you were right. But you can't expect miracles overnight. Extreme poverty existed long before he started.

It seems like tremendous progress is being made with the reserves.

Exactly. Left-wing media and supporters will always try to blame others or spin things.

If you read between the lines, a tremendous amount of investments coming to Argentina and it already started since he got elected. Read the news daily and you will hear about various companies in BA or Argentina meeting with Milei or his cabinet. Milei met with Elon Musk yesterday. Big things are happening for Argentina. Milei fired dead weight and worthless jobs that no one really did anything and now he will help create true jobs that bring Argentina cash and job security and higher wages.

Elon Musk isn't an idiot. He probably wouldn't build some massive plant here until labor laws are reformed. He just wants access to the massive lithium mines Argentina has. But that is a start.

Supermarket is getting a bit better. But everything else seem like it going up. All the time in restaurant cost more. Every month more expensive for me. At supermarket things go down that were marked up because no one was buying items. Prices will probably never go back to what they were.
Inflation is slowing down. Whether you want to admit it or not @Avocado. Medical bills should slow or stop going up now. Supermarkets have lowered prices as consumers weren't buying. Milei isn't doing anything that he didn't tell us ahead of time he would do. None of what he is doing should be a surprise to anyone as this was his playbook from the start.

The only ones that seem surprised are those that voted against him.

I read that the US is very bullish on trade with Argentina. Seems like everyone is saying Argentina is getting better. But it seems like inflation is the worst than ever. I came last year and prices are 2X what they were last year. So is the economy good or bad? Half my friends say it is horrible and worse than ever and they can't afford anything. The other half at the same time are telling me things are improving. Which is correct?

I read that the US is very bullish on trade with Argentina. Seems like everyone is saying Argentina is getting better. But it seems like inflation is the worst than ever. I came last year and prices are 2X what they were last year. So is the economy good or bad? Half my friends say it is horrible and worse than ever and they can't afford anything. The other half at the same time are telling me things are improving. Which is correct?

Milei is doing terrible! I don't know how anyone can argue anything else. All of you were complaining about inflation under CFK and it was nothing like this. The inflation of the past quarter is the worst inflation Argentina has experienced. Even inflation in dollars is high. Everything is more expensive. I have been saying for months and months things were going to get expensive and get as much as States or Europe and that is happening. Many things are 2X or some 3X what they were a few months ago.

Inflation in USD has been painful for expats and previously there was peso inflation but not like this in USD. Those that supported Milei say things are getting better. Those that voted against him say they are getting worse. Who is right?

Back