Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Politics Thread: President Javier Milei - Decree of Necessity and Urgency (DNU) in real-time

Is Milei creating any more poverty than Kristina and Alberto?

16 of the last 20 years governments prior to Milei were from the Kircnerista side of politics.

How many real jobs were created in that time?

How many houses in Buenos Ares province are still without direct access to sewers?

After so many years of supposedly left wing governments , how many food banks exist in the country and how many of those food banks actually help the poor?

I could go on but I wont,

its very easy to criticise Milei after 4 months as long as you ignore his inheritance..

If nothing improves after 4 years , you are entitled to criticise but not before.
Yes it's comical to think he can sort out the many years of mess left by the dodgy K governments in just a few months.
Spot on target. I agree that we need to wait until his term is over and then people can start judging if it was successful or not.
Yes, Yes, and YES. He inherited a lot of problems. None of my friends that didn't vote or support Milei pretend that he caused this. He inherited all of this and doing his best to fix it as fast as possible. There will be bumps along the way.

Avocado, in a previous comment, you said that this forum is "also, good place to rant about frustration." It makes sense then that your rants would relate to expat issues since this is an expat community. For instance, voicing complaints about expats showing disrespect or receiving preferential treatment over Argentines, would fit right in. But coming here everyday to complain about Milei makes absolutely no sense and it's disrespectful to this group.

This thread has clearly shown that expats come here to help each other and to stay informed. Your rants do neither. You've made pretty clear that you do not like the new government and that's fine, we get it. Please move on from that.

I could easily mute your comments and posts like others have, but is that what you want?
But I have to post the truth how I see things. Since Milei got elected life is much harder for all the people. Everything costs more money. Healthcare costs skyrocket because Milei let company do whatever they want. People say inflation slow down but if they skyrocket and then go back down and it is still worse you can't say it better.

Utility rates soar. All the things cost more. If you don't want to face reality that ok but it is ok for people post about problems. All true story.

I laughed at this article.

What’s concerning is that in their zeal for such reforms, these parties have shown themselves willing to approve irresponsible and dangerous measures such as delegating legislative powers. If the bill makes it through the Senate, they will have given lawmaking powers to a man who can’t seem to answer if he has four or five living dogs.

The artilcle highlights the closure of TELAM the public news agency - this is not a backward step in any sense.

Telam was a mouth piece for the kirchneritsas in the governemet

A report by the Reporters Without Borders media watchdog this week said that Argentina had dropped 26 places to 66th place in its global press freedom ranking.

But I have to post the truth how I see things.
It is not what you say or how you say it. It is how often you come here to say exactly the same thing. We all know how you feel about the government and you know what most expats think about it. So why do you keep doing it? Is it attention you are craving? Do you enjoy riling people up?

But I have to post the truth how I see things. Since Milei got elected life is much harder for all the people. Everything costs more money. Healthcare costs skyrocket because Milei let company do whatever they want. People say inflation slow down but if they skyrocket and then go back down and it is still worse you can't say it better.

Utility rates soar. All the things cost more. If you don't want to face reality that ok but it is ok for people post about problems. All true story.
Indeed.
However the 'short, sharp, shock' treatment was the only option they had to fix the economical mess previous Governments left this country in. There was no money left to do it any other way I'm afraid.

It is not what you say or how you say it. It is how often you come here to say exactly the same thing. We all know how you feel about the government and you know what most expats think about it. So why do you keep doing it? Is it attention you are craving? Do you enjoy riling people up?
If Milei stops doing bad things then I stop posting. But if you notice he keep doing stupid things everyday. It is like if you say why the news talk all the time about the same topic everyday. If there is no news then there is nothing I can talk about. The fact I post all the time should scare you that Milei is making many mistakes.

I don't want any attention. I just want the best for my country. You should want the same if you live here now full time. This is your country too now.

Indeed.
However the 'short, sharp, shock' treatment was the only option they had to fix the economical mess previous Governments left this country in. There was no money left to do it any other way I'm afraid.
No one disagree a change was needed. But this is not the way do it. The way things go, you will read about unrest in the street later. When you leave desperate people with nothing to lose you find chaos.

Milei is in the USA yet AGAIN. If only he would focus on fixing Argentina. He is crazy as this nation is a mess and he go to USA proclaiming how wonderful Argentina is and how it is a Mecca! Do you Milei supporters like @Sunny agree he should travel outside of Argentina so many times? What about his promise of support for Ukraine??? Or do you think he should focus on Argentina?

The biggest problem I have with Milei is that he is in denial about ordinary everyday people paying the price for his austerity measures. That is crazy for him to think that way. Everyone is suffering.

And @Avocado I am sure you will be thrilled to learn that President Milei is coming back to the United States in July again.

A big part of any business is networking and rubbing elbows with people that will be helpful in the future. Look and see who else is at this meeting. Head of IMF and also Elon Musk. Milei is doing a great job networking. That is how you can look at these trips.

A big part of any business is networking and rubbing elbows with people that will be helpful in the future. Look and see who else is at this meeting. Head of IMF and also Elon Musk. Milei is doing a great job networking. That is how you can look at these trips.

Milei is doing a good job on his visit. It's looking like Tesla will probably end up with some sweetheart deal that benefits them as well as Argentina with lithium production. NO ONE was thinking about investing in Argentina before Milei got elected.

You'd think, but it is hopeless. Some people cannot see beyond their noses and some simply enjoy trolling. Oh, well...
I like you posts. Why you call me troll? I only post facts and helpful info and articles. All 100% true. So why you call me a troll? If someone posts the truth then they are troll? I am respectful with everyone including you. Yet you call me a troll?

You'd think, but it is hopeless. Some people cannot see beyond their noses and some simply enjoy trolling. Oh, well...
I actually don't think Avocado is a troll. I think on any websites it is good to get different views. It's boring when everyone all has the same opinion. I don't mute anyone. I think overall everyone is fairly well behaved. Avocado seems like he/she loves Argentina just like I do. I have a different political philosophy but don't find them disrespectful.

Milei is doing a good job on his visit. It's looking like Tesla will probably end up with some sweetheart deal that benefits them as well as Argentina with lithium production. NO ONE was thinking about investing in Argentina before Milei got elected.

People can say what they want about Milei but until he won not many people were interested in investing here. Since he won I have multiple people in my family all inquiring about buying a place here. Musk has met with President Milei twice now in only a few weeks. That is a positive not a negative.

People can say what they want about Milei but until he won not many people were interested in investing here. Since he won I have multiple people in my family all inquiring about buying a place here. Musk has met with President Milei twice now in only a few weeks. That is a positive not a negative.

Let's just hope that Elon Musk makes better investments in Argentina than his fiasco with Twitter. He lost a lot of money on that deal.

It looks like Musk isn't the only one to lose money on bad investments. I thought Milei came from a humble background but where did his family get millions to buy/lose in real estate in Miami?

I actually don't think Avocado is a troll. I think on any websites it is good to get different views. It's boring when everyone all has the same opinion. I don't mute anyone. I think overall everyone is fairly well behaved. Avocado seems like he/she loves Argentina just like I do. I have a different political philosophy but don't find them disrespectful.
If it walks like a duck... I'm all for different views, as well. Using this forum to "rant" every single day about the same issue does not show much respect for the community.

A friend of ours asked the same question a couple of months ago. Last week, we were introduced to someone who's here buying property (early retirement).

Back