Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Politics Thread: President Javier Milei - Decree of Necessity and Urgency (DNU) in real-time

Milei is already planning his next move - this could be a new DNU or the old one presented in bit parts. If nothing else the guy is creative and doesn't give up.
I agree with you about the creative part. I honestly was not a big fan before but it is impressive watching how quickly some of the changes are and the quick cut in spending. That is impressive to watch.

Milei is already planning his next move - this could be a new DNU or the old one presented in bit parts. If nothing else the guy is creative and doesn't give up.
I agree with you that he doesn't easily give up. The speed at which he is operating is amazing.
I agree with you about the creative part. I honestly was not a big fan before but it is impressive watching how quickly some of the changes are and the quick cut in spending. That is impressive to watch.
I have a lot of friends that weren't Milei fans and still aren't. I don't agree with everything he is doing but then again, I think rarely in life will you agree with 100% of any politicians actions. I agree with the vast majority of them and I am confident that if Massa won we would be dealing with hyper-inflation right now. This mess is going to take a while to figure out. I wish the other parties would just allow him to try his changes and then if he fails they can blame him but repealing some of these common-sense laws don't make any sense at all. But I knew this wouldn't be easy. All the chips are stacked against him.

You know it is bad for the typical Argentine when beef consumption is going down. At least Milei and Caputo are delaying the increase on public transport and gas prices.

You know it is bad for the typical Argentine when beef consumption is going down. At least Milei and Caputo are delaying the increase on public transport and gas prices.

Beef consumption has been falling for years , if we are totally honest. And it will continue to fall - partly for health reasons but also for price reasons.

Beef consumption has been falling for years , if we are totally honest. And it will continue to fall - partly for health reasons but also for price reasons.
Totally true. Beef consumption has been going down. Argentina has more and more vegan and vegetarian restaurants and the trend for more healthy eating has been going on now and that trend seems like it will continue. I'm sure the price doesn't help.

President Milei is planning yet ANOTHER trip outside of Argentina. He should focus his time on Argentina. He is heading back to the USA again.

At least more and more locals are depositing US dollars back into their savings accounts. I have many friends and they have started depositing their cash from their safes at home back into their dollar denominated accounts. They feel totally safe with Milei.

At least more and more locals are depositing US dollars back into their savings accounts. I have many friends and they have started depositing their cash from their safes at home back into their dollar denominated accounts. They feel totally safe with Milei.

Those people have always had money. Much of Argentina doesn't have food! Argentina ranks #1 on Misery index replacing even Zimbabwe! It ranks more miserable than Venezuela. Sad.

Those people have always had money. Much of Argentina doesn't have food! Argentina ranks #1 on Misery index replacing even Zimbabwe! It ranks more miserable than Venezuela. Sad.

sorry my friend, you have not been to Venezuela recently. Caracas is a very sad city to look at. Maduro just got rid of about 4 opposition parties - he makes any of our right or left wing politicians look like saints. It was a great country to visit in the eighties and the early nineties. But quite horrible right now. Bs As is still a long way ahead.

sorry my friend, you have not been to Venezuela recently. Caracas is a very sad city to look at. Maduro just got rid of about 4 opposition parties - he makes any of our right or left wing politicians look like saints. It was a great country to visit in the eighties and the early nineties. But quite horrible right now. Bs As is still a long way ahead.
Have you been to Venezuela recently? I heard BA has many Venezuelans. My friend there now in BA made some friends from Venezuela and they say BA is a paradise compared to Venezuela! They told her that BA is very stable compared to back home.

I don't think anyone can realistically compare Buenos Aires to Caracas and trying to argue or compare them is not fair. For sure people are miserable here but look at metrics and safety and fearing for one's life has to factor into the mix. BA is still a very safe city and Argentina is very safe. Here is an article about the first 100 days in office.

Some successes and some failures.

Fair enough point. I agree with you that Caracas is very very sad. For as much as I disagree with Milei I agree he is not like Maduro.

I don't think anyone can realistically compare Buenos Aires to Caracas and trying to argue or compare them is not fair. For sure people are miserable here but look at metrics and safety and fearing for one's life has to factor into the mix. BA is still a very safe city and Argentina is very safe. Here is an article about the first 100 days in office.

Some successes and some failures.

Yes I agree one must consider safety. But I think if Milei keep up with his bad policies safety will start to suffer and riot in street. We will see. I hope not. I hope I wrong.

A lot of big time players are heading to Buenos Aires lately including the head of the CIA. Changes are a coming.

The CIA in a foreign country is never a good thing. It always spell trouble. Milei himself say it going to get much worse.

Milei is killing Argentina.

Wages in Argentina Suffer Record Drop after Milei Devalues Peso

NYT article on Milei's first 100 days in Office.

He will either be fabulously successful or a complete disaster. Not sure which way it will go.

Most of the international press I read is overwhelmingly positive towards Milei. I've only read a few articles online that are negative. @Avocado does a good job of posting negative articles. Here is one below. In thinking about a move there I was wondering how the expats there feel? Do you prefer when the economy is bad and your cost of living is better or are you ok with it getting more expensive and overall society benefiting but it more expensive for you?

Back