Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Politics Thread: President Javier Milei - Decree of Necessity and Urgency (DNU) in real-time

“He is the weakest president in institutional terms that Argentina has ever seen,” said Ana Iparraguirre, partner at Washington-based political strategy firm GBAO.

She also said , He still has 50% support and there is no opposition / the other 50% is divided between 5 people each with 10%.

Having popular support will always be valuable / the opposition cannot decide who their leader is

Are Javier Milei’s economic reforms working?​

Argentina was such a mess that it only takes fairly modest reforms to create a dramatic improvement
April 30, 2024 | 5:49 am
javier milei

Javier Milei (Getty)

Written By:
Matthew Lynn

Facebook
Twitter

He was taking too many risks. He didn’t have enough political support. And his radical version of free market economics didn’t offer any solutions anyway, especially in a world where the state is more crucial than ever. When Argentina’s Javier Milei won the presidency last year there were plenty of predictions that he would fare as well as Britain’s Liz Truss. And yet, there are signs the medicine is starting to work — and that will be globally significant.
Over the past couple of weeks, the data coming out of Argentina has been far better than anyone expected. This month, inflation is forecast to dip below 10 percent — admittedly a month-on-month figure — compared with a high of close on 300 percent earlier this year. Last week, Milei announced that the country had recorded its first quarterly budget surplus since 2008, a modest 0.2 percent of GDP, but still an astonishing achievement in such a short space of time, especially for a country that has run deficits for 113 of the last 123 years. “If the state does not spend more than it collects and does not issue (money), there is no inflation,” the president told his critics. “This is not magic.”
It is still early days. There are protests on the streets and the trade unions are mobilizing. The Milei administration may well collapse in chaos, as so many Argentinian governments have before it. And yet, there is also an increasing chance it will succeed. In reality, Argentina was such a mess that it only takes fairly modest reforms to create a dramatic improvement.
If the Milei medicine works, there will be two lessons from that for the rest of the world. First you have to be genuinely radical to change the direction of an economy. Milei has closed government departments wholesale, scrapped rent controls overnight and freed up prices. It has been shock therapy. Next, he has shown that radical free market reforms can work very quickly. You don’t have to wait for years. The results can start coming through in months.

If Milei succeeds he might even set a trend. In a world where policy makers in the US and Europe assume the state is more important than ever he is taking a very different path. Heck, who knows. Perhaps a few other governments stuck with zero growth and huge deficits might notice what Milei is doing, and follow his example.

This article was originally published on The Spectator’s UK website.

Are Javier Milei’s economic reforms working?​

Argentina was such a mess that it only takes fairly modest reforms to create a dramatic improvement
April 30, 2024 | 5:49 am
javier milei

Javier Milei (Getty)

Written By:
Matthew Lynn

Facebook
Twitter

He was taking too many risks. He didn’t have enough political support. And his radical version of free market economics didn’t offer any solutions anyway, especially in a world where the state is more crucial than ever. When Argentina’s Javier Milei won the presidency last year there were plenty of predictions that he would fare as well as Britain’s Liz Truss. And yet, there are signs the medicine is starting to work — and that will be globally significant.
Over the past couple of weeks, the data coming out of Argentina has been far better than anyone expected. This month, inflation is forecast to dip below 10 percent — admittedly a month-on-month figure — compared with a high of close on 300 percent earlier this year. Last week, Milei announced that the country had recorded its first quarterly budget surplus since 2008, a modest 0.2 percent of GDP, but still an astonishing achievement in such a short space of time, especially for a country that has run deficits for 113 of the last 123 years. “If the state does not spend more than it collects and does not issue (money), there is no inflation,” the president told his critics. “This is not magic.”
It is still early days. There are protests on the streets and the trade unions are mobilizing. The Milei administration may well collapse in chaos, as so many Argentinian governments have before it. And yet, there is also an increasing chance it will succeed. In reality, Argentina was such a mess that it only takes fairly modest reforms to create a dramatic improvement.
If the Milei medicine works, there will be two lessons from that for the rest of the world. First you have to be genuinely radical to change the direction of an economy. Milei has closed government departments wholesale, scrapped rent controls overnight and freed up prices. It has been shock therapy. Next, he has shown that radical free market reforms can work very quickly. You don’t have to wait for years. The results can start coming through in months.

If Milei succeeds he might even set a trend. In a world where policy makers in the US and Europe assume the state is more important than ever he is taking a very different path. Heck, who knows. Perhaps a few other governments stuck with zero growth and huge deficits might notice what Milei is doing, and follow his example.

This article was originally published on The Spectator’s UK website.
President Milei is not perfect and I haven't agreed with everything. I feel the middle and lower classes are suffering tremendously. I don't agree with the way he does everything but I do believe he truly loves Argentina and wants to bring change. He isn't doing it to gain financially or steal funds like CFK. He is trying to bring long-lasting change and try things that no other President has been willing to do.

Many locals acknowledge change is needed and the economy must improve but they don't want to see Milei succeed for political reasons which is clearly wrong to me.

Does it bother anyone else that Milei spend so much time outside of Argentina? Investor conferences in the USA? Then Spain then Ukraine. Our country has many problems. I wish he solve our problem first!

Milei has a competent team that is running the country .

He is going overseas to look for investments that will bring jobs to Argentine. Seems to make sense to me.

Under Milei Press freedom is going down.

Has Press freedom existed in Argentina in the past?

Most of the media were dependent on government advertising to make cash.

This advertising meant that no one expressed independent opinions.

Now that there is no government subsidies , you can argue there is more freedom now than anytime in the past 50 years.

Milei has a competent team that is running the country .

He is going overseas to look for investments that will bring jobs to Argentine. Seems to make sense to me.
I am not sure how most reasonable people can fault progress to date. Sure not everything is perfect but seldom are they in Argentina if you look over the history of the county.

Has Press freedom existed in Argentina in the past?

Most of the media were dependent on government advertising to make cash.

This advertising meant that no one expressed independent opinions.

Now that there is no government subsidies , you can argue there is more freedom now than anytime in the past 50 years.
Correct. But the other side will never admit to that.
The artilcle highlights the closure of TELAM the public news agency - this is not a backward step in any sense.

Telam was a mouth piece for the kirchneritsas in the governemet
Again, they will never admit to this.

Milei is causing death and poverty. Pot calling kettle black.

Avocado, in a previous comment, you said that this forum is "also, good place to rant about frustration." It makes sense then that your rants would relate to expat issues since this is an expat community. For instance, voicing complaints about expats showing disrespect or receiving preferential treatment over Argentines, would fit right in. But coming here everyday to complain about Milei makes absolutely no sense and it's disrespectful to this group.

This thread has clearly shown that expats come here to help each other and to stay informed. Your rants do neither. You've made pretty clear that you do not like the new government and that's fine, we get it. Please move on from that.

I could easily mute your comments and posts like others have, but is that what you want?

Avocado, in a previous comment, you said that this forum is "also, good place to rant about frustration." It makes sense then that your rants would relate to expat issues since this is an expat community. For instance, voicing complaints about expats showing disrespect or receiving preferential treatment over Argentines, would fit right in. But coming here everyday to complain about Milei makes absolutely no sense and it's disrespectful to this group.

This thread has clearly shown that expats come here to help each other and to stay informed. Your rants do neither. You've made pretty clear that you do not like the new government and that's fine, we get it. Please move on from that.

I could easily mute your comments and posts like others have, but is that what you want?
Agree with this. But I have had to unfortunately mute a few people that are rude or just harp on the same point over and over.

I run into the same thing in the US with Trump or Biden. They have so much hate all they ever do is bash either one. I hate both of them. But they are so toxic against either side. I have to just unfriend them or stop talking to them as it is not fun.

Typically with these type of people they will not change their ways so you just have to ignore them. I was not a Milei supporter but I have to say that much of what he is doing while it is painful seems to be getting Argentina on the right track.

Milei is causing death and poverty. Pot calling kettle black.

Is Milei creating any more poverty than Kristina and Alberto?

16 of the last 20 years governments prior to Milei were from the Kircnerista side of politics.

How many real jobs were created in that time?

How many houses in Buenos Ares province are still without direct access to sewers?

After so many years of supposedly left wing governments , how many food banks exist in the country and how many of those food banks actually help the poor?

I could go on but I wont,

its very easy to criticise Milei after 4 months as long as you ignore his inheritance..

If nothing improves after 4 years , you are entitled to criticise but not before.

Is Milei creating any more poverty than Kristina and Alberto?

16 of the last 20 years governments prior to Milei were from the Kircnerista side of politics.

How many real jobs were created in that time?

How many houses in Buenos Ares province are still without direct access to sewers?

After so many years of supposedly left wing governments , how many food banks exist in the country and how many of those food banks actually help the poor?

I could go on but I wont,

its very easy to criticise Milei after 4 months as long as you ignore his inheritance..

If nothing improves after 4 years , you are entitled to criticise but not before.
Spot on target. I agree that we need to wait until his term is over and then people can start judging if it was successful or not.

Back