Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Is it true that 2 visa overstays = auto 5 year ban?

90 day tourist visa overstays obviously

So you overstay, pay the fine and leave

Then you come back a year later, overstay again, pay the fine again, but this time they hit you with a 5 year ban
Ohhh ok got it. I'm new to this overstay business. I never talked to anyone that had problems. Where did you hear about this? Did you talk to anyone this happened to?

Most of the perma-tourists that I'm meeting have been staying in Argentina without leaving for up to 2 years. So I guess what you're saying is they can only do this 2 times? I would be curious to hear about actual experiences if you know of anyone this happened to or where you heard it from? Thanks.
Long story ,@MickMolloy . But basically was on a work trip , met a young lady and decided to stay.....
There is always a female involved! Ha, ha.

Overstaying is strictly against the law.

But it Is seen more as an administrative misdemeanour than a crime.

If you intend to stay long term in the country I wouldnt recommend it.

If you only want to stay between 6 and 12 months , there should be no problem.

When I first started my long term stay in Argentina , I used to travel every few weeks , so there was never any huge need to go totally legal.

I never got close to the 90 days during my first few years - it was always 25- 40 days .

Then GJ junior was born and i thought I better get my legal status sorted....

When I first started my long term stay in Argentina , I used to travel every few weeks , so there was never any huge need to go totally legal.

I never got close to the 90 days during my first few years - it was always 25- 40 days .

Having your child probably made things much easier! I heard once you have a kid born here it is very easy to get permanent residency after that.

Up until now Argentina doesn't seem to care about overstaying. But that could change. I have met several tourists that have been living here since before COVID. Some did not leave the entire time since COVID since there was a lock down. Maybe that is why Argentina did not care. Another guy I met just left after over staying for 2 years and he didn't have any issues coming back again. He paid the overstay fee, stayed out of Argentina for 2 months and then came back. He was nervous entering again but had no issues last month.

Then GJ junior was born and i thought I better get my legal

My remote work assignment ends in Sept 2025 i'm at a crossroads between just overstaying what will be 2 years but then i'm scared if I want to live Argentina the rest of my life I will be hurting my future

Having your child probably made things much easier! I heard once you have a kid born here it is very easy to get permanent residency after that.

Up until now Argentina doesn't seem to care about overstaying. But that could change. I have met several tourists that have been living here since before COVID. Some did not leave the entire time since COVID since there was a lock down. Maybe that is why Argentina did not care. Another guy I met just left after over staying for 2 years and he didn't have any issues coming back again. He paid the overstay fee, stayed out of Argentina for 2 months and then came back. He was nervous entering again but had no issues last month.
Yip when I had all the papers together along with GJ Junior's birth certificate , it only took about six weeks I think.

What kind of "overstay".
I never talked to anyone that had problems. Where did you hear about this? Did you talk to anyone this happened to?
see above link. many Expats are reporting in the past few years that Immigration algorithms have changed. old-timers here are mostly unwilling to accept that this could change. overstay at your own personal risk assessment. i'm going to extend my 90 days by 90 days this month! 6 months ain't bad to get a Temporary 1-year Residency planned! :)

actual experiences

Russian women have been denied entry if they are suspected of coming to BsAs for giving birth. @Bajo_cero2 was representing some of them.

the old forum (it's censored and bad user interface) has some stories about this, as well:

well the lawyer Rubilar disagreed:

Up until now Argentina doesn't seem to care about overstaying. But that could change
nope, see my previous list of people for years getting denied re-entry. you guys gotta stop spreading this stuff. it exists!

i'm at a crossroads between just overstaying what will be 2 years
i'm in the same situation. what percentage are you leaning toward paying the $7,000 USD for a lawyer to get citizenship?

You just have to prove tht you have been here.
but there is a bigger chance that the Federal Judge will deny this without a lawyer. i haven't read anyone saying that they have actually done this solo. do yo have a source?

! I will keep that in mind. Ha.
this is called an Anchor Baby, a common thing to do in countries with birthright/jus sanguis citizenship.

Last edited:

Russian women have been denied entry if they are suspected of coming to BsAs for giving birth. @Bajo_cero2 was representing some of them.

the old forum (it's censored and bad user interface) has some stories about this, as well:

Wow! That is a huge group of Russian pregnant women. Are they all together or stopped separately? I wonder if they ended up letting them in. I have noticed a HUGE number of Russian tourists lately and I have seen a few Russian pregnant women. I didn't realize there were so many pregnant coming into Argentina to have kids but this video is an eye opener.

My remote work assignment ends in Sept 2025 i'm at a crossroads between just overstaying what will be 2 years but then i'm scared if I want to live Argentina the rest of my life I will be hurting my future
@MickMolloy what factors will determine what action you will take? I am debating whether to continue with border runs which I have not had an issue doing. I am wondering if I am hurting my chances to someday live in Argentina legally? I hear about so many Chinese that have been living here illegally and just hire a lawyer and get Citizenship which gives me hope.

This matches what a lawyer told me. He also said overstaying is definitely against the law. He said that the government has just so far allowed to pay a fine and not a big deal. I am not reading or hearing from people saying they are having issues. Border runs seem like they are technically illegal just like overstaying. Breaking the law = breaking the law.

Back