Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Buenos Aires is the best city for dating

sangM

Before relocating to Buenos Aires, I had reservations about the dating scene based on my online research. However, after spending six months in the city, I feel compelled to share my experience, particularly for those who might be in a similar situation.

To provide some context, I am a 26-year-old straight male, not exceptionally tall or a model, but I consider myself reasonably attractive. Originally from Europe, I have been living in the United States and embracing a nomadic lifestyle for the past three years. During this time, I've had the opportunity to date in six different U.S. cities and three cities in Latin America. While my experiences varied across locations, Buenos Aires stood out as a dating haven, surpassing all other cities by a significant margin.

Having been on numerous dates and having somewhat serious relationships with three women in Buenos Aires, I can attest to the city's vibrant dating scene. Argentine women are not only beautiful but also open-minded, with a majority identifying as feminists and valuing independence. Contrary to some stereotypes, they aren't necessarily seeking a sugar daddy.
While my perspective may not be entirely objective, conversations with Argentine women have indicated that some men in the city tend to be more traditional, expecting their partners to handle domestic responsibilities while they watch soccer, for example. If your outlook is more modern, this could work to your advantage.
Respectful behavior and chemistry can lead to swift developments in relationships. In my case, on the first date, we transitioned from a bar in San Telmo to a club, and things escalated naturally. Women in Buenos Aires often take initiative, with some inviting you to their homes, reminiscent of experiences in cities like New York.
Engaging in deep and philosophical conversations is common among Argentines, who are generally open about their emotions. Notably, therapy is prevalent in Buenos Aires, making it a city where people are comfortable discussing their feelings.
Despite the Latin tendency to be less punctual, I found Argentine women to be less flaky than those in cities like San Francisco. However, when navigating the dating scene, it's crucial to adhere to certain tips:
  1. Avoid discussing money: Argentine locals dislike foreigners boasting about the favorable exchange rates they've obtained.
  2. Sidestep discussions on cost of living: Respond diplomatically when asked if it's cheap for you to live in Buenos Aires.
  3. Don't immediately delve into work conversations: In Buenos Aires, people are often more curious about personal aspects than professional ones.
  4. Speak Spanish: Even broken Spanish is appreciated.
  5. Familiarize yourself with Argentino: Learn the local slang, particularly Lunfardo, as it can endear you to locals.
  6. Use "Vos" instead of "Tu": Employing the local form of address makes communication easier.
  7. Pronounce 'll' and 'y' like /sh/: This small linguistic adjustment is appreciated.
  8. Express curiosity about the country, culture, and history: Avoid strong political opinions, especially as a newcomer.
  9. Partake in local customs: Enjoying Fernet and Mate can be a shared experience.
By adhering to these tips and embracing the local culture, dating in Buenos Aires can be an enriching and enjoyable experience.

Haha, if we were to go by the criteria of the US Census Bureau, it might be amusing. Interestingly, in the US, due to several challenging experiences, I've steered clear of pursuing relationships with white Americans. I've found that I, being perceived as too foreign or not "white" enough, don't typically resonate with them. As a result, I often find myself dating individuals from Latin backgrounds or first-generation immigrants who are more accepting of accents and foreign cultures.

It's quite amusing, being a European myself, as I've had numerous conversations with Argentinians insisting on their European connection. It became a recurring theme in our interactions, and I found myself nodding along as they continued to emphasize it every time we met, happened at least six times. On a dating note, I've had experiences with two Argentinian girls. One of them expressed a strong desire to move in with me after just two weeks – classic Latina intensity, I suppose, haha!Personally, I lean towards independent Northern European women. I prefer avoiding relationships where there's a significant gap in income or life experiences. But hey, to each their own, right? 😄

Before relocating to Buenos Aires, I had reservations about the dating scene based on my online research. However, after spending six months in the city, I feel compelled to share my experience, particularly for those who might be in a similar situation.

To provide some context, I am a 26-year-old straight male, not exceptionally tall or a model, but I consider myself reasonably attractive. Originally from Europe, I have been living in the United States and embracing a nomadic lifestyle for the past three years. During this time, I've had the opportunity to date in six different U.S. cities and three cities in Latin America. While my experiences varied across locations, Buenos Aires stood out as a dating haven, surpassing all other cities by a significant margin.

Having been on numerous dates and having somewhat serious relationships with three women in Buenos Aires, I can attest to the city's vibrant dating scene. Argentine women are not only beautiful but also open-minded, with a majority identifying as feminists and valuing independence. Contrary to some stereotypes, they aren't necessarily seeking a sugar daddy.
While my perspective may not be entirely objective, conversations with Argentine women have indicated that some men in the city tend to be more traditional, expecting their partners to handle domestic responsibilities while they watch soccer, for example. If your outlook is more modern, this could work to your advantage.
Respectful behavior and chemistry can lead to swift developments in relationships. In my case, on the first date, we transitioned from a bar in San Telmo to a club, and things escalated naturally. Women in Buenos Aires often take initiative, with some inviting you to their homes, reminiscent of experiences in cities like New York.
Engaging in deep and philosophical conversations is common among Argentines, who are generally open about their emotions. Notably, therapy is prevalent in Buenos Aires, making it a city where people are comfortable discussing their feelings.
Despite the Latin tendency to be less punctual, I found Argentine women to be less flaky than those in cities like San Francisco. However, when navigating the dating scene, it's crucial to adhere to certain tips:
  1. Avoid discussing money: Argentine locals dislike foreigners boasting about the favorable exchange rates they've obtained.
  2. Sidestep discussions on cost of living: Respond diplomatically when asked if it's cheap for you to live in Buenos Aires.
  3. Don't immediately delve into work conversations: In Buenos Aires, people are often more curious about personal aspects than professional ones.
  4. Speak Spanish: Even broken Spanish is appreciated.
  5. Familiarize yourself with Argentino: Learn the local slang, particularly Lunfardo, as it can endear you to locals.
  6. Use "Vos" instead of "Tu": Employing the local form of address makes communication easier.
  7. Pronounce 'll' and 'y' like /sh/: This small linguistic adjustment is appreciated.
  8. Express curiosity about the country, culture, and history: Avoid strong political opinions, especially as a newcomer.
  9. Partake in local customs: Enjoying Fernet and Mate can be a shared experience.
By adhering to these tips and embracing the local culture, dating in Buenos Aires can be an enriching and enjoyable experience.
How were you meeting these women?

So like, around 30% happens randomly in real life, you know, hitting up bars, parks, music shows, clubs, all that jazz.

Another 30% goes down in meetups, Mundolingo is my go-to (tons of locals itching to practice English, you feel me?).

And the leftover chunk? Well, that's Bumble's playground. Tinder's a nah for me, and Hinge is like, all about the pure Yankees, zero locals in the mix, dude.

I initially considered going to Buenos Aires, but eventually, I opted for Brazil. My next destination is BsAs. My sentiments about dating in BsAs are somewhat akin to your feelings about Salvador, BA. While Salvador might be a tad pricier and offers more beaches and options, the women here in Brazil are perceived as hotter and friendlier than in the southern places I've visited. Despite being cheaper, Brazil does come with its fair share of bureaucratic annoyances. Securing a SIM card and data plan without a CPF (citizen's tax number) can be a near-impossible task. Being constantly vigilant is a must, and there's a noticeable sewage odor in many parts of Brazil.
If you have any insights into the challenges you faced in BsAs, I'd be keen to hear about it. I know many people shy away from discussing these issues. Brazil presents its own set of difficulties, like the exorbitant "gringo prices" for flight tickets within the country or internationally. For instance, flying from here to BsAs cost me significantly more than a round trip from Miami, which seems pretty off. But hey, I'm eager to learn more about BsAs. Do many girls there genuinely want to leave Argentina? Here in Brazil, it's a common topic when people are a bit tipsy, but it often doesn't translate into a serious desire for a foreigner's marriage beyond potential legal benefits.

Spent a year in university in Buenos Aires, and I'd concur. My dating experience there felt genuinely wholesome, even if it didn't lead to anything significant.

Honestly, many of the things you dig about Argentina, I'm not really into, but Buenos Aires is hands down one of my favorite places globally. Fernet is just not my jam, and grasping Argentinian Spanish feels like tackling one of the trickier dialects.

Personally, not a big fan of the whole feminist or modern women scene, but hey, if that's your vibe, Argentina's got you covered. It was legit the first time I heard a woman say, "Stop spending so much money on me." They bring that Latin warmth with European sensibilities, it's something else. Plus, the way you connect with women at clubs is pretty cool, a whole different vibe from North American culture.

Totally agree on the psychologists per capita thing; a buddy once dropped that fact bomb about Buenos Aires.

Now, the two things I'm not vibing with are: First, don't be hitting up women's houses on the first meet, especially in a spot like San Telmo. And secondly, I found Argentinian women to be kinda flaky, big on the ghosting game. Personally, I had a way better time dating in Brazil and Colombia than in Buenos Aires.

Argentinian girl in the house!
Spanish can be pretty tricky for foreigners, no doubt. But here in Argentina, it's a whole other level of "inaccessible." We've got a plethora of dialects and accents, it's not just a one-size-fits-all "argentino" deal. Some of us roll with "porteño," where y and ll are in sync and sound like /sh/. Then there's "cordobés" (though not everyone from Córdoba province talks that way; it's more of a Córdoba city, Río Cuarto city, and nearby thing). Some of us even veer towards sounding like Chileans or Paraguayans due to proximity.
But when it comes to Buenos Aires, yeah, we speak pretty much like the user who posted . And don't forget, Buenos Aires is a cosmopolitan hub. Nightclubs kick off at 11 pm, and we've been hitting the dance floor since we hit 18. The real deal is that we tend to dive into nightlife a bit earlier, somewhat on the sly. But hey, women here often have a free spirit, and foreigners are like, pure entertainment for us. We're big fans of the international crew.

It's quite amusing, being a European myself, as I've had numerous conversations with Argentinians insisting on their European connection. It became a recurring theme in our interactions, and I found myself nodding along as they continued to emphasize it every time we met, happened at least six times. On a dating note, I've had experiences with two Argentinian girls. One of them expressed a strong desire to move in with me after just two weeks – classic Latina intensity, I suppose, haha!Personally, I lean towards independent Northern European women. I prefer avoiding relationships where there's a significant gap in income or life experiences. But hey, to each their own, right? 😄
Yes I have this happen as well with men that I am dating emphasizing on first date they are originally from Spain or Italy. I just go with the flow and tell them men with 2 passports are even sexier and when we go to the USA they can use their EU passport.

I don't think there is anything wrong with significant gap in income or life experiences. With how little the locals make, there are bound to be a huge gap in incomes!

Yes I have this happen as well with men that I am dating emphasizing on first date they are originally from Spain or Italy. I just go with the flow and tell them men with 2 passports are even sexier and when we go to the USA they can use their EU passport.

I don't think there is anything wrong with significant gap in income or life experiences. With how little the locals make, there are bound to be a huge gap in incomes!
I agree nothing wrong with differences with income or life experiences. I have dated many females from Latin America and besides those from Buenos Aires most haven't been too well traveled but Argentines are the exception. Many females I met here are from families that seem to have money as they have traveled. I think I prefer the simple ones that have never left their countries.

Yes, I have many female friends and they also complain. Ha. Many of my Argentine male friends I don't think will ever get married. Most of them care more about their male friends vs. girlfriends, wives, etc.
And lots of girls, esp the younger ones are attracted to that- the guys who are more aloof. At the same time many will complain about the same fact. Goes to show don't listen to what people say and listen to what they do.

Back