Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Is Tinder popular in Buenos Aires? If not, what is the most popular dating App?

IrishLad

I am coming to Buenos Aires on December 15. I don't speak Spanish. But I have used Tinder many times while traveling around the world successfully. Is Tinder used in Argentina? Are the locals open to dating foreigners? I'm 45 years old and from Dublin. I would appreciate any advice on dating in Buenos Aires.

i was a big Tinder user a few years ago (POF before that), but from what i hear from the people still in the dating scene it seems to have moved in this order: Bumble, Hinge, and whatever the current app is. just set your location on each app to the area you'll be in (Palermo?) and see if there are a lot! kind of trial and error.

i was a big Tinder user a few years ago (POF before that), but from what i hear from the people still in the dating scene it seems to have moved in this order: Bumble, Hinge, and whatever the current app is. just set your location on each app to the area you'll be in (Palermo?) and see if there are a lot! kind of trial and error.
Thanks StatusNomadicus. It's good to know about these other apps. My friend that is gay uses Hinge so I mistakenly thought it was a gay dating app. It's good to know it's for straight people too. I will check it out. I am recently divorced so up until now so I am not familiar with the latest and greatest dating apps. Before I got married I used Tinder and it was gold! I will check out those others you mentioned. I am counting down the days until I get to BA.

Thanks! I read in your other post that you're with your girlfriend. Inquiring minds want to know.... how did you meet her? Was it through a dating app?

I am coming to Buenos Aires on December 15. I don't speak Spanish. But I have used Tinder many times while traveling around the world successfully. Is Tinder used in Argentina? Are the locals open to dating foreigners? I'm 45 years old and from Dublin. I would appreciate any advice on dating in Buenos Aires.
Exciting that you're planning to travel to Argentina and exploring dating apps! Based on information from friends in the country, here are some recommendations:

1. Bumble: This app takes the top spot and is very popular in Argentina. Similar to Tinder but with a unique twist: women make the first move in conversations, creating a more balanced interaction.
  2. Litmatch: Now, let's talk about Litmatch, an innovative option that stands out for its focus on connecting people with similar interests and tastes. Beyond seeking a partner, many users use it to make new friends and enjoy fun moments. The ability to have one-on-one conversations or create group chats adds a unique social touch.
  3. OkCupid: This app is known for using algorithms to match people based on their answers to questions. It's ideal for those seeking deeper connections and more detailed profiles.
  4. Badoo: Badoo is a versatile platform for social networking and online dating. Users can create profiles, engage in encounters, search for people based on various criteria, and use chat features.
  5. Happn: For a different experience, Happn shows profiles of people you've crossed paths with in your daily life. It's a unique way to connect with people who share your physical space.
  6. Tinder: While globally recognized, we're placing Tinder at the bottom of the list. In Argentina, its popularity might be slightly lower compared to Bumble, Litmatch, and other options.
I hope you find someone interesting and have a fantastic time during your trip to Argentina! 😊✈️🌍

Hinge is legit in the USA, no idea if it is also in Argentina. you're thinking of Grindr for gay guys :)

and yes, @David via a dating app a few years ago. seems more and more common in the past decade! @Ema have you never seen Hinge? my lady's friends were all on it a couple years back. it was a female-driven app, where the guy can't message you until you (the girl) approve them. kind of an interesting idea.

Hinge is legit in the USA, no idea if it is also in Argentina. you're thinking of Grindr for gay guys :)

and yes, @David via a dating app a few years ago. seems more and more common in the past decade! @Ema have you never seen Hinge? my lady's friends were all on it a couple years back. it was a female-driven app, where the guy can't message you until you (the girl) approve them. kind of an interesting idea.
Yes, it seems like everyone meets everyone on dating apps. Call me old fashioned, I still prefer the normal route of introduction from friend or organically meeting females. Maybe I need to embrace this new technology. Thanks and congrats!

Call me old fashioned
personal preference! i used to work outside of the USA 11 months/year so when i was home, i didn't want to spend time at bars trying to be organic. the problem with going to clubs and bars to meet females was that 99% of them were...well...the type of female that spends her free time in clubs and bars! vapid and uninteresting to me. but dating apps let you find hook-ups, or people with similar interests, without having to filter all the time spent (wasted, for me) trying to see if they are tolerable to be around, and not just physically attractive. the cool thing about filtering-out 95% of the superficial females is that you can find some that like what you like, whether it's ice-fishing, Hunger Games books, Ethiopian food, etc.

give it a shot; might save you a lot of time wasted. some people think it's offensive to say, but with 7 billion humans on earth, dating is a numbers game

personal preference! i used to work outside of the USA 11 months/year so when i was home, i didn't want to spend time at bars trying to be organic. the problem with going to clubs and bars to meet females was that 99% of them were...well...the type of female that spends her free time in clubs and bars! vapid and uninteresting to me. but dating apps let you find hook-ups, or people with similar interests, without having to filter all the time spent (wasted, for me) trying to see if they are tolerable to be around, and not just physically attractive. the cool thing about filtering-out 95% of the superficial females is that you can find some that like what you like, whether it's ice-fishing, Hunger Games books, Ethiopian food, etc.

give it a shot; might save you a lot of time wasted. some people think it's offensive to say, but with 7 billion humans on earth, dating is a numbers game
I love this answer! I've been married for 16 years. I often think of the insanely good/bad chaos that would have ensued if they had all of these dating apps when I was single. I guess for me, part of the fun was always the "game" it took to get that girl to go home with you. I can't lie. There definitely would have been an appeal to just swipe and be done.

I am glad that I grew up in an era where you had to learn how to talk to girls. My daughter is in high school now and it's pathetic to see guys that don't know how to talk to females. They just text all the time and it's so weak. I grew up in an era when you had to learn to be a really great communicator if you were going to be successful with dating girls in multiple countries.

I spent my late 20's and early 30's traveling around the world. I probably had the best bachelorhood than ANY guy out there. I visited hundreds of cities around the world. It was an amazing time. I don't think I would have changed one thing!

I'm a 34 year old male. I used tinder for a week prepping for BA - and I used the Looking for Friends tag. Im pretty picky with my right swipes but I got about 90 matches within the week. Tinder seems very active.

Granted, and I dont mean to sound conceited or boastful, but I am on the higher end of attractiveness and have a good profile. The hobbies I display there photography, bodybuilding, and travel.

But the likes from Argentinian girls are about 20 to 1 vs Seattle where I am from.

I haven't arrived in Argentina yet, but I already found one girl who's going to show me around the city and go to a music festival in Mar del Plata with her friends. She was the coolest I talked to, so I only talk to her now because she seems like a quality human with good friends and character.

It should also be noted that I never send the first message.

Tinder is not popular. You won't find pretty real girls there. I have heard stories of women taking advantage of men just because of being foreigners, so be careful. If you want to hook up, then use tinder, If not, follow me on twitter and join my matchmaking. I will find you a wife in Argentina if you want to.

Tinder is not popular. You won't find pretty real girls there. I have heard stories of women taking advantage of men just because of being foreigners, so be careful. If you want to hook up, then use tinder, If not, follow me on twitter and join my matchmaking. I will find you a wife in Argentina if you want to.
How much do you charge for your services? Just out of curiosity What is your website URL?

Tinder is not popular.
are you on Tinder now, with a fake male profile to gauge interest? how do you know this?

@Argus has given real-time info that he's making plenty of matches: "I'm a 34 year old male. I used tinder for a week prepping for BA - and I used the Looking for Friends tag. Im pretty picky with my right swipes but I got about 90 matches within the week. Tinder seems very active."

having a wife-escrow/brokerage service seems weird as f*ck. how would anyone know they want to marry someone, before they meet them? or is this a fake marriage for citizenship benefits for both parties? i've never met anyone in real life that sets-out to get married, then begins their strategy on who/what/when/how (it's almost like your service leaves out the "why" question of the scenario)

are you on Tinder now, with a fake male profile to gauge interest? how do you know this?

@Argus has given real-time info that he's making plenty of matches: "I'm a 34 year old male. I used tinder for a week prepping for BA - and I used the Looking for Friends tag. Im pretty picky with my right swipes but I got about 90 matches within the week. Tinder seems very active."

having a wife-escrow/brokerage service seems weird as f*ck. how would anyone know they want to marry someone, before they meet them? or is this a fake marriage for citizenship benefits for both parties? i've never met anyone in real life that sets-out to get married, then begins their strategy on who/what/when/how (it's almost like your service leaves out the "why" question of the scenario)
I was wondering this about the Tinder for the reasons you mentioned. Unless @Argus was a troll but it doesn't come across that way. I'm married for a long time so been out of the game and never used these dating Apps. I preferred the old fashion way anyway I think just meeting up people on my own or through friends. I can strike up a conversation with pretty much any time any where no matter which country I'm in.

I am genuinely curious about both sides ot the Tinder issue for both men and women.

Also when you say you won’t find pretty girls there what do you base that on? @Argus were the girls beautiful?

Also @Cupid's Daughter when you say “they take advantage of the men” what do you mean? How? I’m just curious about this.

I love getting "taken advantage of" so send them my way!

I love getting "taken advantage of" so send them my way!
I think what @Cupid's Daughter is referring to is some locals think just because you're a gringo that you're a sucker. I am clearly a gringo as I am obviously not a local. I look very American. When I meet people on Grindr they automatically assume that I don't know any better but I have been coming to Argentina for over a decade.

I can speak pretty good Spanish. The gay men that I meet think I'm dumb and I don't know any better. I have never had any issues in Argentina because I am careful.

But many Porteños think that all expats are ignorant and don't know any better and they can pull a fast one on us. Maybe that is what she is referring to.

Back