Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Wooohoooo!!!!! One PR down, one to go!

Darksider415

One down, one to go!!! My wife's permanent residency is officially resuelto as of today, so we're just waiting on mine. I sorta get why mine would be slightly slower, as I'm deriving mine through hers, but I wish they would have processed them together.

I knew hers would be faster because she's Brazilian, though.

Screenshot_20240220_140047.png

Very good news. Congratulations. I hope yours is as easy as hers was. Did you get married in Brazil or Argentina?
I hope so too, but you never know. We got married in Argentina, but before we applied for residency. Thanks to Ley 26.240, we get to skip directly to permanent residency, bypassing the two years of Mercosur temporary residency.
@Darksider415 Congratulations to your wife. I hope yours is as quick. I have heard it is much easier for Mercosur residents.
It is easier and faster for Mercosur, and especially fast for Brazilians because Ley 26.240 allows Brazilians to apply directly for PR.

Congratulations! I am STILL waiting for mine to finalize. It looks like your process for your wife was super quick. Please keep us posted when you get yours. Also congrats on your recent nuptials.
Yep, hers was quick, but again, Brazilian. Hopefully mine also goes relatively quickly, but we'll see. At the least, I hope we get to skip the couple interview part?

Congratulations! I am STILL waiting for mine to finalize. It looks like your process for your wife was super quick. Please keep us posted when you get yours. Also congrats on your recent nuptials.
Hang in there. Mine has been finalized but then I have no idea when I will get the plastic. Someone told me to talk to Renaper on their WhatsApp. It's a chatbot but they do give you your IDtramite for tracking. So far it has been in Verificación since it was finalized. Someone in the old forum mentioned that his was finalized in January and so far he hasn't received the plastic. I suppose I'll have to wait for a while too. If you're curious, the tracking shows the process as seen below:

1708657586610.png

One down, one to go!!! My wife's permanent residency is officially resuelto as of today, so we're just waiting on mine. I sorta get why mine would be slightly slower, as I'm deriving mine through hers, but I wish they would have processed them together.

I knew hers would be faster because she's Brazilian, though.

View attachment 2554
@Darksider415 Your wife's case was super quick. I hope yours is as quick.

I hope so too, but you never know. We got married in Argentina, but before we applied for residency. Thanks to Ley 26.240, we get to skip directly to permanent residency, bypassing the two years of Mercosur temporary residency.

It is easier and faster for Mercosur, and especially fast for Brazilians because Ley 26.240 allows Brazilians to apply directly for PR.

Yep, hers was quick, but again, Brazilian. Hopefully mine also goes relatively quickly, but we'll see. At the least, I hope we get to skip the couple interview part?
Congrats! Do any other Mercosur countries qualify under Ley 26.240?

Very nice! I'm happy for you and your wife. I hope you also get yours soon.

Well, sort of… every time they asked for something new and it took more than a few days to process for hers, I’d write them a letter to prompt someone to look at the file.

Now, I’m prompting migraciones about mine in the same manner, and Renaper for her DNI. 😅
Kudos to you. I heard this is what you're paying the immigration lawyers to do. A lawyer friend of mine told me that this is the method of how these immigration attorneys work. They just keep following up in writing to push them to do their jobs. They said without doing this, everything takes forever or just gets perpetually delayed months and months.

It sounds like you learned the secret of how things work with this process and saved yourselves a lot of money hiring a lawyer.

I've just setup a reminder for every Monday, Wednesday and Friday (it only lets you send a letter every 48h) and fire it off like clockwork, just as an attorney I talked to advised... And he basically went, "You could pay me to do it for you, but y'all both clearly qualify for residency, you don't need anyone to argue otherwise, and if you follow up every 48h by the contact form, you've done everything I can."

I've just setup a reminder for every Monday, Wednesday and Friday (it only lets you send a letter every 48h) and fire it off like clockwork, just as an attorney I talked to advised... And he basically went, "You could pay me to do it for you, but y'all both clearly qualify for residency, you don't need anyone to argue otherwise, and if you follow up every 48h by the contact form, you've done everything I can."
This is exactly how the immigrations do it. They are just persistent and I heard that once the lawyers get well-known, the first time they send the letter, they just push it through as they save themselves the agony of getting them every few days. It probably takes longer for the individual vs. lawyer but the same outcome will probably happen. As long as you qualify and including everything they require, this seems like the method to follow.

Thank you @Darksider415 for updating. This kind of valuable information is what these forums are for. Many things in Argentina are like this. It seems like the automatic response of anything related to the government is no.

Congrats to figuring out the system in Argentina. Tons of BS and red tape. This is the tried and tested method to just keep hassling them until they do their jobs!

Back