Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Update: I wrote to Migraciones, and they said to bring a copy of the resuelto and I'll be okay.
Great! Post your experience once coming back to Argentina. It's always great to get real life experiences on this stuff. I've seen and heard so many different things over the past 20 years of people that had no issues and people that got a grumpy and angry customs person. Always an adventure in Argentina. Safe travels @Darksider415. I absolutely love Brazil.

Congrats all for getting DNI. Wow so many get DNI here.
I can't speak for everyone, but personally, after dealing with a bunch of headaches and hassles at Migraciones here, getting my DNI not only brought a wave of relief but also a sense of pride whenever I had to whip it out for something. It felt like a real achievement, you know? 🤣

I can't speak for everyone, but personally, after dealing with a bunch of headaches and hassles at Migraciones here, getting my DNI not only brought a wave of relief but also a sense of pride whenever I had to whip it out for something. It felt like a real achievement, you know? 🤣
That is how it was for me too. Getting my DNI many years ago almost felt like I was in a battle or war and I had survived. And the best thing is mine is permanent so I can't lose it.

Update: we’re both still without a DNI, though mine is in production and my wife’s is still stuck in verification.

She’s had her residency a month longer than I have. Argentina.
How long does this usually take. I met someone that also said they had all the paperwork approved but it's been 4 months and they still didn't get their plastic card. I guess it will eventually come. Still must be a great feeling once it actually arrives. Hang in there!

How long does this usually take. I met someone that also said they had all the paperwork approved but it's been 4 months and they still didn't get their plastic card. I guess it will eventually come. Still must be a great feeling once it actually arrives. Hang in there!
Seems like it's random. Some cases take longer. Mine took about a month from the day the status changed to 'resuelto' until the plastic actually arrived (7 months in total since the case was registered into the system).

Seems like it's random. Some cases take longer. Mine took about a month from the day the status changed to 'resuelto' until the plastic actually arrived (7 months in total since the case was registered into the system).
I doubt anything in Argentina having to do with Migraciones follows a specific pattern. Typically time frame depends on how much you pester them or have a good lawyer that has some inside relationship with them. Half the time I think lawyers that can get it quickly are paying bribes to speed up the process. They will never admit it but I am almost sure that is the case with these things.

I doubt anything in Argentina having to do with Migraciones follows a specific pattern. Typically time frame depends on how much you pester them or have a good lawyer that has some inside relationship with them. Half the time I think lawyers that can get it quickly are paying bribes to speed up the process. They will never admit it but I am almost sure that is the case with these things.
Definitely this seems to be a cottage industry. I have read people on X that handle visas and they specifically mention they pay bribes to speed up process of paperwork. This might be part of the reason the government makes people jump through such hoops.

Updates for y'all: We had no issues leaving with the PR resueltos, don't expect any issues on the return, and we both have freshly minted DNIs waiting on us when we get back home.
Congrats. I only use DNI when going to Brazil. Can you foreigner only use DNI or do you have to travel with you passport too after you get DNI?

Thanks for sharing. I didn't think you'd have issues but it's always good to read data points as people have different experiences.

Congrats. I only use DNI when going to Brazil. Can you foreigner only use DNI or do you have to travel with you passport too after you get DNI?
When I go to Iguazu on the Brazil side they let me use just my DNI but when going to Rio they ask for my passport too. I'm not sure what the official rule is.

Thanks for sharing. I didn't think you'd have issues but it's always good to read data points as people have different experiences.

When I go to Iguazu on the Brazil side they let me use just my DNI but when going to Rio they ask for my passport too. I'm not sure what the official rule is.
I believe the rules lie with your nationality e.g. if your nationality is Argentine (and other Mercosur or other neighboring countries that have an agreement with one another for freedom of movement within the region), you can go to Brazil with only your DNI but if you are a foreign national with only a DNI (be it temporary or permanent), you need your passport. My case for example, I have a DNI (permanent residency) but my nationality requires a visa for Uruguay, so I can't visit Uruguay with my DNI. Instead, I need to apply for the visa before going to Uruguay.

The official rule is that all full-time residents can Cross Merccosur borders with their DNI. Worked in most places for me. But occasionally in Brazilian airports, their IT system wants to see the passport as well.

I always travel with my passport in any case, in case of emergencies in Europe or elsewhere

I believe the rules lie with your nationality e.g. if your nationality is Argentine (and other Mercosur or other neighboring countries that have an agreement with one another for freedom of movement within the region), you can go to Brazil with only your DNI but if you are a foreign national with only a DNI (be it temporary or permanent), you need your passport. My case for example, I have a DNI (permanent residency) but my nationality requires a visa for Uruguay, so I can't visit Uruguay with my DNI. Instead, I need to apply for the visa before going to Uruguay.
This is exactly correct.

I dont need a Visa for Brazil but every now and again they tell me they have to see my passport
I don't need a visa for Brazil either but I would bring my passport if I were to go there because I'm not an Argentine national yet. That's why I pointed out an example of a country where the visa is required for a specific national and entry allowance lies directly with your citizenship. It might not apply to you because you have a powerful passport that requires no visa in the entire Latin America. But you mentioned it yourself that at times Brazilian authorities ask to see your passport and what if you don't have it with you. I suppose they could reject your entry and no one wants that.

Got back in with no issues, and I have officially swapped my US passport card for my DNI, in my wallet.

Of note, they’ve changed the signs in Aeroparque at least to say “Argentinos y Residentes” instead of “Argentinos” now, so we went through the resident line and were past immigration and waiting on our bags in under 5 minutes.

IIRC obtaining my DNI was a very smooth process. I just let my wife do most of it for me as she knows certain people who could 'speed things up'. When travelling I just used my British passport on arrival when returning...never had a problem.

Back