Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Darksider415

So, hooray, my spouse and I both have our resolutions for our permanent residency, and have had for a bit... My wife got hers in February, and I got mine a month ago. However, our DNIs haven't arrived, and we leave for Brazil, next week.

Do y'all know of any way to prod ReNaPer to speed up their process, or is this going to be a "print the resolutions and present them to Migraciones on the way out and then back in" situation, and do y'all know if this will cause any problems, either going or coming?

So, hooray, my spouse and I both have our resolutions for our permanent residency, and have had for a bit... My wife got hers in February, and I got mine a month ago. However, our DNIs haven't arrived, and we leave for Brazil, next week.

Do y'all know of any way to prod ReNaPer to speed up their process, or is this going to be a "print the resolutions and present them to Migraciones on the way out and then back in" situation, and do y'all know if this will cause any problems, either going or coming?
Have you tracked your DNI where it is in the process? Once the status changes from Produccion to Embajaje it is pretty quick. Mine took about a month from the resolution till the plastic arrived.

Yikes. Will that cause any issues at all traveling on your passports? I wouldn't imagine so since you already have the paperwork all done and just waiting on your plastic? I am reading your posts following what you did as I would like to apply for my DNI in the near future.

Yep, we've been tracking the whole process on ReNaPer's site, and it's been in "Verificación" for a month on mine and two months on my wife's.
Wow I didn't know it would take that long. I suppose I was lucky I got mine in a month. In my opinion, just print out the resolution and show it to the immigration officers and that should do it. Tell them you're waiting for your plastic. But then again I have no direct experience. I also wonder if I have to do anything when I leave Argentina next time. I came in as a tourist, got married and now have permanent residency. I guess if they tell me I overstayed, I can just flash my DNI and hopefully that will settle it.

Have you tracked your DNI where it is in the process? Once the status changes from Produccion to Embajaje it is pretty quick. Mine took about a month from the resolution till the plastic arrived.
Mine took 2 months or so. Was annoying waiting. My husband told me I shouldn't travel until I had the actual DNI but I don't know if I would have had problems if I did. I changed a ticket to wait until I got the plastic but I don't know if I would have legally had issues.

Whatever you do just have all your documentation all prepared. From my experience, they all like stamps and things that look official. I think if you have all of it together and organized maybe you won't have issues but it's usually 50%/50% if you have issues if the customs agent woke up on wrong side of bed that day.

Yikes. Will that cause any issues at all traveling on your passports? I wouldn't imagine so since you already have the paperwork all done and just waiting on your plastic? I am reading your posts following what you did as I would like to apply for my DNI in the near future.
It shouldn't, and it should all be in the Migraciones system, it's just a minor annoying thing, and I'm just trying to avoid any unpleasant conversations with Migraciones.

You finally got your plastic? Congrats!!!! :)
YES! I wanted to give a huge shout out and thank you to you @Jakoval and @Darksider415. It is difficult to understand all the frustration, and feeling in the dark unless you are actually going through the process. Your posts helped out a lot.

It shouldn't, and it should all be in the Migraciones system, it's just a minor annoying thing, and I'm just trying to avoid any unpleasant conversations with Migraciones.
Exactly and what I told my husband but he said it doesn't matter what the law is on paper. He said if the Migraciones agent is angry or in a bad mood they do what they want. But I think you are right it should all be in the system but at this point you never know. Nothing has been too easy dealing with things here. I am glad it is over. After all of this now we might move to Spain later this year.

I should be ok if I end up moving to Spain. From what I understand I just have to visit Argentina once in 2 years to retain my DNI?

Update: I wrote to Migraciones, and they said to bring a copy of the resuelto and I'll be okay.
That is awesome! How quickly do they respond?? You seem to have great results getting answers. Most people complain to me that they never hear back. They must have your contact flagged as VIP! :)
Exactly! Judging by your other posts @Darksider415 they probably are like - Yet another email from Darksider415! We better answer it asap.

Update: I wrote to Migraciones, and they said to bring a copy of the resuelto and I'll be okay.
You're my hero! 😍 Have fun in Brazil! I just visited Rio and loved it! Wow what hot guys there. I thought the gay scene was great in Buenos Aires but I think Rio has it beat in just about every way. I thought it would be much more expensive but prices didn't seem to be much more than BA now. Maybe in some nice steak places. I wish I could speak Portuguese!!

Mine took 2 months or so. Was annoying waiting. My husband told me I shouldn't travel until I had the actual DNI but I don't know if I would have had problems if I did. I changed a ticket to wait until I got the plastic but I don't know if I would have legally had issues.
I have been waiting 3 months now and my DNI hasn't come. I heard it only takes 2 months but I am still waiting.

Back