Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

CarlosVoler

Hello everyone,

I'm interested in hearing about recent experiences with the Migraciones process for permanent residence, especially for those who haven't returned within the stipulated 3-year period. I'm planning to return to Argentina in July after being away since mid-2019 due to various reasons such as Covid, family matters, work commitments, and a broken leg.

My goal is to maintain my current immigration status without going through the entire process again. If anyone has insights or advice on this matter, I would greatly appreciate it.

The requirement to maintain permanent residency is one day in two years, not three.

It is impossible to predict with certainty, but by the time you return in July, the absence will be about four years.

It is certain that you will be be able to reenter, perhaps as a permanent resident, perhaps as a tourist.

Based on what happened with the "pregnant Russian women" a few months ago, it really should not matter.

Apparently you can say that you live here and once you are here, you can stay indefinitely and apply for citizenship.

But a lot more can happen in the next one to two years.

PS: I suggest everyone decide where they want to live in the long term...get there before the SHTF...and be willing to stay put indefinitely.

Thanks, as always, Steve, for your informative replies.

"PS: I suggest everyone decide where they want to live in the long term...get there before the SHTF...and be willing to stay put indefinitely.""

That's the idea! It's time to get the ducks in order. If I am still a permanent resident in July, I'll be back for good in the fall.

I was in your exact same situation. I lived and worked in Argentina full-time for 9 years and moved out of the country but was coming regularly 2-3 times a year until COVID hit. Then during COVID there was no reason to come back as Argentina had such harsh conditions so I didn't come back for 3.5 years. I came back in January 2023 and wasn't sure if I'd have any issues but no issues at all coming and leaving with my DNI. I also came back last month with no issues.

I didn't know if they would ask about the lapse in coming. I assumed that they will give some leeway due to COVID but they didn't say anything either way.

I could have gotten my Argentina passport many years ago when I was living there but I didn't have time as I was traveling around quite a bit and planned to do it when I have more time.

I'd love to move back to Argentina in the next few years and then I may try to get my Argentina passport. I'm not sure if I have to wait 2 years living there again. Either way, I'm not in any hurry.

Back