Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer Mosquito invasion in BA

I am lucky. When I went to Buenos Aires last year there weren't too many mosquitos at all. Just a bit outside when we did a BBQ outside but the smoke mostly kept them away. I am itching to get back to BA. Ha.

So apparently the government lifted the import taxes for mosquito repellents (just for 30 days though), but it should help to bring more products in and lower the prices for a while.

Better stock up though hah :)

So apparently the government lifted the import taxes for mosquito repellents (just for 30 days though), but it should help to bring more products in and lower the prices for a while.

Yes hopefully all that spray comes in very fast. And also hopefully it is a sign of things to come for the future and others projects with no import taxes!

I'm seeking updates from you guys regarding Dengue Fever and its associated vaccine. According to the CDC, the vaccine isn't recommended for travelers except for those residing long-term in highly infected areas. I would assume Argentina now is considered a highly infected area.

This vaccine employs a weakened live virus and may mimic a primary dengue infection, potentially increasing the risk of severe dengue in individuals previously dengue-naive, a phenomenon known as antibody-dependent enhancement. Essentially, if you haven't had dengue before, the vaccine might induce it. As for treatment, literature suggests ample use of repellent, such as DEET. Interestingly, DEET, developed in 1944 for the US Army, remains the primary choice despite uncertainties about its mode of action and its effects on materials like watch crystals and rayon.

The government is offering them free now for anyone that wants one. Are you all getting one?
Yes they are free from the government. I am seriously thinking about getting a free Dengue Fever vaccine. I would better have some protection. We know people that have gotten very ill. I might bite the bullet and go get one.

Yep. I saw this article below. I am officially delaying my trip again. Airbnb is allowing me to change my dates again due to the outbreak. The owner is not happy about it but I don't want to deal with mosquitos all over and possibly dying!

I will come down later when it gets colder I guess.

Yep. I saw this article below. I am officially delaying my trip again. Airbnb is allowing me to change my dates again due to the outbreak. The owner is not happy about it but I don't want to deal with mosquitos all over and possibly dying!

Lol be careful who you tell you cancelled it was because of the dengue even more so when said in plural form pronounced phonetically ("refuse to go due to the dengues"). :)

Normally I would say you are over-reacting but you look like a total genius for postponing your earlier trip. I would hope... not make that PRAY that we aren't dealing with mosquitos at the end of this month but no one can tell you for sure. It's 80 degrees out today. And 10 days from now still going to be in the 70's with more rain coming so probably a new batch of more mosquitos.

If you aren't going to lose any money on your Airbnb and also your plane ticket then can't hurt to postpone until the mosquitos are dead from the cold.

Normally I would say you are over-reacting but you look like a total genius for postponing your earlier trip. I would hope... not make that PRAY that we aren't dealing with mosquitos at the end of this month but no one can tell you for sure. It's 80 degrees out today. And 10 days from now still going to be in the 70's with more rain coming so probably a new batch of more mosquitos.

If you aren't going to lose any money on your Airbnb and also your plane ticket then can't hurt to postpone until the mosquitos are dead from the cold.
My friend down there told me before I was a baby and overreacting by changing my flight but now she said I was so lucky I changed my trip. She is all bit all over her body and she said she can't find any bug spray that works.

Airbnb will allow you to cancel without penalties with a doctor's note showing I am allergic to mosquitos. My mom is a doctor. ;)
I used American Airlines mile award and it is even lower in June. I found an award for less miles. Only 26,000 miles. So no money out there either. I will wait until the mosquitos are all dead!

My friend down there told me before I was a baby and overreacting by changing my flight but now she said I was so lucky I changed my trip. She is all bit all over her body and she said she can't find any bug spray that works.

Airbnb will allow you to cancel without penalties with a doctor's note showing I am allergic to mosquitos. My mom is a doctor. ;)
I used American Airlines mile award and it is even lower in June. I found an award for less miles. Only 26,000 miles. So no money out there either. I will wait until the mosquitos are all dead!
Give the Airbnb owner a lot of notice if you're using some bogus medical letter. It's not fair to try to find some way to cancel out on an Airbnb if you're really not allergic to mosquitos. But can't hurt to wait until cooler weather. This year has just been horrible and then adding in the issues with mosquito spray which hopefully the import easing will help get a lot of supply in.

That is one of the best thing about traveling with award tickets. Being able to easily change the dates is a great feature vs. cash tickets.

Considering that some people are dying from it and getting very sick, I did get my vaccine and I am happy that I did. I posted about it below. When I got vaccinated my healthcare plan paid for it but it is since being offered absolutely free for anyone that wants one. Even if you have no health plan.

Has anyone else got the dengue vaccine?? @Flamingo did you. have any side effects? I read that the CDC has not approved the vaccine and they only recommend it for "high risk areas". I would have to assume Argentina is now considered high risk area?

It scares me getting vaccines now. I read this from the NCBI website. "The vaccine partially mimics a primary dengue infection and can increase the risk of severe dengue in vaccinated individuals who were dengue-naive prior to vaccination. This phenomenon is known as antibody-dependent enhancement (ADE).

@Jenn you are wise to avoid Argentina until this epidemic is over with the mosquitos. Milei and also the local government has been a disaster. It is a joke that we can't get mosquito spray. This is the worst outbreak in the history of Argentina and a total joke. Instead we have Milei talking about how Argentina is going to assist Ukraine! What joke!

Has anyone else got the dengue vaccine?? @Flamingo did you. have any side effects? I read that the CDC has not approved the vaccine and they only recommend it for "high risk areas". I would have to assume Argentina is now considered high risk area?

It scares me getting vaccines now. I read this from the NCBI website. "The vaccine partially mimics a primary dengue infection and can increase the risk of severe dengue in vaccinated individuals who were dengue-naive prior to vaccination. This phenomenon is known as antibody-dependent enhancement (ADE).

After my 1st dose I had a very high fever. I had bad migraine headache for 5 or 6 days after it. My second dose a slight fever. I know several that contracted Dengue so I am glad I got the vaccine. I feel safer now that I am fully vaccinated but most I know don't want the vaccine.

@Jenn you are wise to avoid Argentina until this epidemic is over with the mosquitos. Milei and also the local government has been a disaster. It is a joke that we can't get mosquito spray. This is the worst outbreak in the history of Argentina and a total joke. Instead we have Milei talking about how Argentina is going to assist Ukraine! What joke!

Disaster is putting it mildly. I would call it criminal how they are handling this outbreak. Other countries are dealing with this outbreak yet they have mosquito repellant. How is this not handled better? This country is a disaster and getting worse and getting more expensive.

Hi guys,
Some comments talk about the free dengue vaccine. I'm assuming they mean in the States. Could you clarify? As far as I know, here in CABA, the vaccine is not free, pharmacies sell it for 70K or so.
Yesterday spoke with my doc in the States, he told me to get tested now. If I get a positive result, to get vaccinated right away.

Hi guys,
Some comments talk about the free dengue vaccine. I'm assuming they mean in the States. Could you clarify? As far as I know, here in CABA, the vaccine is not free, pharmacies sell it for 70K or so.
Yesterday spoke with my doc in the States, he told me to get tested now. If I get a positive result, to get vaccinated right away.
I believe you are correct. I don't think it is free. I think that there is a Bill to make them free but I'm not sure if it was ever passed or voted on.

Hi guys,
@Sunny I think when people are saying it is free they mean free with their prepago plan. I think that the prepagos are paying for it. At least mine did. Do you have private health insurance here?

No, Flamingo, not yet. We are still trying to figure out what to do about that. We like the Hospital Italiano plans and will probably get that.

Has anyone been able to get repellent in any supermarket or pharmacy? I have visited several and have had no luck, how are we supposed to fight the mosquito? I have read that now imported repellents will arrive, we will see how expensive they will be....

Has anyone been able to get repellent in any supermarket or pharmacy? I have visited several and have had no luck, how are we supposed to fight the mosquito? I have read that now imported repellents will arrive, we will see how expensive they will be....

Try the Pigmento stores around town. I picked up some mosquito spray for 2,900 pesos. First time it's been normal price in months. You can only buy one can per customer.

Back