Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer Mosquito invasion in BA

why they don't decide to fumigate?

According to what I have read, the World Health Organization (WHO) and the Ministries of Health of the Nation and the Province of Buenos Aires advise against fumigation and it is not indicated as an effective action. Fumigation kills the mosquito that is flying at that moment and loses effectiveness when the product falls to the ground and kills neither the eggs nor the larvae.

Thanks for the info on the Dengue Fever risks. I am heading on a trip to Iguau Falls and heading on the Brazil side. I heard that there is an even bigger risk in Brazil of this. But I'm not so sure as there are so many mosquitos in BA. Is the vaccine safe and considered effective? Has anyone had a Dengue Fever vaccination in Buenos Aires? Any ideas where one might go to get it with no health insurance? Any idea of costs if I have to pay?

Thanks for the info on the Dengue Fever risks. I am heading on a trip to Iguau Falls and heading on the Brazil side. I heard that there is an even bigger risk in Brazil of this. But I'm not so sure as there are so many mosquitos in BA. Is the vaccine safe and considered effective? Has anyone had a Dengue Fever vaccination in Buenos Aires? Any ideas where one might go to get it with no health insurance? Any idea of costs if I have to pay?
It looks like you can get a vaccination at this clinic below. It's just a walk in clinic. I don't believe you need an appointment but you can reach out to them and call them on their toll free # of 0810-444-VACUNAR (8228). On this website it says they are effective and safe but you will need to determine your own comfort level - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/ar...mmary, the TAK-003,8 countries over 57 months.

It looks like you can get a vaccination at this clinic below. It's just a walk in clinic. I don't believe you need an appointment but you can reach out to them and call them on their toll free # of 0810-444-VACUNAR (8228). On this website it says they are effective and safe but you will need to determine your own comfort level - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9938735/#:~:text=In summary, the TAK-003,8 countries over 57 months.

I got my Dengue Fever vaccination at the Vacunar Clinic. It was quick and easy and I didn't have to pay for anything with my health plan. I'm not sure what the cost is if you don't have a plan. You should call in to that # and see. Also, you can go to this private clinic below where they also do vaccinations but it probably will be more expensive so I'd try Vacunar first.

they don't seem to work.
true. and fumigation sounds awful - trust the government to spray chemicals into the air, and i'm supposed to assume post-Lockdowns that the kids they hire are doing it safely, and there are long-term studies on breathing it in? noooo thanks

another reminder that diet, bodywash/soap/shampoo/conditioner might also be a factor:

I haven't found these to actually work. They just stink up my apartment but they don't seem to work.
We tried these burning spirals to repel all the mosquitos but they didn't work. This was one of the turn offs of moving to Buenos Aires for my family. We found the mosquitos awful. My husband had a friend there that invited us to an asado at his house. He had a beautiful house with gorgeous outdoor area but we couldn't use it. He kept trying to get us to come outside to eat but my family and I were getting eaten alive. I don't know if this is normal or not but it was miserable.

This was one of the turn offs of moving to Buenos Aires for my family. We found the mosquitos awful. My husband had a friend there that invited us to an asado at his house. He had a beautiful house with gorgeous outdoor area but we couldn't use it. He kept trying to get us to come outside to eat but my family and I were getting eaten alive. I don't know if this is normal or not but it was miserable.
i've found that much of the world has mosquito problems 15% of the year. just trade-offs about when and how bad. Scotland highlands had "midges" that covered my skin and swarmed like black clouds. Thailand had mosquitos for days after each rain. Amazon River area of Peru had mosquitos real bad at sunset, all the time.

i really think Buenos Aires only has about 5 weeks total of mosquitos, so it's not bad comparatively. i grew-up in the Phoenix AZ area, so i was spoiled with rarely seeing mosquitos. but when i was in Minnesota a couple summers ago, i realized you just can't go outside most of the day for 3 months!

When it rains it pours. As if the dog poop situation wasn't bad enough. I was scheduled to arrive in Buenos Aires in less than 2 weeks and I read that the City of Buenos Aires is high risk now. I really hate mosquitos. If I am translating this right it says it will be high risk for the next 30 days. Do you all recommend to wait to come?

When it rains it pours. As if the dog poop situation wasn't bad enough. I was scheduled to arrive in Buenos Aires in less than 2 weeks and I read that the City of Buenos Aires is high risk now. I really hate mosquitos. If I am translating this right it says it will be high risk for the next 30 days. Do you all recommend to wait to come?

I also hate mosquitos. This year is horrible and to make it worse there is a Dengue Fever outbreak which is not normal here. Over 1,000 people are affected and probably much higher as some people don't go to the hospital so they aren't officially registered.

I noticed they started to fumigate near some parks. You will probably be ok as this is a big city but cases ARE reported to be higher over the next 30 days. Buenos Aires weather is better in later March or April anyway if you want to wait or you can easily change your ticket without paying a fee. I hate the warm weather here.

Back