Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer Mosquito invasion in BA

April is normally one of the best months. But this year its a tough call.

The little bassas dont bight though the cloth , They look for a gap between your shoe and your trouser leg and creep in. I think they hide for ten minutes and then they attack.
Yes in a normal year April is quite pleasant but nothing normal about this year. The mosquitos have been absolute horrible this year with the rainfall. More rain is expected. Until we get the colder weather we will have more mosquitos. They have a fairly short life. @Jenn you can read this.

Does anyone know where I can get some bug spray? I went to several places including what was listed here and no one has any! I need some strong stuff that has DEET in it. It's pouring raining today and that probably means tons more mosquitos this week and next. :(. Next week looks like it's going to be very warm in the upper 70's. It's going to be a big breeding ground of mosquitos!

I just left Medellin as the amount of anti gringo hate there has gotten intense.

Keep looking in Jumbo, Coto and Farmacity / they run out but they all get daily deliveries.

There are some crazy prices in Mercado Libre just now and I would avoid these guys who are abusing the people and taking advantage . Free market? THEY ARE ABUSERS....

Keep looking in Jumbo, Coto and Farmacity / they run out but they all get daily deliveries.

There are some crazy prices in Mercado Libre just now and I would avoid these guys who are abusing the people and taking advantage . Free market? THEY ARE ABUSERS....
Yes I tried all those places but they didn't have any. They said to check back tomorrow. I saw the prices on Mercado Libre but they are highway robbery prices! I saw someone trying to sell some mosquito spray for about $92 USD! 92,000 pesos!

ouch.jpg

I've been here a few times over the years and never recall it being this bad. I went out today and can't find any bug spray either. I had some natural spray that I found but it didn't work! I think without DEET it is probably worthless.

Wow! It looks like Brazil is even worse. I was thinking about going there as well. Crazy over 1,000 dead there from Dengue!

Wow! It looks like Brazil is even worse. I was thinking about going there as well. Crazy over 1,000 dead there from Dengue!

Yes it has been really horrible In Brazil this year with Dengue and the mosquitos.

the crazy thing is that Johnson who manufactures all the big brands here will import taking advantage of the new rules the same brands from Poland....
What do you mean @GlasgowJohn? I didn't understand what you meant about Poland? If I am understanding things correctly about the importing of mosquito spray is the government will allow any company to ship mosquito spray here to sell it and the government will not implement ANY taxes or fees on them? Is that correct?

What do you mean @GlasgowJohn? I didn't understand what you meant about Poland? If I am understanding things correctly about the importing of mosquito spray is the government will allow any company to ship mosquito spray here to sell it and the government will not implement ANY taxes or fees on them? Is that correct?
You got it! Johnson Argentina will import from Johnson Poland and avoid all import taxes.

THE SAME BRANDS.

You got it! Johnson Argentina will import from Johnson Poland and avoid all import taxes.

THE SAME BRANDS.
Hopefully this drastically increases the supply. My friend said she got stuck paying almost $30 US for a can of bug spray with DEET. All the taxes are crazy in Argentina. My friend lost her Airpods and she said it is 3 X what it cost in the USA. This is crazy. I would hope Argentina can fix this problem with the taxes and fees. Call me stupid but wouldn't it be better to charge reasonable prices and reasonable taxes and sell a lot more vs. crazy high taxes and no sales?

THE SAME BRANDS.
Wow Johnson sounds very smart! Take advantage of every loophole. This is the first year I can't wait for the cold weather!

I'm seeking updates from you guys regarding Dengue Fever and its associated vaccine. According to the CDC, the vaccine isn't recommended for travelers except for those residing long-term in highly infected areas. I would assume Argentina now is considered a highly infected area.

This vaccine employs a weakened live virus and may mimic a primary dengue infection, potentially increasing the risk of severe dengue in individuals previously dengue-naive, a phenomenon known as antibody-dependent enhancement. Essentially, if you haven't had dengue before, the vaccine might induce it. As for treatment, literature suggests ample use of repellent, such as DEET. Interestingly, DEET, developed in 1944 for the US Army, remains the primary choice despite uncertainties about its mode of action and its effects on materials like watch crystals and rayon.

The government is offering them free now for anyone that wants one. Are you all getting one?

I'm seeking updates from you guys regarding Dengue Fever and its associated vaccine. According to the CDC, the vaccine isn't recommended for travelers except for those residing long-term in highly infected areas. I would assume Argentina now is considered a highly infected area.

This vaccine employs a weakened live virus and may mimic a primary dengue infection, potentially increasing the risk of severe dengue in individuals previously dengue-naive, a phenomenon known as antibody-dependent enhancement. Essentially, if you haven't had dengue before, the vaccine might induce it. As for treatment, literature suggests ample use of repellent, such as DEET. Interestingly, DEET, developed in 1944 for the US Army, remains the primary choice despite uncertainties about its mode of action and its effects on materials like watch crystals and rayon.

The government is offering them free now for anyone that wants one. Are you all getting one?
Considering that some people are dying from it and getting very sick, I did get my vaccine and I am happy that I did. I posted about it below. When I got vaccinated my healthcare plan paid for it but it is since being offered absolutely free for anyone that wants one. Even if you have no health plan.

Considering that some people are dying from it and getting very sick, I did get my vaccine and I am happy that I did. I posted about it below. When I got vaccinated my healthcare plan paid for it but it is since being offered absolutely free for anyone that wants one. Even if you have no health plan.

It doesn't sound like too many people are jumping to get this vaccine. No one even wants the booster for Covid and I don't think I will ever get another covid shot. The mosquito issue sounds like it has gone from bad to worse. It is looking more like I will postpone my trip again until the mosquitos are gone. Airbnb is letting me cancel fee free if I want as I told them people are dying.

Back