Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer Mosquito invasion in BA

How are the mosquitos? Is the situation better?
Out here in Escobar it has improved considerably. I work on our terrace most afternoons from about 3.30 pm - I had suspended this but started again on Monday.

There was quite a lot of wind at the weekend - but the big thing is that the morning temperature is now between 10 - 12c - This is certainly keeping the little pests asleep. Not enough to kill them, though

There is rain forecast for this weekend - let's see what happens.

Out here in Escobar it has improved considerably. I work on our terrace most afternoons from about 3.30 pm - I had suspended this but started again on Monday.

There was quite a lot of wind at the weekend - but the big thing is that the morning temperature is now between 10 - 12c - This is certainly keeping the little pests asleep. Not enough to kill them, though

I had been avoiding my outdoor terrace for a few weeks but finally going out a bit. But saw the forecast for more rain. Last thing we need now is more rain. I can't wait for the cooler weather.

I am SO glad I postponed my trip until April. They all should be dead by then I hope! Thank you both for the update.

I am SO glad I postponed my trip until April. They all should be dead by then I hope! Thank you both for the update.
Yes by April the weather will be very nice. The mosquito situation is getting better. You will enjoy the weather then.

How are all of you surviving? I just read the other thread mosquitos are still bad. Hopefully they will be all gone by next month.
It has gotten MUCH better over the past week. This year was horrible. You were very smart for delaying your trip. You look like a genius now for putting your trip off. Plus, all that rain cleaned the sidewalk as I know you have a fear of you know what. :ROFLMAO:

It has gotten MUCH better over the past week. This year was horrible. You were very smart for delaying your trip. You look like a genius now for putting your trip off. Plus, all that rain cleaned the sidewalk as I know you have a fear of you know what. :ROFLMAO:
Yeah, I was worried when I first came here, but haven’t really seen too many mosquitoes around.

Also, I guess most of them don’t carry Dengue, so you would be REALLY unlucky to contract it over a few days time.

Yeah, I was worried when I first came here, but haven’t really seen too many mosquitoes around.

Also, I guess most of them don’t carry Dengue, so you would be REALLY unlucky to contract it over a few days time.
I can't tell you how happy I am to read your report of not too many mosquitos around. That is great to hear. As an outsider, how do you find the dog poop all over the street problem? Is it manageable?

Have yet to see one😊
Thank you!!! It sounds like all that rain certainly helped. You made my weekend. You certainly are lucky with no mosquitos and no dog poop. What more could a girl ask for?

That was the nice thing about all that rain. Did a good general cleaning for the sidewalks and streets!
Thank God then for all that rain. I hope there are more thunderstorms before I arrive but not too soon for my trip or it sounds like it will attract mosquitos. Thank you for the live report @Wicked!

I see people are still dying from Dengue. I see it's still bad. I'm reading many posts on Tik Tok about how bad the mosquitos are. Will things ease up by 3 weeks?

I see people are still dying from Dengue. I see it's still bad. I'm reading many posts on Tik Tok about how bad the mosquitos are. Will things ease up by 3 weeks?

Jenn , no one knows to be honest. The bastards could disappear this week or they may still be here in a months time..

We need a really cold spell to kill the little sods.

Nothing forecast over the next 7 days .

What will happen in the second half of the month , no one really knows.

Jenn , no one knows to be honest. The bastards could disappear this week or they may still be here in a months time..

We need a really cold spell to kill the little sods.

Nothing forecast over the next 7 days .

What will happen in the second half of the month , no one really knows.
Thank you for that update. I was hoping that they would be gone by now but my friend said that the mosquitos are like nothing she has seen before. She said she can have jeans on and the mosquitos are biting her through her jeans. I didn't think mosquitos could bite through clothes. One of her friends got very sick with Dengue. She was telling me it's almost impossible to not get bit even with mosquito spray. She said the mosquito spray she is using isn't helping much at all. I already delayed my trip once but did not want to cancel it again. But Airbnb is telling me they will work with me to allow me to cancel again as I have a slight allergy to mosquito bites.

I had read April was a pleasant time to visit Argentina but maybe it's better when it's colder.

April is normally one of the best months. But this year its a tough call.

The little bassas dont bight though the cloth , They look for a gap between your shoe and your trouser leg and creep in. I think they hide for ten minutes and then they attack.

Back