Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Tips for my 2 weeks trip to BA - Apartment recommendations

Alirght so I would like to share my itinerary for tours and trips with everyone here to get your thoughts before I return to the U.S. Anything else I should add?

Day 1
- Tours in La Boca and Recoleta Cemetary from the morning to the evening then bars at night

Day 2
- Rent a bicycle and ride it throughout BA and maybe explore Barrio chino, Belgrano, and the parks in Palermo
- Eat at a famous or well regarded steakhouse or restaurant. Try mate and buy the mate, bombilla, and yerba as gifts for friends.
- Buy a ticket for the double decker tour bus?

Day 3
- Travel to Colonia, Uruguay for a tour for the entire day

Day 4
- go to a bunch of museums (at least 4 or 5 museums including Museo de banco central/ malba/ peron)
- Return to plaza de mayo and casa rosada again. Maybe go on a tour of Teatro Colon

Day 5
- Soccer tour for the majority of the day.

Alirght so I would like to share my itinerary for tours and trips with everyone here to get your thoughts before I return to the U.S. Anything else I should add?

Day 1
- Tours in La Boca and Recoleta Cemetary from the morning to the evening then bars at night

Day 2
- Rent a bicycle and ride it throughout BA and maybe explore Barrio chino, Belgrano, and the parks in Palermo
- Eat at a famous or well regarded steakhouse or restaurant. Try mate and buy the mate, bombilla, and yerba as gifts for friends.

Day 3

Day 4
- go to a bunch of museums (at least 4 or 5 museums including Museo de banco central/ malba/ peron)
- Return to plaza de mayo and casa rosada again. Maybe go on a tour of Teatro Colon

Day 5
I also just saw that river is playing boca this Sunday.. I know there are a lot of fights and violence there. ou think its worth going or trying to get tickets to go solo?

Day 1

Day 2

Day 3

Day 4

Day 5
I'm not sure I would waste a day in Colonia. It is kind of boring. Not too much to do or see. I think you could skip it. The rest of your itinerary looks good.
I also just saw that river is playing boca this Sunday.. I know there are a lot of fights and violence there. ou think its worth going or trying to get tickets to go solo?
You will be ok if you go with a tour. I wouldn't recommend going alone if you've never been there.

I'm not sure I would waste a day in Colonia. It is kind of boring. Not too much to do or see. I think you could skip it. The rest of your itinerary looks good.

You will be ok if you go with a tour. I wouldn't recommend going alone if you've never been there.
I see. Thanks. Yea I will look for a tour this Sunday. I thought Colonia was a UNESCO heritage site. Is it really that boring? The only UNESCO heritage sites I have been to were in Greece and Italy and they were pretty cool.

Day 1

Day 2

Day 3

Day 4

Day 5
Sol Salute has some good itineraries and things to do in BA.

I agree that nothing too special about Colonia. You may want to visit Nordelta and Tigre instead of Colonia but that is just me. But if you wanted to visit another country I guess you could go but be forewarned there is not too much to it.

Teatro Colon tour is very nice. The rest of your visit sounds good.

I would follow the advice and go with a tour to the soccer game. Going solo isn't the best idea. I would go with a tour or with locals that have been there many times. Take heed with the advice.

My friends in town follow this itinerary.

I see. Thanks. Yea I will look for a tour this Sunday. I thought Colonia was a UNESCO heritage site. Is it really that boring? The only UNESCO heritage sites I have been to were in Greece and Italy and they were pretty cool.
My friend came here a few years ago and I told him that it wasn't worth going to if he was only here a few days. He still went and left this review. YMMV but many people say the same thing. Plenty of things to do in Buenos Aires. It is ok if you want to visit but have reasonable expectations after all the advice given to you. I would also recommend to be careful going to soccer game alone. Economy isn't the best and crime is higher now. But highly recommend going. Nothing quite like going to a soccer game in Buenos Aires!

@1031Brah were you able to find cheap tickets to the premium game? How much are tickets? My assistant lives here and he told me never to go to a game alone. I heard it may be easier to get tickets to games now that economy is bad people people are selling them? Not sure if this is true or not. Colonia is boring.

I recommend you to contact them https://pibedebarrio.com/ if you want to go to see the game, they are extremely reliable and accompany you all the time.
But you know that the game is in Cordoba, right?

There will be no tickets available for this for the guy in the street, you and me, that is.

Do you fancy going to Cordoba to see a game with two sets of opposing fans?

Normally games have only home fans in attendance, but for cup games, both sets of fans will be present.

A recipe for violence .... watch on TV like all sensible guys

@1031Brah were you able to find cheap tickets to the premium game? How much are tickets? My assistant lives here and he told me never to go to a game alone. I heard it may be easier to get tickets to games now that economy is bad people people are selling them? Not sure if this is true or not. Colonia is boring.
I talked to a tour guide and he told me this game is actually taking place far away from Buenos Aires. I won't be going to this.

There will be no tickets available for this for the guy in the street, you and me, that is.

Do you fancy going to Cordoba to see a game with two sets of opposing fans?

Normally games have only home fans in attendance, but for cup games, both sets of fans will be present.

A recipe for violence .... watch on TV like all sensible guys
I talked to an American that I met at a bar the other day. I asked him if he went to a futbol match and he told me once he went alone and he didn't know and wore the wrong color jersey and someone punched him and he had a bloody nose. Not fun!

Yes I know now and I won't be attending anymore
There is a very popular bar where soccer fans go to watch the important games, you just have to go a while before because there will surely be many people, anyway many bars will broadcast it live, it is better than watching it in your apartment.

There is a very popular bar where soccer fans go to watch the important games, you just have to go a while before because there will surely be many people, anyway many bars will broadcast it live, it is better than watching it in your apartment.

Yes I went there before and it was fun. It is fun to go with some friends but you can easily go alone. Everyone is friendly.

Another option is the Desarmadero Bar, I've been there and the atmosphere is very good for watching games. It is in Palermo.

They just show european and argentinian soccer matches there? or if you have a request and they have the channel, they will change the TV? I was in Montevideo when Messi was playing and I asked the bartenders to change the channel but they said no. They wanted to watch their local team Penarol play a team from Venezuela. The score was 5-0 and the people were not watching the game, just eating food and talking with friends.

They just show european and argentinian soccer matches there? or if you have a request and they have the channel, they will change the TV? I was in Montevideo when Messi was playing and I asked the bartenders to change the channel but they said no. They wanted to watch their local team Penarol play a team from Venezuela. The score was 5-0 and the people were not watching the game, just eating food and talking with friends.
Well, they always broadcast the most popular games, I guess if no one was watching they should have let you watch Messi's game without problems but you know there is a certain rivalry between Argentina and Uruguay...they still think they are superior, so I guess they must not love Messi haha.

Back