Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Tips for my 2 weeks trip to BA - Apartment recommendations

FYI I just got a discount code sent to me from Western Union for 50% off their fees. Do you think it is best, once I am in BA in case I need pesos (effectivo), to use Western Union? Or is it better to withdraw cash before I arrive in BA and go to an intercambio? or just withdraw $20 worth of pesos from an atm with my Schwab card?
It all depends on how much you will spend. The answer will be different for each person.

If you’re going to be here for any length of time you will probably hit WU a few times.

$20 worth of ATM isn’t too much. Probably better to bring some cash and put it in the safe and just exchange as you need it.

Charge as much as you can on credit cards. Probably won’t use cash much as Uber all take credit cards.

FYI I just got a discount code sent to me from Western Union for 50% off their fees. Do you think it is best, once I am in BA in case I need pesos (effectivo), to use Western Union? Or is it better to withdraw cash before I arrive in BA and go to an intercambio? or just withdraw $20 worth of pesos from an atm with my Schwab card?
You will always need some pesos because almost no restaurants allow you to tip on your credit card so you should always have some cash around. 10% tip is normal. So bring a few hundred bucks and exchange when you get here. Many exchange houses all over the city. If you are going to Palermo there is an office that always has good exchange rates in front of Plaza de Immigrantes on Serrano.

I rarely use my ATM card. Only in emergencies if I am out of cash and need some but credit cards will get you through 85% of your expenses typically. Don't overstress it. You can also use WU as needed. BA is much easier vs. past years. Reading old blogs has wrong info but all these people on this thread are giving you real-time up to date info.

It all depends on how much you will spend. The answer will be different for each person.

If you’re going to be here for any length of time you will probably hit WU a few times.

$20 worth of ATM isn’t too much. Probably better to bring some cash and put it in the safe and just exchange as you need it.

Charge as much as you can on credit cards. Probably won’t use cash much as Uber all take credit cards.
@1031Brah the only way you will need lots of cash is if you're going out to the clubs where you pick up pros. Of course they don't accept credit cards!

@1031Brah the only way you will need lots of cash is if you're going out to the clubs where you pick up pros. Of course they don't accept credit cards!
The struggle is real! You can spend lots of money in BA if you wanted to. I had some friends in town and they were going out every night to the clubs and picking up girls and going out on expensive dates. You can blow a lot of cash in this town too.

You are probably joking but this is actually true. I went to some clubs and also dined out at some nice restaurants. Overall Buenos Aires is affordable but it is easy to spend money here too. There is something for everyone here. @1031Brah just keep in mind it is a very late night city. You are young but for me it is a very late scene.

Welcome to Buenos Aires. Be careful in La Boca. You will love my city. Palermo all of it is very nice. Libertador is wide and big avenue. Maybe just be careful to avoid big busy street like Llibertador as there lot traffic and very loud with many cars. If they have apartment close by on quieter street it much better for you. Same goes for any big busy street I would recommend going away unless the Airbnb on back of the building (contrafrente) maybe you can ask owner.

Congrats for graduating law school. You will like BA.
This is the best piece of advice. Avoid Airbnbs on busy streets. I had rented an apartment on Airbnb that was fabulous in the photos so I booked it. I loved the property minus all the buses. Avoid streets like Las Heras unless the apartment has double pane windows. You might want to see which bus lines are on that street.

what do you recommend for getting pesos? I don't have a new $100 bill with me, just my credit cards. Do you think I should just withdraw about $20 USD worth of pesos from the atm in BA? I have a few debit cards that refund me the costs.

Do you have recommendations for gyms that sell weekyl or monthly passes? I was looking at the Megatlon as one option
@1031Brah. You will be fine with credit cards and Western Union. I brought some cash with me but I ended up using much of it for my down payment on an apartment so I used Western Union but really you can charge many things to your credit card.

Where did you end up booking? I'm itching to come back but had a tough few months dealing with a death in my family. I will probably be back now in July or August.

what do you recommend for getting pesos? I don't have a new $100 bill with me, just my credit cards. Do you think I should just withdraw about $20 USD worth of pesos from the atm in BA? I have a few debit cards that refund me the costs.

Do you have recommendations for gyms that sell weekyl or monthly passes? I was looking at the Megatlon as one option
@1031Brah you will love BA! I don't think it is worth it withdrawing from ATM. Barely get anything. I have a Schwab card and they reimburse fees but I could only get about $25 each time. It wasn't worth the hassle. I brought down some $100 bills and exchanged at the exchange houses. I felt rich coming out as you'd get a huge stack of 1,000 peso bills. They sure did spend quickly!

It will be nice once the new 20,000 notes and 10,000 notes come out in June. Rumor is that the ATM withdrawal limits will be raised then. Let's see. I hope it's not like the 2,000 notes. Even though they printed them I rarely ever see them.

I arrive this Thurdsay via the boat from Montevideo. I wonder what BA will be like. I'll be here for a few weeks. Right now in Uruguay the weather is nice, but I am surprsied with how many mosquitos are here. I feel like I'm in living in California with the weather, but somewhere in the deep south with the amount of mosquitos here.

One big difference I noticed is that up north in Mexico, caribbean, and central american they are big drinkers. Here in uUuguay they are big smokers. The bars and clubs here are open until 5 30 am which is pretty impressive, considering most clubs and bars in the US and latin america close at 2 am.

I arrive this Thurdsay via the boat from Montevideo. I wonder what BA will be like. I'll be here for a few weeks. Right now in Uruguay the weather is nice, but I am surprsied with how many mosquitos are here. I feel like I'm in living in California with the weather, but somewhere in the deep south with the amount of mosquitos here.

One big difference I noticed is that up north in Mexico, caribbean, and central american they are big drinkers. Here in uUuguay they are big smokers. The bars and clubs here are open until 5 30 am which is pretty impressive, considering most clubs and bars in the US and latin america close at 2 am.
The mosquitos are terrible this year. They are very bad in BA too. This isn’t normal. BA is even more late night than Uruguay so be prepared. They party all night here.

How do you like Montevideo besides the mosquitos? It is a nice quiet city. BA has much more life vs. Uruguay. Don't judge this year with the mosquitos as it is crazy this year. I have been in BA for over a decade and coming a long time and never seen it this bad. Lots of Argentine smokers too. BA is a VERY late night city so be prepared. They eat dinner here very late too.

How do you like Montevideo besides the mosquitos? It is a nice quiet city. BA has much more life vs. Uruguay. Don't judge this year with the mosquitos as it is crazy this year. I have been in BA for over a decade and coming a long time and never seen it this bad. Lots of Argentine smokers too. BA is a VERY late night city so be prepared. They eat dinner here very late too.
I like it here a lot. It's quite different than Mexico and Central America, and even the rest of South America. Lot of people here in Uruguay that look like myself. They mostly speak spanish and a few words of english. Montevideo is also pretty modern compared to most parts of Mexico (beside CDMX, MTY, GDL) and Central America. I get a European vibe in this city and they have sidewalks here. In Panama & Central America its a lot of dirt or stones on the side walks (if they have them). The weather here in MVD is excellent too. Reminds me of California weather.

But at the same time I feel like I am getting a limited experience of the country since I am staying in Pocitos, the richest part of Montevideo and Uruguay. I have a feeling that if I go to the northern part of MVD or to other cities like Florida, Maldonado, and Canelones it starts to look a lot like the rest of LatAm (trecer mundo). MVD also doesn't have a subway and doesn't have any skyskrapers. But otherwise the people here are really nice.

I like it here a lot. It's quite different than Mexico and Central America, and even the rest of South America. Lot of people here in Uruguay that look like myself. They mostly speak spanish and a few words of english. Montevideo is also pretty modern compared to most parts of Mexico (beside CDMX, MTY, GDL) and Central America. I get a European vibe in this city and they have sidewalks here. In Panama & Central America its a lot of dirt or stones on the side walks (if they have them). The weather here in MVD is excellent too. Reminds me of California weather.

But at the same time I feel like I am getting a limited experience of the country since I am staying in Pocitos, the richest part of Montevideo and Uruguay. I have a feeling that if I go to the northern part of MVD or to other cities like Florida, Maldonado, and Canelones it starts to look a lot like the rest of LatAm (trecer mundo). MVD also doesn't have a subway and doesn't have any skyskrapers. But otherwise the people here are really nice.
I am glad to hear your trip is off to a good start in Uruguay. You will notice the same thing here in Argentina when you come here. Many Europeans settled here so most people look very European because they are. It is quite different than much of Latin America. You will be surprised here in Buenos Aires on how European it can feel.

The weather this time of year is very nice but it can also be miserable. This is a good time of year. Uruguay is a very small country. You are staying in nicer area but there are some parts that are as you describe. The people in Uruguay are very nice people. More laid back and relaxed than in Buenos Aires.

For western union, when I transfer money, do I transfer dollars or pesos? Originally I thought I would transfer dollars to exchange at the cambio, but doesn't Western Union match the same rate to exchange dollars to pesos? I arrive tomorrow (thursday) afternoon.

For western union, when I transfer money, do I transfer dollars or pesos? Originally I thought I would transfer dollars to exchange at the cambio, but doesn't Western Union match the same rate to exchange dollars to pesos? I arrive tomorrow (thursday) afternoon.
You will send US dollars but you will pick it up and they will give it to you in Argentine pesos. You can see the exchange rate on their App when you are sending it. Today it is 1,033 pesos to $1 US dollar. The rate changes each day.

I am seeing a tour offered for $200 for boca jrs game. Is it worth it? That's a lot of argentinian pesos there.
The soccer matches are very expensive here. Is it just a tour or an actual match?

Back