Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Tips for my 2 weeks trip to BA - Apartment recommendations

1031Brah

I have read a few threads here and also reviewed some of the websites that were linked. Basically I compiled a list of museums, private tours, and then areas to explore and also to avoid. I also added to explore the Boca neighborhood and visit Teatro Colon and the Obelisk.

Maybe as a starter point, for booking my airbnb, anywhere in the vicinity of the Palermo neighborhood is fine? or should I aim for a specific part like near avenue del liberator or maybe an apartment in Palermo Hollywood, which I assume is another distinct neighborhood? I am a young guy who just graduated from law school but I wouldn't say I'm a "passport bro." I have a girlfriend. Any recommendations for what area to look for in Palermo or any apartment in Palermo is fine?

I am also stopping by in Montevideo for 5 days before I arrive in BA. Do you have any suggestions for things to see or do in Montevideo?

Thanks. I was referred here from Reddit to FYI and you guys helped me out with my question about Amex credit cards.

Hi @1031Brah. Honestly anywhere in Palermo is going to be fine. I have been here a few months and stayed around different parts of Palermo and also Recoleta. I actually like Recoleta better as it is quieter and more residential but Palermo is full of life. Belgrano would also be nice if it wasn't too far away but with traffic it would be too long distance staying there.

Palermo Hollywood is nice. Palermo is actually one huge neighborhood and the largest one so the locals break it down into different parts. You will be ok in Palermo Hollywood, Palermo Soho, Palermo Chico or probably in that area. Soho is much more touristy which can get old after a few days.

I went to Montevideo for a weekend and it was nice. Take the Buquebus ferry over. It is actually smaller than I expected.

In general Palermo is one of the nicest neighborhoods in BA, whether it is Soho, Chico or Hollywood. I think I would choose Palermo Hollywood as it is one of the city's favorite places to dine, as it has a variety of restaurants ranging from elegant sushi bars to sophisticated steakhouses. If you want to enjoy the nightlife, this is the neighborhood for you.

I have read a few threads here and also reviewed some of the websites that were linked. Basically I compiled a list of museums, private tours, and then areas to explore and also to avoid. I also added to explore the Boca neighborhood and visit Teatro Colon and the Obelisk.

Maybe as a starter point, for booking my airbnb, anywhere in the vicinity of the Palermo neighborhood is fine? or should I aim for a specific part like near avenue del liberator or maybe an apartment in Palermo Hollywood, which I assume is another distinct neighborhood? I am a young guy who just graduated from law school but I wouldn't say I'm a "passport bro." I have a girlfriend. Any recommendations for what area to look for in Palermo or any apartment in Palermo is fine?

I am also stopping by in Montevideo for 5 days before I arrive in BA. Do you have any suggestions for things to see or do in Montevideo?

Thanks. I was referred here from Reddit to FYI and you guys helped me out with my question about Amex credit cards.
Welcome to Buenos Aires. Be careful in La Boca. You will love my city. Palermo all of it is very nice. Libertador is wide and big avenue. Maybe just be careful to avoid big busy street like Llibertador as there lot traffic and very loud with many cars. If they have apartment close by on quieter street it much better for you. Same goes for any big busy street I would recommend going away unless the Airbnb on back of the building (contrafrente) maybe you can ask owner.

Congrats for graduating law school. You will like BA.

Thank you to everyone who answered my questions. I will proceed to book an airbnb in Palermo soon this week.
Welcome to Buenos Aires. Be careful in La Boca. You will love my city. Palermo all of it is very nice. Libertador is wide and big avenue. Maybe just be careful to avoid big busy street like Llibertador as there lot traffic and very loud with many cars. If they have apartment close by on quieter street it much better for you. Same goes for any big busy street I would recommend going away unless the Airbnb on back of the building (contrafrente) maybe you can ask owner.

Congrats for graduating law school. You will like BA.
I agree with my friend Che Vos. Better avoid big major streets or intersections. Buenos Aires is very loud city with a lot of traffic. Palermo is a very fine neighborhood but parts of it feel much different than other parts. Feel free to ask advice here and those of us that live here will do best to help you and give you advice. Often time I have friends that come here and they send me Airbnb links and I tell them which is better. All Palermo area very safe. But best to see how much noise. Also maybe ask which floor the unit is in as higher floor better for view and noise.

Have fun.

what do you recommend for getting pesos? I don't have a new $100 bill with me, just my credit cards. Do you think I should just withdraw about $20 USD worth of pesos from the atm in BA? I have a few debit cards that refund me the costs.

Do you have recommendations for gyms that sell weekyl or monthly passes? I was looking at the Megatlon as one option

what do you recommend for getting pesos? I don't have a new $100 bill with me, just my credit cards. Do you think I should just withdraw about $20 USD worth of pesos from the atm in BA? I have a few debit cards that refund me the costs.

Do you have recommendations for gyms that sell weekyl or monthly passes? I was looking at the Megatlon as one option
If you have cards that reimburse you but keep in mind you can't withdraw much at all. It sounds like you read those posts since you mentioned the $20 USD worth of pesos. That isn't much. You can use Western Union as that works really well. You can send yourself funds and it is ready within minutes. Many locations around Palermo. I have been using that often and it works very well.

It helps if you bring down some $100 USD bills and you can exchange them at an exchange house. They are all over Buenos Aires. I go to the one in Palermo Soho in front of Plaza Serrano. But credit cards work well here. The only place I can't use my credit card is in taxis. Most restaurants all accept them.

I am bringing $2,000 US with me and will exchange a little at a time as I read it's not good to exchange all at once. My friend has been living there in BA the past few months and she said there are only a few things she can't use her credit card for. Taxis and small flea markets in San Telmo or Palermo.

My friend goes to Megatlon and they do sell monthly memberships. She said that many smaller gyms will also allow you to do monthly membership. I will ask if she has the name of one but Megatlon has a WhatsApp on their website that you can ask prices. My friend goes to the Alto Palermo location.

You will enjoy Palermo but just keep in mind the "tourist tax" you will pay in places like Palermo Soho. All things are more expensive in this neighborhood compared to some others. Avoid the super touristy restaurants like Don Julio or El Preferido de Palermo (same owners) as they will price gouge you.

Montevideo is a a nice city. Not a ton to do but I enjoy the Rambla and some of my favorite things there.

1. Explore Ciudad Vieja: Wander through the historic Old Town, Ciudad Vieja, where you can find colonial architecture, charming cafes, and the bustling Mercado del Puerto, a market filled with vendors selling local crafts and delicious food.
  2. Visit Plaza Independencia: This central square is a hub of activity and history. It's home to important landmarks like the Solís Theatre, the Artigas Mausoleum, and the iconic Palacio Salvo, a towering architectural gem.
  3. Take a stroll along La Rambla: Enjoy a leisurely walk or bike ride along La Rambla, a scenic coastal promenade that stretches for several miles. It offers beautiful views of the Rio de la Plata and is a popular spot for locals and tourists alike.
  4. Visit Museums and Cultural Centers: Montevideo boasts several museums and cultural centers showcasing Uruguayan art, history, and culture. Highlights include the National History Museum, the National Museum of Visual Arts, and the Museo Torres García.
  5. Enjoy the Beaches: Relax and soak up the sun at one of Montevideo's beaches, such as Playa Pocitos or Playa Ramirez. These beaches offer a perfect escape from the city heat during the summer months.
  6. Try Uruguayan Cuisine: Sample traditional Uruguayan dishes like asado (barbecue), chivito (a hearty steak sandwich), and mate (a popular herbal tea). Montevideo is home to numerous restaurants and cafes where you can savor authentic Uruguayan flavors.
  7. Attend a Tango Show: Experience the passion and rhythm of tango by attending a live performance or taking a tango lesson at one of Montevideo's many dance halls and clubs.
  8. Visit Parque Rodó: This picturesque park offers green spaces, walking trails, a lake, and even a small amusement park. It's a great place to relax, have a picnic, or enjoy outdoor activities.
  9. Explore the Mercado Agricola: This vibrant indoor market is a food lover's paradise, offering a wide variety of fresh produce, meats, cheeses, and other local products. It's a great place to experience the flavors of Uruguay.
  10. Take a Day Trip to Colonia del Sacramento: Just a short ferry ride away from Montevideo, Colonia del Sacramento is a charming colonial town with cobblestone streets, historic buildings, and scenic waterfront views. It's a UNESCO World Heritage Site and makes for a perfect day trip from Montevideo.
The people are very friendly there and it's more laid back than BA.

who told you this? i've heard the absolute opposite, and i got nowhere near it in my 3 months:

earlyretirement "La Boca isn't my cup of tea. I agree you go once and that is it."

Jamir "Walking on the main streets from La Boca to San Telmo is not advisable for visitors."

Colin "I can't imagine hanging out in La Boca for any long amount of time without speaking Spanish. It can be rough! I saw a guy getting his camera stolen there in broad day light!"

CheVos "Be careful in La Boca."

Palermo is so huge and has so much stuff to do; i'd stick to doing things in a spiral pattern, doing the closest first and learning which streets/areas you like, then expanding outward. don't be like most tourists and just Uber everywhere because it's cheap - if you're able to, walk a ton! best way to scout-out a new city :)

@1031Brah each Megatlon has a different setup, and you need to WhatsApp chat them to haggle. try to pay $40 USD per month, no contract. some gyms in Monserrat were $4 USD a day for guest passes, and some were $20 USD per month (no A/C). just depends. everything is negotiable, there are no prices, so spend 10 minutes comparing them (credit card prices) and then tell them you're going with the cheapest. i stayed in Belgrano my last month in CABA (in Cordoba now) and i ran 18 minutes to the Nunez gym because it had a 25-meter swimming pool :) BLACK membership is all locations, otherwise you pay for PlatinoPlus and get one "sede" or ubicacion (location). i've never heard the word sede before coming to BsAs, nor pileta (pool).

Last edited:
who told you this? i've heard the absolute opposite, and i got nowhere near it in my 3 months:

earlyretirement "La Boca isn't my cup of tea. I agree you go once and that is it."

Jamir "Walking on the main streets from La Boca to San Telmo is not advisable for visitors."

Colin "I can't imagine hanging out in La Boca for any long amount of time without speaking Spanish. It can be rough! I saw a guy getting his camera stolen there in broad day light!"

Palermo is so huge and has so much stuff to do; i'd stick to doing things in a spiral pattern, doing the closest first and learning which streets/areas you like, then expanding outward. don't be like most tourists and just Uber everywhere because it's cheap - if you're able to, walk a ton! best way to scout-out a new city :)

@1031Brah each Megatlon has a different setup, and you need to WhatsApp chat them to haggle. try to pay $40 USD per month, no contract. some gyms in Monserrat were $4 USD a day for guest passes, and some were $20 USD per month (no A/C). just depends. everything is negotiable, there are no prices, so spend 10 minutes comparing them (credit card prices) and then tell them you're going with the cheapest. i stayed in Belgrano my last month in CABA (in Cordoba now) and i ran 18 minutes to the Nunez gym because it had a 25-meter swimming pool :) BLACK membership is all locations, otherwise you pay for PlatinoPlus and get one "sede" or ubicacion (location). i've never heard the word sede before coming to BsAs, nor pileta (pool).
La Boca is a touristy area that is good for a visit and tourists do enjoy it with the colorful buildings. But you probably won't spend any considerable time here.

For Megatlon also negotiate with them for prepaying for more discounts. I am not sure how long you are coming for but sometimes if you prepay multiple months upfront they will discount it more. So ask. When my sister comes she used to go to Megatlon. Then she went to a smaller gym. Many of these smaller places will also do weekly or monthly passes if you ask so once you get to your Airbnb see what is around there and you can pop in and ask. There are small gyms all over Palermo.

All fabulous advice on this thread. @1031Brah you will enjoy Buenos Aires. Definitely take time to go to Teatre Colon. I'm not a big opera person but it's truly one of the best concert halls of the world. They have various events there. We have taken our kids to events there and even they loved it. People are giving great advice about Airbnb's in Palermo. Especially watching what street it is on if it's a busy street. Or if it's on a busy street see if there is sound proof windows which really helps.

You can't go wrong in Palermo but being in the heart of Soho can get really touristy and can get old after a while. I'm not sure how long you're going to Montevideo but you don't need too much time there. It's a really nice and laid back city. I used to own a house in Punta del Este which is a really nice city but fairly dead outside of high season of their summer.

The people in Montevideo are really friendly and safe. Just beware it's quite expensive there. Some people get surprised how expensive it can get there. If you go, also take the opportunity to withdraw some USD. You can withdraw USD from ATM machines there so you can take that opportunity to do that.

Have a great trip.

Thank you. yes I will make sure to avoid La Boca. I just heard they had some buildings and art dedicated to Maradona. Thought it might be a nice thing to take a photo of. But yes, I do not want to get robbed. My spanish is intermediate and I don't feel comfortable alone in dangerous areas.

Thank you. yes I will make sure to avoid La Boca. I just heard they had some buildings and art dedicated to Maradona. Thought it might be a nice thing to take a photo of. But yes, I do not want to get robbed. My spanish is intermediate and I don't feel comfortable alone in dangerous areas.
I wouldn’t say you need to avoid La Boca. It is maybe worth visiting once but I think what people are saying is you most likely won’t be spending a lot of time there. It’s kind of a touristy trap type of place.

You do have to watch your phone or camera in that area but you shouldn’t have issues if you are careful. I went there without issues if you go during the day. I would avoid that area after it gets dark.

FYI I just got a discount code sent to me from Western Union for 50% off their fees. Do you think it is best, once I am in BA in case I need pesos (effectivo), to use Western Union? Or is it better to withdraw cash before I arrive in BA and go to an intercambio? or just withdraw $20 worth of pesos from an atm with my Schwab card?

Back