Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Trip Reports Buenos Aires trip summary

TripMe

My spouse and I spent nine days exploring Buenos Aires in the middle of June. Drawing from advice found on Reddit, I thought I'd share a brief overview of our experiences in the city. It was our inaugural visit to BA, and we were thoroughly captivated by its allure. We opted for this destination because it offered a plethora of attractions that aligned with our interests: captivating architecture, vibrant art scene, rich history, stunning natural landscapes, delectable cuisine, and fine wines, all of which could be conveniently explored on foot. (To provide context, we are both 40 years old, hailing from the USA, and traveling with a moderate budget. While our Spanish skills are rudimentary, my husband is slightly more proficient than I am, and this proved beneficial as many locals spoke limited English – just a logistical note, not a complaint!)

Accommodation: We booked an Airbnb located in San Telmo, specifically a one-bedroom apartment situated on the fourth floor of a 27-story building. Our choice was influenced more by the amenities offered by the building rather than the apartment itself. The building provided round-the-clock security, access to a gym and rooftop pool boasting breathtaking views, laundry facilities in the basement, and two remarkable terraces on the top floor. These amenities were accessible to us as residents of the building. Although the apartment was satisfactory, it appeared somewhat dated and sparsely furnished. We had to purchase essentials like toilet paper and paper towels upon arrival, and there were only two bath towels and two hand towels provided. However, these were minor inconveniences considering the reasonable price of approximately $40 per night.

Transportation: While we typically rely on walking and public transit during our travels, we decided to use Uber extensively throughout our trip after our initial exhaustion from an overnight flight prompted us to Uber from EZE to our apartment. We found Uber to be both economical and efficient, opting for it whenever walking was impractical or unsafe, especially at night.

Dining: Ah, the food! Let me tell you about the culinary delights of Buenos Aires. Although we couldn't secure a reservation at Don Julio due to the spontaneous nature of our trip, we savored delectable steaks based on recommendations from Google reviews. We did visit Café Tortoni for merienda, indulging in dulce de leche churros and hot chocolate, which were simply divine. Our most memorable dining experience, however, was at Negresco Bistro in the Palladio Hotel, where we relished a sumptuous slow-roasted lamb shank meal. Every aspect of the dining experience, from the welcome cocktail to the attentive service, was impeccable. We stumbled upon Negresco while exploring El Ateneo Grand Splendid, and we're grateful we did. Other noteworthy mentions include Fervor in Recoleta, Merci in Mercado San Telmo for their kouign amann, and the mouthwatering choripan from a street vendor in Boca.

Activities: Our itinerary was packed with guided tours of iconic landmarks such as Palacio Barolo and Teatro Colón, both of which we highly recommend for an in-depth exploration of these architectural marvels. As a fan of historic cemeteries, Recoleta Cemetery exceeded my expectations, while the Museo Nacional de Bellas Artes in Recoleta and MALBA in Palermo offered enriching art experiences. We also enjoyed leisurely strolls through Jardín Botánico Carlos Thays and the Ecological Reserve, which provided a tranquil escape from the bustling city streets. Exploring neighborhoods like Boca and Puerto Madero on foot offered unique insights into the local culture and architecture. Additionally, we embarked on day trips to Tigre and Colonia del Sacramento, both of which offered contrasting yet equally memorable experiences.

In conclusion, our time in Buenos Aires was nothing short of enchanting. I hope this summary serves as a helpful guide for fellow travelers planning their first visit to this captivating city.

My spouse and I spent nine days exploring Buenos Aires in the middle of June. Drawing from advice found on Reddit, I thought I'd share a brief overview of our experiences in the city. It was our inaugural visit to BA, and we were thoroughly captivated by its allure. We opted for this destination because it offered a plethora of attractions that aligned with our interests: captivating architecture, vibrant art scene, rich history, stunning natural landscapes, delectable cuisine, and fine wines, all of which could be conveniently explored on foot. (To provide context, we are both 40 years old, hailing from the USA, and traveling with a moderate budget. While our Spanish skills are rudimentary, my husband is slightly more proficient than I am, and this proved beneficial as many locals spoke limited English – just a logistical note, not a complaint!)

Accommodation: We booked an Airbnb located in San Telmo, specifically a one-bedroom apartment situated on the fourth floor of a 27-story building. Our choice was influenced more by the amenities offered by the building rather than the apartment itself. The building provided round-the-clock security, access to a gym and rooftop pool boasting breathtaking views, laundry facilities in the basement, and two remarkable terraces on the top floor. These amenities were accessible to us as residents of the building. Although the apartment was satisfactory, it appeared somewhat dated and sparsely furnished. We had to purchase essentials like toilet paper and paper towels upon arrival, and there were only two bath towels and two hand towels provided. However, these were minor inconveniences considering the reasonable price of approximately $40 per night.

Transportation: While we typically rely on walking and public transit during our travels, we decided to use Uber extensively throughout our trip after our initial exhaustion from an overnight flight prompted us to Uber from EZE to our apartment. We found Uber to be both economical and efficient, opting for it whenever walking was impractical or unsafe, especially at night.

Dining: Ah, the food! Let me tell you about the culinary delights of Buenos Aires. Although we couldn't secure a reservation at Don Julio due to the spontaneous nature of our trip, we savored delectable steaks based on recommendations from Google reviews. We did visit Café Tortoni for merienda, indulging in dulce de leche churros and hot chocolate, which were simply divine. Our most memorable dining experience, however, was at Negresco Bistro in the Palladio Hotel, where we relished a sumptuous slow-roasted lamb shank meal. Every aspect of the dining experience, from the welcome cocktail to the attentive service, was impeccable. We stumbled upon Negresco while exploring El Ateneo Grand Splendid, and we're grateful we did. Other noteworthy mentions include Fervor in Recoleta, Merci in Mercado San Telmo for their kouign amann, and the mouthwatering choripan from a street vendor in Boca.

Activities: Our itinerary was packed with guided tours of iconic landmarks such as Palacio Barolo and Teatro Colón, both of which we highly recommend for an in-depth exploration of these architectural marvels. As a fan of historic cemeteries, Recoleta Cemetery exceeded my expectations, while the Museo Nacional de Bellas Artes in Recoleta and MALBA in Palermo offered enriching art experiences. We also enjoyed leisurely strolls through Jardín Botánico Carlos Thays and the Ecological Reserve, which provided a tranquil escape from the bustling city streets. Exploring neighborhoods like Boca and Puerto Madero on foot offered unique insights into the local culture and architecture. Additionally, we embarked on day trips to Tigre and Colonia del Sacramento, both of which offered contrasting yet equally memorable experiences.

In conclusion, our time in Buenos Aires was nothing short of enchanting. I hope this summary serves as a helpful guide for fellow travelers planning their first visit to this captivating city.
Great Trip Report!

Back