Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Is the Expat party in Buenos Aires coming to an end?

Expat party ended for me. I'm moving to Spain in a few months. I am here in Barcelona now. I didn't realize there was so much crime. I have watched 4 people get their purses stolen.. Amazing to see the amount of crime here! Makes me realize just how safe Buenos Aires is.
2 of my friends also are leaving Buenos Aires. I would avoid major cities in Spain which will be expensive but food costs are probably cheaper in Malaga than BA these days. Expat party is ending.

Grass is greener on the other side. Spaniards leaving Spain.

But I wonder if they are counting Argentines as Spaniards. I am here in Malaga now and some of my girlfriend's friends are thinking about moving back to Buenos Aires now. Go figure. They believe that Milei will improve things so will see how things go this year. All these Argentines living there have Spanish passports so if they are leaving, it could just be them coming back. So you have to be careful of these types of statistics.

Malaga is very nice and grocery stores here are affordable. I would say cheaper than Buenos Aires right now. TON of Argentines here.

But I wonder if they are counting Argentines as Spaniards. I am here in Malaga now and some of my girlfriend's friends are thinking about moving back to Buenos Aires now. Go figure. They believe that Milei will improve things so will see how things go this year. All these Argentines living there have Spanish passports so if they are leaving, it could just be them coming back. So you have to be careful of these types of statistics.

Malaga is very nice and grocery stores here are affordable. I would say cheaper than Buenos Aires right now. TON of Argentines here.
SO many locals here in Buenos Aires have a Spanish passport. My girlfriend and all her friends have one. Was it that easy for them to get passports there? Only if their grandparents had passports there?

Grass is greener on the other side. Spaniards leaving Spain.

Interesting statistics about "Spanish" leaving. I was wondering the same as Jame Bond if it's just people that have a passport that are leaving to come back. But I know a ton of Argentine friends that moved to Spain and they are much happier there. They tell me they miss Buenos Aires but they said quality of life is much higher there in Spain without the drama.

@James Bond I keep hearing how Buenos Aires is more expensive than Spain with groceries. Can you comment if that is true? How are the prices there at the grocery stores there? More affordable than Argentina?

@James Bond I keep hearing how Buenos Aires is more expensive than Spain with groceries. Can you comment if that is true? How are the prices there at the grocery stores there? More affordable than Argentina?
Yes this is true. I think overall Spain is probably cheaper on many items and maybe the same on some items. The products are much fresher and higher quality in Spain vs. Argentina. Especially on fruits and vegetables. Here you can see a few prices and this is what I am seeing as well. You can go on Tik Tok and do searches and see many posts. What is nice here in Spain is no inflation like Argentina to worry about. In Argentina from one week to the next some items would jump up and double. Tuna for a while was crazy and you don't have that to worry about here. Prices are stable.

Spain has cheaper groceries than Buenos Aires. I have been posting for several months that Buenos Aires is more expensive vs. many Europe cities and the USA. Now you all are seeing I was right. Media is starting to write about it too. Here is an article that talks about Buenos Aires supermarket more expensive than Buenos Aires.

Spain has cheaper groceries than Buenos Aires. I have been posting for several months that Buenos Aires is more expensive vs. many Europe cities and the USA. Now you all are seeing I was right. Media is starting to write about it too. Here is an article that talks about Buenos Aires supermarket more expensive than Buenos Aires.

Not sure why but I have been seeing a lot of media comparisons of Argentina and Spain for cost of living. Here is a tourist from Spain saying how shocked he was with increasing prices in Argentina.

I think it is safe to say the expat party is over in Buenos Aires or close to it.

Milei supporters and opponents agree on one thing: Argentina is expensive in US dollars.

Unless you live in one of the big cities , a car is a necessity.

Food is keenly priced , compare to Argentina

But electricity. water and gas/petrol prices are all expensive.
Agree. My friend lives there and he likes it a lot. He said grocery stores are cheaper than Argentina before and especially now with the inflation. Utilities, water and gas all much more expensive but he said he likes it better than living in Argentina because it's fairly stable there with prices.

I am curious in light of the increased price increases if any of you expats are planning to leave Argentina? My wife's family is here but for the first time in many years my wife has hinted that she would be open to moving out of Argentina. This was an eye opener to me on how bad things have become. I wouldn't be opposed to possibly moving since I only moved here due to my wife. But is anyone else leaving?

I am curious in light of the increased price increases if any of you expats are planning to leave Argentina? My wife's family is here but for the first time in many years my wife has hinted that she would be open to moving out of Argentina. This was an eye opener to me on how bad things have become. I wouldn't be opposed to possibly moving since I only moved here due to my wife. But is anyone else leaving?
I was in the exact same situation as you. Stayed for my girlfriend as she has a kid. But her entire family is all moving to Spain so off we go. I did enjoy Buenos Aires but it's time to move on. Spain seems like it will be a good fit. Most of her friends have already moved there. Affordable and better quality of life.

If Milei's changes don't work my hunch is social unrest so we are getting out ahead of that. Costs keep going up there no matter what people are saying about the slowing inflation. It is still going up and quite expensive now compared to what it used to be. Dealing with all the BS and red tape was worth it when cost of living was very low. But just didn't make sense to us with it getting more expensive.

I was planning to move down to BA although I never even been here yet. But trip kept getting delayed with the mosquito situation. And the more I think about it the more I see what a screwed up country it is if they can't even stock mosquito spray! And there is always dog poop on the sidewalks. I need to rethink things. Maybe Spain is better as I can get a digital nomad visa there and all of you are raving about how great it is there.

Back