Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Is the Expat party in Buenos Aires coming to an end?

For some people, the party is ending or ended in the UK or USA where it is too expensive. Heading to Argentina still.

But for inflation in States you all make much more money than here in Argentina. Our salary very low for all the people even though cost so high.

But for inflation in States you all make much more money than here in Argentina. Our salary very low for all the people even though cost so high.
We make more but cost of living is much much much higher than Argentina. Some things are expensive in Argentina but things like rent you can get fairly cheap in Argentina. Try renting something in major cities in the USA and it's sky high. I am not arguing that Buenos Aires is not expensive because it is very expensive relative to wages. Not sure how you all do it.

I am here in Spain and it is a great alternative. Where are those of you heading that are thinking about moving out of Argentina?
Glad your Spain move is working out. I might be looking to try for something new. A friend is living in Bangkok and enjoys it other than the hot weather. They say quality of life is very high and cost of living is extremely low. Excellent and fresh food. They say healthcare is good and affordable. Very nice people.

Do those of you that know Bangkok know what medical costs are like? Can you just pay as you go or better to get a policy. Is it easy for expats to get residency status there?

Glad your Spain move is working out. I might be looking to try for something new. A friend is living in Bangkok and enjoys it other than the hot weather. They say quality of life is very high and cost of living is extremely low. Excellent and fresh food. They say healthcare is good and affordable. Very nice people.

Do those of you that know Bangkok know what medical costs are like? Can you just pay as you go or better to get a policy. Is it easy for expats to get residency status there?
Asia seems to be a hot spot. Some friends are on the hunt for affordable living and Thailand, Phillipines and Malasia all seem popular. I have no idea what residency options exist. But definitely very affordable there on my visits.

I read that it is very easy to get residency in the Phillipines. Some as low as $20,000 investment depending on your age.

Thailand is not as easy but you can also invest some funds in a bank account and get residency there to stay in Thailand. Not difficult from what I am reading.

Most of my male friends that moved to Thailand didn't last there more than 2 years. The heat and humidity drove them out. It is a beautiful country but horrible weather.
I believe that cost of living has also drastically gone up in Thailand hasn't it? I saw a few Tik Tok videos of people saying big exchange rate shift and inflation just like everywhere else. The grass seldom is greener on the other side. Every place has their own issues.

I believe that cost of living has also drastically gone up in Thailand hasn't it? I saw a few Tik Tok videos of people saying big exchange rate shift and inflation just like everywhere else.

Malaysia as well, because of economic restructuring, this year people will feel the pinch as COL goes up sharply due to targeted subsidies for fuel and electricity and higher taxes.

Expats really need to consider the cost and inconvenience of moving around. Tickets, visas, paperwork, rental agreements... And, most likely, that new affordable destination will become more expensive soon enough.

Those who have sufficient savings, should try and buy a place somewhere with universal health (or the closest thing to it) and settle there. COL is on the rise globally. The world has turned into a game of musical chairs, unfortunately.

Last edited:
Malaysia as well, because of economic restructuring, this year people will feel the pinch as COL goes up sharply due to targeted subsidies for fuel and electricity and higher taxes.

Expats really need to consider the cost and inconvenience of moving around. Tickets, visas, paperwork, rental agreements... And, most likely, that new affordable destination will become more expensive soon enough.

Those who have sufficient savings, should try and buy a place somewhere with universal health (or the closest thing to it) and settle there. COL is on the rise globally. The world has turned into a game of musical chairs, unfortunately.
Excellent advice that is so very true. Most of my local friends that try to tell me that Argentina is as expensive as the States I laugh. And some expats that try to tell me that have not tried to live in the US for a while. I have many siblings that live all across the USA and cost of living is very high. I doubt anyone currently living in Buenos Aires can try to move back to a major metro area of the States on the same money and make it.

@Sunny provides sage advice about cost of moving around, plane tickets, hassles with long-term rentals and healthcare hassles. People complain about health insurance premiums rising in Argentina but they neglect to talk about how affordable treatment is should you need to go to the hospital. Same can't be said about the USA.

I have local friends that don't make a lot of money but they survive here following @Sunny's sage advice to buy a property. Once I purchased a property here in BA my cost of living is fairly low here. Even when I owned a property in the States, now when I think about HOA, insurance, maintenance and upkeep I doubt I could make it.

Aint this the truth! I have a buddy that is always trying to chase the lowest cost of living but I joke with him that by the time he legally gets all the paperwork to stay there it isn't cheap anymore. Plus in most places now it is stricter and more difficult to get legal residency. My friend delayed getting his permanent residency in Mexico and now you need a lot more money to get residency there!

Best advice is to buy a place even if it is a small apartment so you aren't stuck at the mercy of renting as you don't know what rental prices will be like. Best thing I did here in BA. My monthly homeowners bill is only $125 USD! I ain't going anywhere!

So true. I am trying hard to buy a place somewhere. It saved me buying a place in the US and making mortgage payments instead of rental payments. Built up a ton of equity and sold my place. Now I have to find a place to own. It is all cash in all of the Latin American cities I am looking. But price of properties is much lower than the USA.

We are most likely going to throw in the towel. Prices are too high here and we sense things are not improving like some say they will. We notice more homelessness in the streets. We may look to SE Asia. The weather isn't as pleasant but I wonder if Vietnam or Thailand might make sense. It sounds from this thread that costs have gone up there as well but prices there are still very low and there isn't the inflation like Argentina to contend with. Anyone have any experiences of living in SE Asia?

We are most likely going to throw in the towel. Prices are too high here and we sense things are not improving like some say they will. We notice more homelessness in the streets. We may look to SE Asia. The weather isn't as pleasant but I wonder if Vietnam or Thailand might make sense. It sounds from this thread that costs have gone up there as well but prices there are still very low and there isn't the inflation like Argentina to contend with. Anyone have any experiences of living in SE Asia?
Have you calculated the costs of relocating to SEA, or anywhere else for that matter? How does that compare with what you'd spend living in Argentina another year or two?

We don't really know what's going to happen here, but if inflation continues to go down, there's a good chance that things will improve in the coming months. Wouldn't it make sense to wait it out a bit?

Unless, of course, you guys feel it's time to change the scenery, regardless.

Have you calculated the costs of relocating to SEA, or anywhere else for that matter? How does that compare with what you'd spend living in Argentina another year or two?

We don't really know what's going to happen here, but if inflation continues to go down, there's a good chance that things will improve in the coming months. Wouldn't it make sense to wait it out a bit?

Agree people all around the world have a chicken little mindset. Although I feel very lucky to have sold off my bitcoin portfolio at $71,000. It hit $58,000 today just a few weeks later.

Agree people all around the world have a chicken little mindset. Although I feel very lucky to have sold off my bitcoin portfolio at $71,000. It hit $58,000 today just a few weeks later.
I also sold my bitcoin at $70k. I am waiting to buy back in. I will never understand people that don't take some profits off the table and just watch it yo yo back and forth.

I have not calculated that but I have friends living in Thailand and they are living there for a heck of a lot less than I am spending in Buenos Aires. My contract ends on my property later this year and the owner already told me they are doubling the rent. I don't have the energy to deal with another long-term rental as I have had issue after issue. My healthcare policy has skyrocketed in price over the last year.

Inflation might slow down but it might not. No matter how you slice it, I don't find Buenos Aires to be good value anymore. I feel like it is time to try something new. Many of my friends in BA have moved out or planning to soon so that does not help.

I have not calculated that but I have friends living in Thailand and they are living there for a heck of a lot less than I am spending in Buenos Aires. My contract ends on my property later this year and the owner already told me they are doubling the rent. I don't have the energy to deal with another long-term rental as I have had issue after issue. My healthcare policy has skyrocketed in price over the last year.

Inflation might slow down but it might not. No matter how you slice it, I don't find Buenos Aires to be good value anymore. I feel like it is time to try something new. Many of my friends in BA have moved out or planning to soon so that does not help.
At least cost of living is much lower in Southwest Asia. I am thinking of moving back to NYC to help with my folks who are not in the best of health but it is shocking what the COL is in the States now.

Back