Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Is the Expat party in Buenos Aires coming to an end?

Okay, so here's the deal – Massa and Milei, they're like two different speeds, you know? I think Massa would've made some changes, like Milei, but just not as fast. Like, he wouldn't be dropping a 40% bomb on health insurance in one month. That's just not his style.

Now, about Milei, I don't see him going all out against the elite crew. Why? 'Cause he, his buddies, and his JxC squad, they're all part of that same high-flyin' group. It's like when Trump talks about "The Deep State," but then pals around with them in his cabinet or lets them crash at his hotels. Plus, here's the kicker – LLA/JxC/UP, they're all on the same page: hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil. The rich stay rich while the regular folks foot the bill for any adjustments. It's like the same old song and dance, just with different players.
Conducting business in Argentina has persistently adhered to a longstanding paradigm. Unless Milei demonstrates a substantial shift in the prevailing business milieu, the prospect of attracting foreign investment remains uncertain.

Conducting business in Argentina has persistently adhered to a longstanding paradigm. Unless Milei demonstrates a substantial shift in the prevailing business milieu, the prospect of attracting foreign investment remains uncertain.
Who cares what Milei puts on the show; investors aren't fools. They know the game can change in a blink of an eye, regardless of any progress. They are all about that sweet moolah, living life on the edge with all that global cash flow. Argentina shouldn't be banking on "maybe" investors; they need to hustle for the strategic ones. The world wants stuff from Argentina, and Milei's got to play the cards of lithium, land, oil, gas, and whatever else is in the deck. Want lithium? Build a battery factory on our turf. Want land? Better set up a processing plant. And, of course, contracts need to be signed - no free rides here!

I'm just tossing ideas around; not like I'm a qualified expert or getting paid to figure this out. But that's how the big leagues play it with their resources.

Milei's real deal? Bringing order to the chaos. I haven't heard much about how he plans to fill the tax-shaped hole in the budget. A serious country enforces its laws, but in Argentina, they often feel more like friendly suggestions. My shopping usually ends without a receipt, and even the ones I get, I doubt they end up in AFIP. That's part of the deficit. And don't get me started on the black job market – just enforce the rules you already have, is that too much to ask? From traffic to business, it's like people treat the rules as optional. Instead of just tightening the belt on spending, grab what's rightfully yours.

Just had a chat yesterday about foreigners freeloading on healthcare. Fair enough, but what about Argentinians who ignore the law and end up using it because they don't buckle up or wear helmets? Laws are there for a reason, but when everyone's playing fast and loose, you've lost control – everywhere.

Imagine if Massa had won the election! What do you reckon would've gone down? Would inflation be chill, the same, or totally off the charts? And hey, if Milei starts taking on system now, is anyone gonna have his back, or are they gonna kick him out of office? I'm just throwing these questions out there—I don't have the answers. What's your take?
Oh, Massa (or Christina, the master of disguise), only whipped out the devaluation card when the election party was over. And getting them to print a 2k peso bill? It was like coaxing a cat into a bathtub – a reluctant, soggy endeavor. Don't kid yourself into thinking anything would've taken a U-turn. The money printer would have been churning out bills faster than a squirrel on an espresso bender!

Who cares what Milei puts on the show; investors aren't fools. They know the game can change in a blink of an eye, regardless of any progress. They are all about that sweet moolah, living life on the edge with all that global cash flow. Argentina shouldn't be banking on "maybe" investors; they need to hustle for the strategic ones. The world wants stuff from Argentina, and Milei's got to play the cards of lithium, land, oil, gas, and whatever else is in the deck. Want lithium? Build a battery factory on our turf. Want land? Better set up a processing plant. And, of course, contracts need to be signed - no free rides here!

I'm just tossing ideas around; not like I'm a qualified expert or getting paid to figure this out. But that's how the big leagues play it with their resources.

Milei's real deal? Bringing order to the chaos. I haven't heard much about how he plans to fill the tax-shaped hole in the budget. A serious country enforces its laws, but in Argentina, they often feel more like friendly suggestions. My shopping usually ends without a receipt, and even the ones I get, I doubt they end up in AFIP. That's part of the deficit. And don't get me started on the black job market – just enforce the rules you already have, is that too much to ask? From traffic to business, it's like people treat the rules as optional. Instead of just tightening the belt on spending, grab what's rightfully yours.

Just had a chat yesterday about foreigners freeloading on healthcare. Fair enough, but what about Argentinians who ignore the law and end up using it because they don't buckle up or wear helmets? Laws are there for a reason, but when everyone's playing fast and loose, you've lost control – everywhere.
You're spot-on, and guess what? I'm on the same wavelength. It's time for a culture makeover, like a reality show for national vibes. Let's shrink corruption down to a size where we can manage it, maybe even fit it into a tiny purse or something.

I'm genuinely worried about the cost of living in Argentina right now. In my opinion, it's never been this expensive ever! I've been keeping tabs on prices since 2002, and the numbers for food in dollars are just off the charts. It's kind of scary – in just six months, they might double. We're on the road to becoming like Angola, the priciest country on the planet where 80% of people are living in poverty, but there's this elite class swimming in wealth.

I can still remember when you could get 2 kg of ice cream for less than 950 pesos or $6 dollars. Now, in good heladerias like Rapanui, it's almost $20 USD. Going out for a steak at a parilla is turning into a luxury, with average prices around 16,000 pesos, which is $16 USD Back in 2003, that same steak was a maximum of $4 USD It's making long-term expats like me wonder what the heck to do now – the cost of living is just getting too much to handle!!!

I'm genuinely worried about the cost of living in Argentina right now. In my opinion, it's never been this expensive ever! I've been keeping tabs on prices since 2002, and the numbers for food in dollars are just off the charts. It's kind of scary – in just six months, they might double. We're on the road to becoming like Angola, the priciest country on the planet where 80% of people are living in poverty, but there's this elite class swimming in wealth.

I can still remember when you could get 2 kg of ice cream for less than 950 pesos or $6 dollars. Now, in good heladerias like Rapanui, it's almost $20 USD. Going out for a steak at a parilla is turning into a luxury, with average prices around 16,000 pesos, which is $16 USD Back in 2003, that same steak was a maximum of $4 USD It's making long-term expats like me wonder what the heck to do now – the cost of living is just getting too much to handle!!!
I'm getting really concerned about the rising prices. I just signed the escritura on my new apartment 10 days ago and had to grab some appliances this week. It's a bit nerve-wracking. I ended up getting the absolute minimum in used stuff for now. The thing is, with this new Milei thingy with the DNU saying goods for personal use are duty-free, I'm thinking of driving to Paraguay and snagging all the good stuff from my house there.

I did splurge on a new air conditioner for $650 bucks. Right after Christmas, prices dropped a bit, but now they're back up. The cheapest air conditioners I can find are all over $910 bucks.

I guess it'll all work out eventually. Prices get all crazy when you shake up the market. I can almost picture folks who used to smuggle soy across the river to Paraguay now getting into the air conditioner smuggling business the other way around. It's a wild ride!

Today's lessons from an import/export guru.

Let me break it down: when you import or export stuff in Argentina, there's this rule that the money has to go through the local banks at the official exchange rate. This makes things way more expensive because your foreign currency gets converted into pesos at a rate that's not so favorable.

Now, there's been a recent announcement that anyone can import anything more freely, which could affect prices. Before, imported items like laptops and phones had extra taxes on top of the already high exchange rate, which is why you didn't see many foreign brands here.

The hope is that with new changes to how exchange rates work and fewer taxes, we might see more reasonable prices. If you've ever been to places like Cariló or Pinamar, you might have noticed street vendors selling beach dresses at crazy high prices. Even local brands can be as expensive as American ones.

While there's a chance prices might not drop, if people start making more money, it could still become more affordable. But don't expect this to happen right away. It's a bit like looking back – tennis lessons used to cost $30, but now they're down to $7. The central bank tried to keep the peso equal to the dollar in the past, but that plan didn't work out. There's this guy, Milei, who wants to shake things up by making the dollar the official currency, so there's less interference from the central bank.

Today's lessons from an import/export guru.

Let me break it down: when you import or export stuff in Argentina, there's this rule that the money has to go through the local banks at the official exchange rate. This makes things way more expensive because your foreign currency gets converted into pesos at a rate that's not so favorable.

Now, there's been a recent announcement that anyone can import anything more freely, which could affect prices. Before, imported items like laptops and phones had extra taxes on top of the already high exchange rate, which is why you didn't see many foreign brands here.

The hope is that with new changes to how exchange rates work and fewer taxes, we might see more reasonable prices. If you've ever been to places like Cariló or Pinamar, you might have noticed street vendors selling beach dresses at crazy high prices. Even local brands can be as expensive as American ones.

While there's a chance prices might not drop, if people start making more money, it could still become more affordable. But don't expect this to happen right away. It's a bit like looking back – tennis lessons used to cost $30, but now they're down to $7. The central bank tried to keep the peso equal to the dollar in the past, but that plan didn't work out. There's this guy, Milei, who wants to shake things up by making the dollar the official currency, so there's less interference from the central bank.
Oh, absolutely! With all these incentives and Ciudad del Este just a hop away, who in their right mind would cough up those wallet-draining prices in BsAs? Prices are totally going to do the limbo – how low can you go. Prices I would think have to come back down with these DNU's from Milei. Smart.

@import export,

Oh, since you're the bigwig in the business, you probably spot trends faster than my grandma spots a sale at the mall! I'm just here, waiting to catch on when it's the hot topic for everyone. I'm crossing my fingers that this trend is like a loyal puppy – it follows through!

In the meantime, I'm thinking the smart move is to hold off on any shopping spree. You know, just chill and wait it out. Most folks don't have a choice anyway. It's like the shopping gods are saying, "Hold your horses, pal!"

I guess the old adage is true. The wise get wealthy while the others bitch and moan about it.

This makes my blood boil! So many in Argentina that are getting richer while the poor get poorer. People like Milei with his 5 dogs laughing at all the poor. He treats his dogs better than he treats citizens of Argentina!
Oh, really?

So, in this free-market circus, you got the whiners moaning about sky-high prices. But then, you've got the savvy folks who see dollar signs in those high numbers – they're making, importing, selling, brokering, or doing some economic acrobatics to cash in. And guess what? All that fancy footwork has a magical side effect: prices taking a nosedive.

Whoever cracks the code of solving other people's problems or sprinkles a bit more joy and happiness in their lives? Well, they're basically unlocking the vault to richness.

Ta-da! There you have it – one of life's big secrets spilled right in front of you. No need to thank me, just doing the stand-up economic wisdom routine!

I don't think anyone is debating that inflation would have been a fact of life if Milei lost. Truth is no one knows how bad things would be and the IMF was losing patience and Argentina is broke. Things weren't going to end up well no matter what. It's just a question of how bad does it get. OSDE, Swiss Medical, Hospital Italiano and all the other private plans won't be making more of everyone just cuts and cancels their coverage and goes to public system. It's going to backfire.

I'm not suggesting Massa would've busted out the same moves as Milei on the political dance floor, but let's be real – the guy's more into self-preservation than sticking to any hardcore ideology. You don't need an Economics degree to see that things were, and still are, a hot mess needing a serious makeover. Now, he might not have let health insurance prices skyrocket by 40% in a month, but you bet your bottom peso that a December devaluation, some MEP/CCL magic, cozying up to the IMF, and maybe a few business-friendly gestures were all part of the game plan.

So, when faced with the choice between Alberto's sequel with a dash of tweaks and a wild ride of drastic change, most Argentines went, "Why not? Let's roll the dice and see where this crazy train takes us."

Full disclosure – I didn't root for Massa, don't have a soft spot for the guy, and I'm still on the fence about whether he or Milei would be the better pick right now. But one thing's for sure – the old playbook was getting dusty. Even the Campora crew, who seemed stuck in a time warp, couldn't deny it. I bet even Cristina saw the writing on the wall, which is why she threw her weight behind Massa instead of someone like Grabois, who's practically her ideological shadow. It's like they knew the status quo wasn't cutting it anymore.

Pulling off radical makeovers of the economy and society is like trying to redecorate your grandma's house with neon lights – it needs a bold hand, a bit of bossiness, and a whole lot of time. You're talking military dictatorship, single-party rule, or maybe even a touch of technocracy. And let's be real, liberal democracies are like those delicate soufflés – they don't handle shocks and wild changes too well.

This isn't just a Chilean telenovela; it's a global blockbuster. Look at other places, not just Chile. Leaders like Lenin, Atatürk, Mao, Lee Kuan Yew in Singapore, "The Boss" (France-Albert René) in The Seychelles, or Gaddafi in Libya – they all went full throttle on the change-mobile. But here's the kicker: these dudes had the kind of authority and time Milei's calendar doesn't have space for. I mean, I still don't think Milei would be winning any success medals even if he had a dictator's crown or five decades to play with. But hey, it sure would make his wild dreams of transforming Argentina a tad less wild and a bit more doable.

Here are other nations that had to endure similar shotgun changes to the economy.

Let's talk about how New Zealand pulled a total '80s makeover without any dictator fashion tips. The UK, too, had its own style overhaul, and Sweden hit the runway for a '90s rebrand – all of this without needing a heavy-handed fashion police. Germany, post-war and post-dictatorship drama, went from zero to "miracle economy" real quick.

And then there's the post-Soviet squad – Estonia, Lithuania, Latvia – strutting their stuff in the '90s. Poland? Oh, they did a twirl too, but they kinda relied on some executive magic to jazz up their routine (think Argentina's political approach but with a bit more pizzazz).

So, my point is, it's not always the end-of-the-world Netflix drama. There are more success stories from these makeovers than you'd find in a Hollywood rom-com. Who said turning heads and making changes can't be a fabulous affair?

Oh, really?

So, in this free-market circus, you got the whiners moaning about sky-high prices. But then, you've got the savvy folks who see dollar signs in those high numbers – they're making, importing, selling, brokering, or doing some economic acrobatics to cash in. And guess what? All that fancy footwork has a magical side effect: prices taking a nosedive.

Whoever cracks the code of solving other people's problems or sprinkles a bit more joy and happiness in their lives? Well, they're basically unlocking the vault to richness.

Ta-da! There you have it – one of life's big secrets spilled right in front of you. No need to thank me, just doing the stand-up economic wisdom routine!
What horseshit. What a visionally impaired, idealistic load of crap!

So, the central banks hitting the print button like it's a game of Whack-A-Mole? Yeah, that's basically a recipe for "inflation party, everyone's invited." I vividly remember prices from the ancient era of 2011 (my first rodeo here), but hey, let's not forget we're on a discount spree compared to the U.S. aisle.

Now, for us expats, we're probably raking in more dough than a decade ago. But here's the kicker – there's no straightforward answer, and the crystal ball is acting like it's on vacation. I'm not popping champagne for things getting better any time soon. Cheers to uncertainty, my friend!

Oh, the boomers in this forum are like wizards from a parallel universe of outdated memes and vintage wisdom. It's like they've mastered the art of living in a time capsule, where reality has its own special vintage flavor. Grab your popcorn, folks, because we're in for a rollercoaster ride through the groovy wisdom of the ages!

Oh, the boomers in this forum are like wizards from a parallel universe of outdated memes and vintage wisdom. It's like they've mastered the art of living in a time capsule, where reality has its own special vintage flavor. Grab your popcorn, folks, because we're in for a rollercoaster ride through the groovy wisdom of the ages!
Ah, let's take a stroll down the 3.5-billion-year memory lane of life processes and ponder the mystical moment your generation supposedly hit the cosmic jackpot, distinct from all life that came before. Spoiler alert: no cosmic confetti fell, madame/sir.

What sets us apart isn't some revolutionary leap in the evolutionary dance – it's bitterness, my dear. Not proximity to reality.

Behold, the space-time coordinates! Right here, right now. Brace yourself because many of those future big shots, currently rocking the 14-35 age range, will likely gaze back and declare, "Yep, it all started in this cosmic speck of existence when Javier Milei kicked ass and shook things up." Time to cue the epic soundtrack, folks!

Ah, let's take a stroll down the 3.5-billion-year memory lane of life processes and ponder the mystical moment your generation supposedly hit the cosmic jackpot, distinct from all life that came before. Spoiler alert: no cosmic confetti fell, madame/sir.

What sets us apart isn't some revolutionary leap in the evolutionary dance – it's bitterness, my dear. Not proximity to reality.

Behold, the space-time coordinates! Right here, right now. Brace yourself because many of those future big shots, currently rocking the 14-35 age range, will likely gaze back and declare, "Yep, it all started in this cosmic speck of existence when Javier Milei kicked ass and shook things up." Time to cue the epic soundtrack, folks!
Argentina is like the fresh plot twist in the novel of opportunities, and the cash registers haven't even warmed up yet. Look at El Salvador – it went from meh to marvelous in the blink of an eye, and let's be honest, El Salvador wasn't exactly the poster child for allure. I can't help but draw parallels; both these nations had their fair share of lousy leadership making life a "how do I even make a living" puzzle, and then bam – liberation happened.

In the grand anthology of regrets, where hindsight feels like the ultimate punchline, it's oddly satisfying to finally land in the sweet spot of being in the right place at the right time. Cheers to seizing the moment and not letting it slip through the fingers like a poorly executed magic trick!

@Avocado thank you! You are pure comedy! My doctor told me I needed to laugh more in the new year and I'm starting 2024 off right with your joke of posts.

Back