Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Easy to understand. If you look at what they were paying pre-election and look at what they are paying now.

I understand from friends who work there that OSDE is letting people go.
Exactly correct. And prices keep going up across all the prepagos. I am unsure what the tipping point is. I would have to believe they can't keep going up like this. I am hearing from people that are cancelling and I would have to believe more and more will do that. So these companies will have to terminate some employees and I worry about a vicious circle. One of my novia's friends claimed her healthcare suddenly went up 65% in one month. I am not sure if she didn't have the previous months increase. But she was arguing with the agent as she thought there is no way this could be right. She was crying to my novia how can this be.

Look at the subte and you will see many locals jumping the turnstiles vs. paying. They do not want to break the law. Many simply do not have the funds to pay it and they depend on it to go to work. I am not trying to argue if these % increases are justifiable or not. I know they were too low for years. But the end result at the end of the day if people can't afford to take public transport to go to work and back home. I don't think this will go without issues. Seems like common sense to me.

Easy to understand. If you look at what they were paying pre-election and look at what they are paying now.

I understand from friends who work there that OSDE is letting people go.
It is criminal that the government is allowing these percentage increases month after month. There is a matter if prices were too low or not. Maybe they were. But allowing these skyrocketing increases overnight is not the solution either.

I have been paying healthcare for my friend for the past few years and it has never been like it is now. Prices keep spiraling upwards. A good OSDE plan now for two adults is quite expensive. I was paying for my friend and her mother and it was always affordable but prices now approaching 789,000 pesos for this month. I hated to do it but I am asking her to downgrade to a cheaper plan. The top tier plans with OSDE are out of hand. She got a notice it is going up again next month.

Does anyone think prepago companies are doing this on purpose to get people to drop their policies? This kind of inflation does not make sense to me. It is one thing to raise subway tickets 300% when they are very cheap but at these price levels it seems crazy to me that they except people not to cancel.

My friend is nervous making any downgrades as she said maybe later it will be difficult to sign up. I don't pretend to understand this or how it will turn out.

I have been paying healthcare for my friend for the past few years and it has never been like it is now. Prices keep spiraling upwards. A good OSDE plan now for two adults is quite expensive. I was paying for my friend and her mother and it was always affordable but prices now approaching 789,000 pesos for this month. I hated to do it but I am asking her to downgrade to a cheaper plan. The top tier plans with OSDE are out of hand. She got a notice it is going up again next month.

Does anyone think prepago companies are doing this on purpose to get people to drop their policies? This kind of inflation does not make sense to me. It is one thing to raise subway tickets 300% when they are very cheap but at these price levels it seems crazy to me that they except people not to cancel.

My friend is nervous making any downgrades as she said maybe later it will be difficult to sign up. I don't pretend to understand this or how it will turn out.
All these private health plans are starting to lay off employees. We have friends that work for several different prepagos and they starting saying that they are giving notice to some employees they are getting rid of them. It is about to get chaotic. Milei is allowing companies to do whatever they want and charge whatever they want.

My guess is private prepagos will keep raising prices, then they will terminate employees and use these examples of people canceling their policies to save money.

I have been talking for a long time about the crazy inflation across many categories and now all of you are seeing what I am talking about. Expats and foreigners have been bragging for years how cheap the healthcare plans there are. I don't see them bragging anymore about costs.

I have been talking for a long time about the crazy inflation across many categories and now all of you are seeing what I am talking about. Expats and foreigners have been bragging for years how cheap the healthcare plans there are. I don't see them bragging anymore about costs.
Yes Larry you correct. It getting very expensive. I read many expat complain for the cost of living. They have it very easy compared to the local people.

Look at the subte and you will see many locals jumping the turnstiles vs. paying. They do not want to break the law. Many simply do not have the funds to pay it and they depend on it to go to work. I am not trying to argue if these % increases are justifiable or not. I know they were too low for years. But the end result at the end of the day if people can't afford to take public transport to go to work and back home.
wtf is this commie crap? you saw a TikTok of flequillo kids being paid to be 'influencers' for the posing Peronist party, and you think tons of people are jumping the Subte? see the political motives of these "News" posts?

there was a TikTok campaign that led this. it was an organized effort, filmed to look spontaneous. don't buy-in to the communist propaganda.

But allowing these skyrocketing increases overnight is not the solution either.
and allowing 60% poverty and 1% daily inflation isn't the solution, but you sure as hell shut-up when all that was going on, like a typical tribal cultists

Milei is allowing companies to do whatever they want and charge whatever they want.
and if so, in the vacuum, an Elon-Musk-type will come offer a better health insurance plan, for cheaper. you can't analyze all of this in a vacuum without the other side of the de-regulation argument. you just look dumb.

Expats and foreigners have been bragging for years how cheap the healthcare plans there are. I don't see them bragging anymore about costs.
my cost for insurance is $0, and you're still an ideologically-possessed moron when it comes to your 'hot takes on Argentina'

I read many expat complain for the cost of living
other than your buddies/other accounts like CheVos, Flamingo, and Larry, who exactly is complaining about the cost of living? as usual, 100% Peronist brainwashed propaganda, and nothing of substance. please leave our Expat forum alone and go do something productive.

and if so, in the vacuum, an Elon-Musk-type will come offer a better health insurance plan, for cheaper. you can't analyze all of this in a vacuum without the other side of the de-regulation argument. you just look dumb.
You think Elon Musk will come to Argentina and offer healthcare prepagos??? Ha!!!! You really really do not understand Argentina. I laugh at expat people that come to my country for 3 months and proclaim they are expert on Argentina. Open your eyes. No one will come and have competition. They all go up. You do not understand Argentina and you talk about communism and other nonsense.

You think people jumping subte turnstile only because of tik tok? They jump because they can't pay. You funny guy.

You think Elon Musk will come to Argentina and offer healthcare prepagos??? Ha!!!! You really really do not understand Argentina. I laugh at expat people that come to my country for 3 months and proclaim they are expert on Argentina. Open your eyes. No one will come and have competition. They all go up. You do not understand Argentina and you talk about communism and other nonsense.

You think people jumping subte turnstile only because of tik tok? They jump because they can't pay. You funny guy.
Yes @Avocado I also love these expats that come to Argentina for a few months and are self-professed experts on Argentina and how to fix it. It is also hilarious that he is the only one that is claiming there has been no price inflation since last year. Prices have skyrocketed and he is trying to claim prices are the same. That's funny!

it was an example. i didn't say Elon Musk is opening up an Argentine insurance company

i gave prices and did a full analysis, recording when prices went up/down/same in the past 2.5 months. what have you done, Flamingo? it's easy to be a negative Commie; much harder to offer something positive and useful to the world. when was the last time you did something that benfitted your family and country?

here is a scan of Avocado and Flamingo brains (attached).

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 2
it was an example. i didn't say Elon Musk is opening up an Argentine insurance company

i gave prices and did a full analysis, recording when prices went up/down/same in the past 2.5 months. what have you done, Flamingo? it's easy to be a negative Commie; much harder to offer something positive and useful to the world. when was the last time you did something that benfitted your family and country?

here is a scan of Avocado and Flamingo brains (attached).
I don't understand Argentina and have yet to make my first trip. I am coming end of April as I cancelled due to too many mosquitos. My close friend is there now and she has also mentioned prices are more expensive since she arrived a few months ago. I am reading this universally across many websites. @StatusNomadicus is there anything you are doing that would be different vs. all the other posters? Your posts are the only one that claim prices haven't gone up.

I am just trying to honestly understand this. My friend said things are whacky in Buenos Aires and generally poor customer service. I don't think people are purposely trying to fight with you. My friend said locals are just frustrated at spiraling cost of living.

I read this article today and it confirms increased price at supermarket. I don't plan to cook at all but I would assume if food costs keep going up restaurant prices will match. My biggest fear before was stepping in dog poop and now it is being affordable by the time I get there.

Ouch. The healthcare premiums keep going up. I have OSDE plan for my employees and it has gone up 125% just since December 2023. This is painful.
You have President Milei for blame for this. He allow all the company to do whatever they want. This is wrong. This will cause more problems.

It looks like April is going to go up about 15% across most healthcare plans too. No telling when this is going to stop but people are hurting with these huge increases in a quick amount of time.

Back