Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Betsy Ross

Does anyone know how much their monthly medical healthcare insurance premiums are going to get increased? I got a call saying it would get increased but the call got disconnected and I can't get anyone on the phone now. Does anyone know if it's all the medical providers that are going up? I have OSDE 410.

Does anyone know how much their monthly medical healthcare insurance premiums are going to get increased? I got a call saying it would get increased but the call got disconnected and I can't get anyone on the phone now. Does anyone know if it's all the medical providers that are going up? I have OSDE 410.
Yes, I heard on the radio today they are ALL going to go up. This is all Milei's fault as you know. I'm not sure if the healthcare industry as well is going to get deregulated. Much is up in the air on what and when on timing.

Yes, I was in the British Hospital today asking about trying to find some work and they told me that healthcare coverage is going to go up probably 50% in the next few months. So it looks like it's going to go up even more after the New Year.

I guess I'm leaving Buenos Aires at a good time. Everything is about ready to explode in prices.

Yep. Like all of you I got news today that my coverage at Swiss Medical is rising 40.8% in January. It's going to be painful but we figured once Milei took over all of these things were necessary. We all have to do our small part and us expats can't complain as we have US DOLLARS. I'm not sure what the blue dollar will do in January but in real terms our cost is still the same as a few years ago.

Thank God I own my apartment here in Buenos Aires or I'd be screwed! My local friends that earn pesos are all crying today. Many are telling me they need to drop their private health insurance and switch to the PAMI plan:

Everything is about ready to explode in prices
nahhhh, this place has been hamstrung by regulations; i'm putting my money that more more quality goods and services will be available here at lower prices

more competition in healthcare means a company will come in and appeal to all you guys getting quoted +40%, causing more competition, so more quality service and lower prices for most.

nahhhh, this place has been hamstrung by regulations; i'm putting my money that more more quality goods and services will be available here at lower prices

more competition in healthcare means a company will come in and appeal to all you guys getting quoted +40%, causing more competition, so more quality service and lower prices for most.
Sorry kid that is not how it works in Argentina. You clearly don't understand this country. No one is going to come in and offer lower prices. Read everyone is saying that ALL private healthcare companies are raising prices 40%.

I just got an email from my provider, Medicus and they said it's going up 44%. OUCHIE. My daughter said her plan at Galeno went up 41%. So it's happening everywhere.
Ok so I guess it's everyone. My daughter called OSDE today and they said there will be an announcement next week on it so in a few days but the girl on the phone said it was probably going up too. She said all the staff is all panicking as no one can afford to pay what they are paying now.

My daughter said that her health premiums have consistently gone up almost every month during the year. She said about 9.5% a month on average. It's fair to say all of this was happening before Milei got elected. This crazy inflation can't be blamed on Milei's administration. We like to blame someone but this inflation has been going up all year.

My daughter is very worried. She normally gets regular monthly increases but she said she doesn't think she can afford for it to go up 40% if it does as it has been going up all year already. She may finally have to drop private coverage which she never thought was thinkable.

Can you all kind people give me an idea what healthcare premiums are like in Buenos Aires? Do we need to have permanent residency there to get coverage? I guess it's called having your DNI?
When I checked most plans you had to have a DNI. It seems like prices depend on your age and prior medical conditions you might have. Although I'm not sure how they would know as I doubt they can get your medical records from a different country.

I asked my novia there and she said that if you're young and healthy it's about $80 USD per month and she is in her late 20's. And her parents pay about $480 USD after this latest increase.

When I checked most plans you had to have a DNI. It seems like prices depend on your age and prior medical conditions you might have. Although I'm not sure how they would know as I doubt they can get your medical records from a different country.

I asked my novia there and she said that if you're young and healthy it's about $80 USD per month and she is in her late 20's. And her parents pay about $480 USD after this latest increase.
This is going to be painful for the elderly. Many people I know will need to cancel their medical plans now. These rates are expensive now. Especially for American senior citizens living in Argentina. I believe in the USA they get medical coverage free with Medicare. if not free than very low cost.

There is NOTHING here with the private insurance plans for $480 US dollars if you're over 65 and don't have a DNI. I'm not sure if you're younger. My friend's father has been looking and he can't find anything.

I know on many plans you must have a DNI. The Hospital Italiano private plan isn't available without having a permanent residency. After the increase now my mother that is 70 years old and that has been paying on it for a long time is still only paying $180 US per month. That is still a relative bargain in US dollar terms. I believe that if she signed up today for a new plan it would be much higher. I think there were laws that limited how much they could raise the prices but honestly with Milei all bets might be off and I'll see how this price goes up.

Back