Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Politics Exploring Local Artisanal Shopping in Buenos Aires

Tshea

I'm heading to Buenos Aires for 3 days for work and I'd love to find places to buy traditional Argentine crafts that aren't just tourist traps. Any helpful tips?

I think the best place to buy handicrafts is the Puerto de Frutos in Tigre, where you will find a great variety of products, decoration and even foodstuffs such as handmade jams, cold cuts and cheeses.

I love adding unique kitchen finds from each country I visit to my collection. Also, I'm on the hunt for quality gifts that capture the essence of Argentina. Any recommendations?

The artisan market at Plaza Francia is quite touristy, but it does boast some truly beautiful items. If you're in town over the weekend, I highly suggest a visit. While locals might not frequent it often, it's worth noting that you can find many high-quality pieces there. Sadly, quality goods are often out of reach for the average Argentine. 🥲

The best place to buy good and original handicrafts of all kinds is the San Telmo fair in Defensa street on Saturdays and Mondays, but it is a very touristy place.

Back