Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Be careful with taxi cabs with a rigged meter that runs quicker than usual

Palermo

Be careful everyone. It seems like the rigged taxi meters are making their way back into Buenos Aires. I haven't dealt with this problem in a while but I have read about more tourists this is happening to and it just happened to me. I take the same route over and over so I know how much it costs. Today when going from Recoleta to Palermo I noticed the meter was running faster than usual. About double the normal tariff. I told the taxi I take the route the same a few times a week and I just demanded to get out. I usually just use Uber but there was a taxi just dropping someone off at the corner but it is typically best to use Uber or Cabify.

This happened more several years ago but I haven't run into it but hearing more about it so beware.

Yes, every time the economy gets really bad they seem to make their way back into society. Luckily there aren't too many of them. Look at the taxis and the ones that do this usually don't have their required license with their photo on the back of the driver's side seat. This should always be there for licensed taxi drivers. I don't use taxis too much now. But I haven't ran into this scam for a few years now.

I have been taking cabs rather often lately. So far so good but thanks for the heads up, I will keep an eye on the meter and avoid taking the cabs that have the front passenger seat moved all the way towards the dashboard blocking the view of the meter.

Yes, every time the economy gets really bad they seem to make their way back into society. Luckily there aren't too many of them. Look at the taxis and the ones that do this usually don't have their required license with their photo on the back of the driver's side seat. This should always be there for licensed taxi drivers. I don't use taxis too much now. But I haven't ran into this scam for a few years now.
I take taxis all the time and almost never had any problems. The one time I did notice the rate was going up faster you are right @Vince there was no required license. All the taxis have a photo of the driver along with some QR code. The one that didn't had it missing. I accused him of it being a fake meter and he claimed it wasn't and prices went up. I was a sucker and paid it but if things feel off just ask if there is a problem with the meter. But I would make sure you know the route and approximate price. Sometimes they also will take a longer route.

I have been taking cabs rather often lately. So far so good but thanks for the heads up, I will keep an eye on the meter and avoid taking the cabs that have the front passenger seat moved all the way towards the dashboard blocking the view of the meter.
Exactly. I am in taxis and Ubers all the time. Sometimes on busy work days with so many meetings I am in as many as 10 taxis/Ubers per day. It's very rare that I will get a fast meter but they do exist. I posted about this before. Typically as mentioned, the taxi won't have the license/photo around the back of the seat as is required. More times than not now I prefer Uber as the prices are fixed and I use scheduled time pick up quite a bit now.

I take taxis all the time and almost never had any problems. The one time I did notice the rate was going up faster you are right @Vince there was no required license. All the taxis have a photo of the driver along with some QR code. The one that didn't had it missing. I accused him of it being a fake meter and he claimed it wasn't and prices went up. I was a sucker and paid it but if things feel off just ask if there is a problem with the meter. But I would make sure you know the route and approximate price. Sometimes they also will take a longer route.
Prices did go up in February and again in March. The government announced here: https://buenosaires.gob.ar/infraestructura/movilidad/taxis/tarifas

Prices did go up in February and again in March. The government announced here: https://buenosaires.gob.ar/infraestructura/movilidad/taxis/tarifas
Yes this trend will probably continue with everything under the sun increasing in prices. I am trying to walk more now. All these increases are starting to hit me. My healthcare has gone up 250% within a few months. Painful.

I haven't taken Uber in a while. How do Uber prices compare to taxi prices now?

I stopped taking taxis a while back. It seems like every time I am in one the rate seems fast but maybe it is because I am used to taking Ubers. Uber prices don't seem to fluctuate too much for me. Plus it seems like SO many drivers now compared to last year. I think with the bad economy more people are driving.

I haven't taken Uber in a while. How do Uber prices compare to taxi prices now?
Taxis cost more than Uber. At least this is in my experience. Uber I routinely take from Recoleta over to Soho and it is usually 3,000 pesos or less. Even with the increases in taxi I see the same price. I just did this and you can see even with inflation Ubers are inexpensive.

IMG_2764.jpg

I stopped taking taxis a while back. It seems like every time I am in one the rate seems fast but maybe it is because I am used to taking Ubers. Uber prices don't seem to fluctuate too much for me. Plus it seems like SO many drivers now compared to last year. I think with the bad economy more people are driving.

Taxis cost more than Uber. At least this is in my experience. Uber I routinely take from Recoleta over to Soho and it is usually 3,000 pesos or less. Even with the increases in taxi I see the same price.
Oh, things have changed in the past couple of months then. It used to be the other way around in my experience.

I stopped taking Uber three months ago, got tired of getting dirty sh*t boxes. Back then, the same trip would cost me 4K taking Uber and 1.5K taking a cab so I switched for good, I also take bondis, which are fine at mid morning.
Yes, you are correct about that. Many Ubers are in bad shape. I had to get out of one yesterday as there was strong gasoline smell inside the car. I thought the car would blow up. I will have to try taxis again. More times than not I walk now.

Taxis cost more than Uber. At least this is in my experience. Uber I routinely take from Recoleta over to Soho and it is usually 3,000 pesos or less. Even with the increases in taxi I see the same price. I just did this and you can see even with inflation Ubers are inexpensive.

View attachment 4163
I usually just order a comfort and it's about 500 pesos more for a nicer car. None of the Comfort Ubers I order are shitboxes. I got a taxi with a rigged meter the other day. I did a similar distance as this ride from Soho to Recoleta near Las Heras and the taxi driver tried to tell me it was 6,000 pesos! Double of what I pay on Uber. I just hate to hassle with them and stick with Ubers unless the wait time is too long.

I usually just order a comfort and it's about 500 pesos more for a nicer car. None of the Comfort Ubers I order are shitboxes. I got a taxi with a rigged meter the other day. I did a similar distance as this ride from Soho to Recoleta near Las Heras and the taxi driver tried to tell me it was 6,000 pesos! Double of what I pay on Uber. I just hate to hassle with them and stick with Ubers unless the wait time is too long.
Last week, I paid 4,000 pesos to go from Thames 1800 to Ayacucho near Las Heras, that's close to 5 km. With Uber we've always ordered comfort, since it actually is the only better option available, it seems, other than the cheaper ones, and yet we've had several badly maintained Ubers in a row, that's way we decided to start taking cabbies.

Last week, I paid 4,000 pesos to go from Thames 1800 to Ayacucho near Las Heras, that's close to 5 km. With Uber we've always ordered comfort, since it actually is the only better option available, it seems, other than the cheaper ones, and yet we've had several badly maintained Ubers in a row, that's way we decided to start taking cabbies.
I do that same distance in Uber and it's usually around 3,000 pesos or 3,500 with Uber comfort. Taxis are totally safe to take. The rigged taxi meter is a rarity and does not happen often in all the years I have been living here. But they do exist. The fleet of taxis these days are newer than before. I don't think there is anything wrong with taxis but I have had good luck with Uber and like knowing ahead of time what the price will be. There aren't too many taxis now vs. before.

Buenos Aires when I first moved here in 2002 had an insane amount of taxis. I believe at one point there were something like 50,000 taxis. More than London, NYC and Paris combined. It was like the mafia before where it was extremely expensive to get a taxi license. Then over the years it's crazy cheap now but everyone is doing Uber, Cabify, DiDi, etc. and during COVID a ton of taxis just stopped and transitioned over to ride share.

I have taken more taxis than anyone I know. And they are really great for the most part. Very polite, friendly and an educated bunch. I still take taxis many times when I just need to get somewhere and if there happens to be a taxi when I'm exiting but they aren't as easy to find these days as there aren't that many of them compared to before.

It is very very rare for me to get a taxi with a fast meter but still happens once in a while. I agree some Uber cars will be in poor condition but I don't care too much as I just quickly need to get from point A to point B. As long as the car isn't going to blow up or really dirty I will not mind too much. Something nice is the ability to pay taxi with a debit card or alias. I have noticed that ability just last year in many taxis. I heard by law they were going to make taxis have the ability to pay by debit card but I don't see that in all the taxis. And for a while, none of the taxi drivers would have change so I was just rounding up to the nearest 1,000 peso but that can add up when you are taking 10 taxis/Ubers a day.

Literally the only time I've been stranded anywhere in LATAM was an Uber in Rio de Janeiro, where the shift linkage broke on the Uber I was in, between Recreio and Barra da Tijuca.

The driver ended up coasting to the nearest gas station, about 100m away, and I called for a new Uber from there, but still...

I usually just grab a taxi from in front of my apartment, here. It's usually faster, imo.

Literally the only time I've been stranded anywhere in LATAM was an Uber in Rio de Janeiro, where the shift linkage broke on the Uber I was in, between Recreio and Barra da Tijuca.

The driver ended up coasting to the nearest gas station, about 100m away, and I called for a new Uber from there, but still...

I usually just grab a taxi from in front of my apartment, here. It's usually faster, imo.
That sounds like an interesting Uber ride. I use Uber in Rio and it is quite dependable like here. Taxis here are very safe.

Back