Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Be careful of restaurant scams on tourists charging more than actual prices - Orale Juanito Restaurant in Palermo

MikeRoss

Be very very careful when paying with credit cards at some restaurants. Who knows if the owner of the restaurants are in on it but sometimes the employees are charging more. My friend, Carlos just got scammed at Orale Juanito Mexican restaurant in Palermo. His bill was for 24,100 pesos and they charged on his receipt 241,000 pesos and when he spotted it he called them out on it and they didn't want to refund it until he threatened to call the police. Always make sure to check your receipts and how much you are actually charged with your banks/credit cards as some restaurants are scamming now with the bad economy.

I have not had this issue but I am talking to some friends that were charged more lately the past week or 2. You can read about his experience on X.

Also, if you look at the Google Reviews some others sounds like they have been scammed adding on an extra 0 on the bill!

Last edited by a moderator:
You always have to check your itemized receipt carefully. On occasion I will find extra things that my family or group I am dining with did not order. Of course it can be unintentional and they will take it off the bill but you have to mention it ASAP. If you go back they won't want to refund it. I am not sure the cops could even do anything as they can try to deny it later.

This is really horrible. I hate vendors and merchants and restaurants that give the city a bad name doing these types of scams. I saw that post on X as well from a different poster that was retweeting it. I am glad your friend forced them to deal with the issue. It sounds like the restaurant has had other tourists that also had the same thing done to them.

If any tourists have issues that they can't resolve, Buenos Aires has a tourist police that are quite good and will help you resolve things. Of course there could be a mistake with some restaurants adding on something by accident. My last trip to Chori in Palermo Soho I had more charged on my credit card. I'm not sure if it was an accident or not but I happened to have alerts on my credit card that automatically tells me how much was charged and it was about `more than it should have been. I immediately went up to the girl and she apologized for the mistake and credited the difference. Always check how much they are charging.

Terrible to hear. What a good way to go out of business. With technology these days and how quickly things spread you pull scams like this and you will go out of business very quickly. Probably was a rogue employee. I can't imagine an owner of a restaurant would be this stupid.

This was one of my fears in Buenos Aires (besides stepping in dog poop everywhere). But I guess you can just dispute it with the credit card. Strange the restaurant didn't just credit it back after he called them out on it. If so, they could have chalked it up as a mistake but it seems like they thought it was a dumb tourist. They scammed the wrong guy.

I saw the Twitter negative review but it looks like the owner got it deleted on the Google Review. I read a few negative reviews after this theft but I see them removed on Google now.

I saw the Twitter negative review but it looks like the owner got it deleted on the Google Review. I read a few negative reviews after this theft but I see them removed on Google now.
Owner didn't have to do anything. Google has algorithms to detect fake reviews esp d/t spike of 1 star reviews. Not saying whether warranted or not just how it is.

Owner didn't have to do anything. Google has algorithms to detect fake reviews esp d/t spike of 1 star reviews. Not saying whether warranted or not just how it is.
Interesting. I guess it is good to root out fake reviews but the guy that got cheated seems very genuine and he posted proof as well. That review shouldn't have gotten deleted.

Hard to believe in today's day and age that a restaurant would try this and not immediately give a tourist back the overcharge ASAP. With social media things spread too quickly.

Back