Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Trip Reports My recent visit to Buenos Aires

Jason

Recently returned from a trip to Buenos Aires and Uruguay.

Upon arriving at Ezeiza Airport in Buenos Aires, the immigration process was well-organized. My luggage arrived safely, and I exchanged some currency at Banco de Nacion, conveniently located not far from Taxi Ezeiza. Despite making a reservation, I noticed that they charged more for credit card transactions compared to cash. The exchange rate worked out to be $29 Canadian for me. The process of getting a taxi was efficient, with a driver guiding me to the car without any issues.

During my stay, I chose the Carles in Retiro, which turned out to be the best hotel experience I've had. I discovered a nice restaurant nearby called Vicen. It's worth noting that locals tend to have lunch around 2 PM and dinner around 8 PM, making it less crowded if you dine earlier. Using my credit card and taking advantage of the MEP rate (late November), a meal, including a beer, cost me approximately $16. For those in the area, I highly recommend Magno, not far from the sightseeing bus stop, offering great coffee and friendly staff. I prefer budget-friendly places.

For the Buquebus transfer to Colonia, the customs process was straightforward. However, on the Buquebus transfer from Montevideo, I faced some chaos upon arrival in Buenos Aires, including slow immigration and a taxi cartel that seemed overpriced. When transferring to the airport, my hotel called a taxi, but Uber or Cabify are alternatives. The cost might be around 16,000 ARS, but a taxi cost me 20,000 ARS. Fortunately, the taxi driver, Alberto Garcia, was very friendly, even clarifying the cost mentioned by the hotel reception. I wish I had his contact information earlier. His details are: Name: Alberto Garcia, Website: http://transferforthbest.com.ar. He speaks both Spanish and English.

A note to those visiting Uruguay: be prepared for higher prices. Despite the IVA discount for foreign credit cards, my restaurant expenses were still around $36.

Uruguay also proved to be on the "pricey" side, but it was truly delightful. We spent three days in Colonia, where we stumbled upon a local-favorite restaurant called "El Refugio." We paid $16 per person for seafood entrees, excluding alcohol. A "chivito" sandwich, which was massive, cost us $9.50, and we shared it. Interestingly, the next day in La Plata, we enjoyed a tomahawk steak (800 grams, 2 pounds) for only $9.

Our taxi journey with Taxi Ezeiza amounted to $22 USD, which appears to be equivalent to $29 CAD.

Back