Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer Taxis in BA

carioca

I'm not entirely sure if it's just my perception, so I want to share my experience with taxis in Buenos Aires. In other Latin American countries, when you take a taxi, you usually ask the driver how much it will cost to reach your destination. This provides an opportunity to discuss the price a bit, but at least you know how much you have to pay at the end of the journey. The same goes for apps, as they allow you to know the estimated cost of the trip beforehand. In the case of the meter, the fare depends on the route and the time it takes. Every time I've taken a taxi in Buenos Aires, I've noticed that drivers are extremely respectful of traffic lights. It seems like they strategically aim to hit every red light. They choose routes that may be longer and take nonsensical turns. At times, I've followed the route on Google Maps and realized that they take additional turns, following trucks, for instance. Apparently, they deviate about four or five extra blocks just to increase the meter fare. Has anyone else experienced this, or is it just my impression?

Yes, taxi drivers can often be difficult to deal with. Not all of them, but a significant number. Typically, people who regularly take taxis for the same route might inform the driver about their preferred route to avoid any issues.

Fortunately, they are gradually being replaced by apps that are much more convenient, secure, and logical. As an added bonus, these apps are not associated with any mafia-like structures.

I have had ZERO issues with taxis in Buenos Aires. I have found them to be very respectful. I haven'd had this issue at all with longer routes, etc.

Ideally, you should specify the route you prefer. It's relatively common for a taxi driver to take advantage of a foreigner.

Some of my Argie friends tell the driver street by street which route they want him to take but I never bother since its literally $2 to go anywhere I need up to like $4 to go from one side of the city to another

Some of my Argie friends tell the driver street by street which route they want him to take but I never bother since its literally $2 to go anywhere I need up to like $4 to go from one side of the city to another
Exactly. It is very affordable here. I have not had issues with taxi drivers at all. Sometimes they ask if I have a preferred method but most of them are good. Or just use an Uber and they follow the fastest route provided by Uber.

you should specify the route you prefer.
WTF? how about the most-direct and quickest one? in what alternate universe does a tourist need to state this to someone providing a service?

@carioca yes there is a culture of exit-scamming people in Buenos Aires. just use Uber. you cay pay with credit card, and add a tip, and report them for bad service. with Taxis you can't give feedback or appeal.

Back