Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Argentina President Milei alters Internet rules to make way for Elon Musk’s Starlink - Buenos Aires Times

thanks for the link! super sad that for years rural argentinos could have had StarLink, but just because the commies made bad laws, it wasn't possible. it's not like the tech changed or something else; it was literally just a government-imposed block of rural internet, and now it's gone. how many other life-ruining rules have been in place for the past 70 years?

thanks for the link! super sad that for years rural argentinos could have had StarLink, but just because the commies made bad laws, it wasn't possible. it's not like the tech changed or something else; it was literally just a government-imposed block of rural internet, and now it's gone. how many other life-ruining rules have been in place for the past 70 years?
I was wondering the same thing how many other crazy laws are still left to change?

Well before you get too excited this ain't exactly cheap. It is definitely not for the masses. Although just $9 deposit to sign up which is refundable, the lowest tier price plan sounds like it costs $600 US dollars for the equipment that you have to pay up front. Then the actual plan is $120 US dollars per MONTH.

Sure that will be worth it out in the sticks where there is no internet but in the city it's pretty darn cheap. I pay $15 US dollars a month for my service.

Well before you get too excited this ain't exactly cheap. It is definitely not for the masses. Although just $9 deposit to sign up which is refundable, the lowest tier price plan sounds like it costs $600 US dollars for the equipment that you have to pay up front. Then the actual plan is $120 US dollars per MONTH.

Sure that will be worth it out in the sticks where there is no internet but in the city it's pretty darn cheap. I pay $15 US dollars a month for my service.
Like all the other DNU's all Milei helps is the people that have a lot of money already. Rich = Winner with Milei. Milei is the Rich folks President.

I have gone out hunting with my boys in some nice areas but all without any internet at all. This is a game changer for much of Argentina with no access at all. Many hunting lodges and estancias will now have blazingly fast Internet. Does anyone know the Internet speeds that Starlink will provide in Argentina? I didn't see it on their website.

Milei is actually very intelligent for engaging with the likes of Elon Musk. A great working relationship with Elon Musk only will lead to good things. Argentina has a lot of Lithium that could be useful to Tesla for their batteries of the Teslas. Maybe the next Tesla plant will be here in Argentina. Or a SpaceX testing site or staffing for Elon's many companies. Cha ching for Argentina.

MIlei = the Smart President.

Like all the other DNU's all Milei helps is the people that have a lot of money already. Rich = Winner with Milei. Milei is the Rich folks President.
Larry you have a few informative posts but you seem to be totally against Milei from the start. It's clear you're a big Massa supporter but you neglect to think about all of the issues Argentina would be having with him in power. Argentina has been on a downward spiral and trying to fix things. You are only looking negatively instead of trying to think positive too.

If you can't see how Starlink would be good for many people in Argentina, you are totally biased and looking for any excuse to look down on Milei. I don't know how anyone can try to spin this isn't anything but positive for Argentina.

Larry you have a few informative posts but you seem to be totally against Milei from the start. It's clear you're a big Massa supporter but you neglect to think about all of the issues Argentina would be having with him in power. Argentina has been on a downward spiral and trying to fix things. You are only looking negatively instead of trying to think positive too.

If you can't see how Starlink would be good for many people in Argentina, you are totally biased and looking for any excuse to look down on Milei. I don't know how anyone can try to spin this isn't anything but positive for Argentina.
Thanks for talking about all my many informative posts. I do try to be helpful. I'm against Milei because he is like the devil man. He will destroy Argentina. Yes it's true Argentina has had its challenges but we always managed to get by. Now you will see a death spiral instead of a downward spiral. I wish Milei could give me something positive to look forward to but no. Costs will go sky high for me and everyone else too.

Starlink is just another example of misplaced priorities. I don't think it's something negative. It is just PR spin to make Milei try to sound important.
Look around the world and even in the United States. NO one using Starlink. Like Twitter, Elon Musk is very stupid to pay $44 billion for a worthless company that is only worth a fraction of the price. He will run it into bankruptcy. It's funny to see him lose all his credibility and money.

In the USA, only 0.4% of the population pays for it. How many people in Argentina do you think will pay for Starlink? Almost no one. It will lose money here. Just another example of Milei that all talk but don't help the people. He talks of big ideas but they are a dud that will help no one but very rich. 99.06% of the Argentines will never hear or use of this. Maybe some rich Argentines and dumb expats. Over 90% of all Argentines live in bigger cities where Internet is very fast and they will not need Starlink. Open your eyes people.

I have gone out hunting with my boys in some nice areas but all without any internet at all. This is a game changer for much of Argentina with no access at all. Many hunting lodges and estancias will now have blazingly fast Internet. Does anyone know the Internet speeds that Starlink will provide in Argentina? I didn't see it on their website.

Milei is actually very intelligent for engaging with the likes of Elon Musk. A great working relationship with Elon Musk only will lead to good things. Argentina has a lot of Lithium that could be useful to Tesla for their batteries of the Teslas. Maybe the next Tesla plant will be here in Argentina. Or a SpaceX testing site or staffing for Elon's many companies. Cha ching for Argentina.

MIlei = the Smart President.
Watch and see. These new best friends will work out a deal that helps the wealthy Musk and his various companies but does very little for Argentines or Argentina. Maybe very cheap lithium extraction for Tesla and Musk? With very few benefits for Argentina. I doubt many jobs would be created in Argentina. Maybe they take all our Lithium or very low or no taxes paid on it. Watch and see.

Watch and see. These new best friends will work out a deal that helps the wealthy Musk and his various companies but does very little for Argentines or Argentina. Maybe very cheap lithium extraction for Tesla and Musk? With very few benefits for Argentina. I doubt many jobs would be created in Argentina. Maybe they take all our Lithium or very low or no taxes paid on it. Watch and see.
Come on man! Are you realy trying to seriously argue that if President Milei doesn't reach an agreement with Elon Musk to extract valuable lithium from Argentina it wouldn't mean tremendous benefits for Argentina and the nation? You are trying to argue that no jobs would be created? That there wouldn't be tremendous tax increases and revenue for the country???

That is the problem with your side, you aren't realistic and you just have the attitude, our side good, other side bad. Your claim of no benefit via taxes or jobs for Argentina is delusional!

Think about it. Just them starting up Starlink is a great thing for Argentina. Would most people use it? Nope. But it WOULD cause an increase in tax revenue and jobs would be created from it. Just imagine many industries that need a dependable and rapid internet connection across Argentina in many areas that don't have a connection. This would speed up their ability to deploy their businesses across Argentina. This is a GOOD thing.

Come on man! Are you realy trying to seriously argue that if President Milei doesn't reach an agreement with Elon Musk to extract valuable lithium from Argentina it wouldn't mean tremendous benefits for Argentina and the nation? You are trying to argue that no jobs would be created? That there wouldn't be tremendous tax increases and revenue for the country???

That is the problem with your side, you aren't realistic and you just have the attitude, our side good, other side bad. Your claim of no benefit via taxes or jobs for Argentina is delusional!

Think about it. Just them starting up Starlink is a great thing for Argentina. Would most people use it? Nope. But it WOULD cause an increase in tax revenue and jobs would be created from it. Just imagine many industries that need a dependable and rapid internet connection across Argentina in many areas that don't have a connection. This would speed up their ability to deploy their businesses across Argentina. This is a GOOD thing.
We aren't realistic? Ha. Come on! You Milei supporters aren't realistic! You all have to realize that NONE of this will ever happen. Never. Milei is using Elon Musk. I have to admit, Milei and his sister, Karina are masters at PR and they conned the masses into voting for them. That's the only thing Milei is good at is PR tricks.

The cost of Internet will go sky high just like healthcare and subte and transportation and electricity and water and everything else! And Argentines will suffer as a result of this. Most of the expats on this forum are really really dumb. I've always wanted to say that on the other forum but never did out of respect but you all are really dumb and totally disconnected from all reality. You come into my country with your meager little retirement savings and you think you understand my country. But you are very delusional and lack common sense.

We aren't realistic? Ha. Come on! You Milei supporters aren't realistic! You all have to realize that NONE of this will ever happen. Never. Milei is using Elon Musk. I have to admit, Milei and his sister, Karina are masters at PR and they conned the masses into voting for them. That's the only thing Milei is good at is PR tricks.

The cost of Internet will go sky high just like healthcare and subte and transportation and electricity and water and everything else! And Argentines will suffer as a result of this. Most of the expats on this forum are really really dumb. I've always wanted to say that on the other forum but never did out of respect but you all are really dumb and totally disconnected from all reality. You come into my country with your meager little retirement savings and you think you understand my country. But you are very delusional and lack common sense.
One thing we all agree on is there definitely are people who are dumb and totally disconnected from all reality. But they are the ones that think Argentina would be better off under Massa. Ha, ha.

I for one would be thrilled to see Starlink really come to Argentina. One never knows when these kind of things are posted. Elon is a showman and often times says he will do something and never does. Look at the many delays with his vehicles. My brother ordered a Cybertruck years ago and it never came out. He finally canceled his deposit. Elon is the world's greatest showman. Still a smart guy.

I signed up the $9 deposit. What do I have to lose. I would be able to move out to the boonies where I prefer. I haven't yet because I need dependable Internet as I day trade stocks and need a connection.

Although Elon is a showman. getting into bed with him would be a good thing for Milei. Argentina is exporting lithium but most complain Argentina isn't efficient with exporting it and leaving a lot of money on the table. In the real world, Argentina should be making a fortune from it's exporting of this precious resource.

Milei could work out a great deal for Argentina. He is a sharp guy.

Not sure if you understand how business works but when there is more competition, prices go DOWN not up. Starlink isn't made for big congested urban centers where there are already many players. It's made for rural areas where there is limited or NO service. Sure, there might be wealthy and also luxury property rentals that pay for the service to have fast, reliable service even with the local players go down (which they do once in a while) but the masses won't get this that live in CABA. Starlink service is slow in busy city centers.

During COVID many of my friends in the USA signed up and they rented RV's and campers to go across the USA on road trips. This is the ideal market. In Argentina this will be people in rural and remote areas.

I read about Argentina's vast Lithium resources. I had never heard about it before. It sounds like Argentina has it all. Beef, soy, corn and gas and oil too. Now Lithium?! Wow. How is this country so poor with all of these resources?

I just hope that the country doesn't get exploited like African nations got exploited by European nations that took advantage of them paying them very little money for the actual value of their resources. They need to be intelligent and get the upper hand on contracts like Russia does with their trade agreements. Milei sounds like a sharp guy and I'm sure will negotiate strong agreements for Argentina which should greatly benefit the nation.

It would be wonderful if the products are actually produced in Argentina vs. just taking the lithium from the country. Fair agreements could be worked out where both Argentina and Elon Musk's companies could both win. A true win/win situation. Raw materials when they are just taking out of the country are always possible to get taken advantage of and exploited. Milei should work on agreements that prevent that.

Not sure if you understand how business works but when there is more competition, prices go DOWN not up. Starlink isn't made for big congested urban centers where there are already many players. It's made for rural areas where there is limited or NO service. Sure, there might be wealthy and also luxury property rentals that pay for the service to have fast, reliable service even with the local players go down (which they do once in a while) but the masses won't get this that live in CABA. Starlink service is slow in busy city centers.

During COVID many of my friends in the USA signed up and they rented RV's and campers to go across the USA on road trips. This is the ideal market. In Argentina this will be people in rural and remote areas.
I'm not arguing with you. It is what I reiterated above. Re-read what I said. Almost all Argentines live in congested urban busy areas. In the USA which is a wealthy country, almost NO ONE pays for Starlink. I think I read less than 2 million people out of over 335 million people.

In case you've been living under a rock, Argentina is very poor. With Milei, it will make people even poorer. How exactly will Elon's satellites hovering in Earth's lower orbit will help it create jobs for Argentines?? LOL. You are silly. No jobs will be created. Think! Musk will just make a deal to sell them, Mercado Libre will list them and ship them out and then the customer plugs them in and puts some antennae on their roof for line of sight access. No jobs created.

Fascinating discussion. Thanks for posting all the links including to Starlink. I just signed up. Like the other poster mentioned, $9 deposit is worth it and I hope it comes soon as I own a property in Villa la Angostura where there isn't a strong signal.

There is already companies trying to do the same thing. So this is nothing new. Starlink will bring more competition and more competition is a good thing.

This will most likely never happen. My American friend that owns a place in Pategonia said he signed up several years ago for Starlink and it never arrived. I don't think Milei has anything to do with this at all. Elon Musk has been saying this would come to Argentina many years ago. My friend paid $90 US Dollar deposit and it was supposed to be available in 2021. So don't hold your breath for February 2024!

This will most likely never happen. My American friend that owns a place in Pategonia said he signed up several years ago for Starlink and it never arrived. I don't think Milei has anything to do with this at all. Elon Musk has been saying this would come to Argentina many years ago. My friend paid $90 US Dollar deposit and it was supposed to be available in 2021. So don't hold your breath for February 2024!
I also heard that this has been promised to launch for years. Who knows if Milei will expedite the launch or not.

Competition is usually a good thing. It will drive prices down ultimately. There is a need for this in rural areas due to a lack of infrastructure of high-speed internet across much of Argentina. I know people that use Starlink in Chile where it is available. There it is around $500 bucks for installation and about $50 bucks a month for the service.

Many companies will offer the same. Amazon founder, Jeff Bezos will also start placing low Earth orbit satellites all over the world as well. And the Chinese are going to launch similar services as well. This will become the new normal.

I'm not sure if this is good or bad but it will come. You can't stop technology. It will only speed up. We are almost at the point of singularity with technology.

In the USA, only 0.4% of the population pays for it. How many people in Argentina do you think will pay for Starlink? Almost no one. It will lose money here. Just another example of Milei that all talk but don't help the people. He talks of big ideas but they are a dud that will help no one but very rich. 99.06% of the Argentines will never hear or use of this. Maybe some rich Argentines and dumb expats. Over 90% of all Argentines live in bigger cities where Internet is very fast and they will not need Starlink. Open your eyes people.
By that logic then nothing should ever be done with technology because no one can afford it in the moment. That isn't how technology and innovation works. True, first the upper class of society and the wealthy can only afford it. Then it gets validated and scaled for the masses. Look at air travel before when it came out. I remember when my grandparents would tell me stories of how they first traveled and how expensive it was. Thousands and thousands of dollars in inflation-adjusted dollars. Now, you have every Tom, Dick and Harry that can travel across the world effortlessly and for not too much money.

First you had big airlines and then you had smaller start-ups like Southwest Airlines and Frontier and Easy Jet and Ryan Air and on and on. Just imagine if companies or even governments had the attitude not to even do it as there was no market for it and no one can afford it. This is how things get done. With technology it will only get innovated and build faster.

Starlink and other services like it are a new technology but you will probably find that more and more people will be interested in it. Having internet access is essential now for work, for kids learning. As more and more companies expand and compete, the prices will come down. It's always how business and technology works. When computers and TV's came out they were very expensive and only for the wealthy.

It's too expensive to extend fiberoptic networks in rural areas due to the low population of people living in those areas. This all makes things become a reality. Stop with your negative way of thinking. Wake up and realize how technology will change the world.

Back