Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Now Argentina want to join NATO as a Global Partner!

Avocado

Now Milei wants Argentina to join NATO as a global partner. I wish he focos on Argentina economy instead of playing soldier boy.

BUENOS AIRES, Argentina (AP) — Argentina formally requested on Thursday to join NATO as a global partner, a status that would clear the way for greater political and security cooperation at a time when the right-wing government of President Javier Milei aims to boost ties with Western powers and attract investment.

Now Milei wants Argentina to join NATO as a global partner. I wish he focos on Argentina economy instead of playing soldier boy.

BUENOS AIRES, Argentina (AP) — Argentina formally requested on Thursday to join NATO as a global partner, a status that would clear the way for greater political and security cooperation at a time when the right-wing government of President Javier Milei aims to boost ties with Western powers and attract investment.

This is one of the things I agree with you on. There are a lot of things to focus on and this shouldn't be one of them. Argentina has always came out ok being neutral. Getting possibly tied up in World War 3 is not good.

You are totally right, @Avocado.

Buying the F16s makes sense but offering to get involved in conflicts elsewhere in the world shouldn't be on the list of priorities.

This is one of the things I agree with you on. There are a lot of things to focus on and this shouldn't be one of them. Argentina has always came out ok being neutral. Getting possibly tied up in World War 3 is not good.
You are right about neutrality being the correct policy.

Some would argue that Peron was very close to Mussolini and Hitler in the forties though.

And giving part of the country away to China supposedly for a scientific base is definitely a bad idea.

Buying the F16s makes sense but offering to get involved in conflicts elsewhere in the world shouldn't be on the list of priorities.
I agree with you. Probably needed the jets eventually but bad timing when Milei is so hung up with rhetoric about sending troops and help. Stay neutral!

Some would argue that Peron was very close to Mussolini and Hitler in the forties though.

And giving part of the country away to China supposedly for a scientific base is definitely a bad idea.
Yea about Perón. No country needs someone like that.

Yep. Argentina is a very large country and it is not like it doesn't already have yets. I don't know anything about jets or if 40 year old jets are a big upgrade from what it has now. I would not have an issue with this had it not been for so much chat from the administration about support for Israel and sending troops/support to Ukraine. That is nuts to me.

This is something that everyone seems to agree on. Neutrality. My friends that didn't vote for Milei we all agree on this.
Who knows what China is really doing down there. Spooky.

Gracias amigo. Why you think Milei thinks Argentine people want to help Ukraine? Imagine if he sent Argentine troops to help foreign country and a parent lose their son? This stupid idea. No hay plata for send to Ukraine. This idiot idea.

Argentina to stay neutral is only way forward. I worry for this now and for unconditional support for Israel. This very wrong.

It is one thing with wanting to join the club. It is quite another being accepted to the Club. Not likely to happen. Milei is trying to get a seat at the big boy's table but Argentina is still at the kiddo table.

@Betsy Ross , the F-16s are in very good condition , according to my friends in Denmark

Right now , the Argentine Air Force has no supersonic capability.

These would be a huge improvement and be crucial to defending the Argentine Air space / the problems would be training and maintaining current levels of technology and equipment.

@Betsy Ross , the F-16s are in very good condition , according to my friends in Denmark

Right now , the Argentine Air Force has no supersonic capability.

These would be a huge improvement and be crucial to defending the Argentine Air space / the problems would be training and maintaining current levels of technology and equipment.
I was wondering if Argentina had any supersonic ability and this answers that. Do you all foresee countries wanting to attack Argentina's airspace after not for decades?

In situations like this who trains when they don't have those? Danish responsible for training? Americans?

I am not so sure that the enemy is another country.

Argentina must make the county-s airspace safe from narco-terrorists.
Interesting. I don't typically think of Argentina when you talk about narco-terrorists. It's a big problem in Mexico where we live but did not hear Argentina had those issues. Interesting. Are narcotics being produced in Argentina?

Very little production here but the drugs come in by plane and truck from Bolivia and Paraguaya for onward shipment to Europe.

There are rumors that there are production facilities but no one is saying too much officially or unofficially

There are quite a few Colombians and Mexicans living in fancy houses according some news reports.

Rosario about 4 hours north of the capital has a very bad drugs problem at local level and parts of the city are no-go areas.

Very little production here but the drugs come in by plane and truck from Bolivia and Paraguaya for onward shipment to Europe.

There are rumors that there are production facilities but no one is saying too much officially or unofficially

There are quite a few Colombians and Mexicans living in fancy houses according some news reports.

Rosario about 4 hours north of the capital has a very bad drugs problem at local level and parts of the city are no-go areas.
Drugs are definitely an issue here. If I am not mistaken, Pablo Escobar's wife moved to Buenos Aires after her husband died as well as some of his family members.

Back