Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Legal Any risk to constantly overstaying on tourist visa? How many times can you do border runs in Argentina?

The only downside to the Colonia visa run is how boring it is no offense. OK there's the old town with some really old looking buildings and stone paved roads that make it easy to imagine you are in Ancient Rome for about 20 minutes, Then what do you do for the next 6 hours?

There is 1 street in town with restaurants serving awful quality food at USA level prices. You will inevitably end up eating something there out of pure boredom then hate yourself afterwards

The only joy comes from installing a step counter app on your phone and trying to break your records doing laps of the town
Totally agree. Colonia is boring. I was expecting a bigger town. A better visit would be Montevideo which is a real city.

Just an update. I left right before Christmas to visit my family in the USA. I re-entered Argentina and I was nervous a few days ago but I did not have any issues coming back into Argentina. I will just take normal trips out of Argentina for at least 2 nights every 90 days. That is easy enough to go on normal trips. It seems like the people that I met doing that have avoided issues.

Overstaying a tourist visa is considered illegal.
It is that way everywhere in the world isn't it? There is a law and if it is broken or not followed that is breaking the law. It seems like just because previous governments allowed it doesn't mean this administration will. It sounds like they are cleaning house and actually enforcing laws now.

Overstaying a tourist visa is considered illegal.
I think it very good that they apply the law. If people want to come to Argentina it very good for the country. But they should do things legally just like other countries. When I go to the States if I overstay it illegal. Funny to think tourists think they can stay illegal with no problem and many say it not illegal.

I saw this on X. Is the government cracking down on perma-tourists? Or will they??? Or did these people just not enter legally? Is overstaying your tourist visa considered illegal?

I don't think these people were tourists in the traditional sense. Didn't it come out they snuck in through some land entry? I don't know if things will change for tourists overstaying their visas but this administration seems like they want everything to go legally which makes sense. While I don't think it's a high priority to deport tourists overstaying, I would think that they will eventually get to it.

I don't think these people were tourists in the traditional sense. Didn't it come out they snuck in through some land entry? I don't know if things will change for tourists overstaying their visas but this administration seems like they want everything to go legally which makes sense. While I don't think it's a high priority to deport tourists overstaying, I would think that they will eventually get to it.
This was different vs. tourists that just overstay their visas.

You can read here that they were found on a bus with no proof of entry into Argentina. Still, one can argue that the country will get tougher on all forms of immigration and overstaying visas. The best thing for people that want to stay in Argentina long-term is to get legal residency.

I saw this on X. Is the government cracking down on perma-tourists? Or will they??? Or did these people just not enter legally? Is overstaying your tourist visa considered illegal?

These guys didn't commit any crimes at all. From what I have seen online they were just in Argentina. It sounds like Argentina does not want the problems of Europe or other countries with people entering it's borders or staying in Argentina illegally which would include people overstaying visas. I will never understand how people try to claim this is not illegal. It is. Up until now it has been very easy to pay a fine but something tells me things are a changing.

These guys didn't commit any crimes at all. From what I have seen online they were just in Argentina. It sounds like Argentina does not want the problems of Europe or other countries with people entering it's borders or staying in Argentina illegally which would include people overstaying visas. I will never understand how people try to claim this is not illegal. It is. Up until now it has been very easy to pay a fine but something tells me things are a changing.
You may have a point. Before Milei I never heard of anyone getting deported but now all of a sudden I am reading a few cases. These Moroccans don't sound like they were doing anything. Was it stereotyping based on the color of their skin? Doesn't deporting people cost money? I thought there was no plata?

You may have a point. Before Milei I never heard of anyone getting deported but now all of a sudden I am reading a few cases. These Moroccans don't sound like they were doing anything. Was it stereotyping based on the color of their skin? Doesn't deporting people cost money? I thought there was no plata?
I don't know if it was stereotyping. I'm not sure if this is accurate but I saw this online and it claims it is in La Plata. I have been in Buenos Aires for many years and rarely see black people but this photo claims to be from La Plata.

I really hope they don't change anything. I love Argentina for the ability to just be a perma-tourist! Brazil is very difficult and strict with total # of days you can stay in each time. I hope Argentina doesn't go the same route.

It sounds like Argentina does not want the problems of Europe or other countries with people entering it's borders or staying in Argentina illegally
Argentina has had the same problem for decades. Bolivians, Paraguayans and Peruvians have trickled down nonstop since the '60s, maybe even earlier than that. Most of them entered the country illegally.

While renting an Airbnb here, this summer, a carpenter had to come fix the kitchen cabs that the previous renter had broken. This carpenter is from Peru, he entered Argentina illegally in 2001 and became a permanent resident 13 years ago. He said that during the time he was undocumented, the police would stop him often asking for money not to take him to jail. He said that during his first years here, when he was selling cheap stuff on the streets, every Friday police officers would stop by to collect money from all the undocumented vendors. If they didn't have money, the cops would take them to a comisaría.

These guys crossed the border illegally / A friend in Misiones tells me they probably crossed the river at Puerto Iguazu. There is a little barge that takes you back and forward between Paraguay and Argentina for one dollar

Illegal border crossing is a crime

Argentina has had the same problem for decades. Bolivians, Paraguayans and Peruvians have trickled down nonstop since the '60s, maybe even earlier than that. Most of them entered the country illegally.

While renting an Airbnb here, this summer, a carpenter had to come fix the kitchen cabs that the previous renter had broken. This carpenter is from Peru, he entered Argentina illegally in 2001 and became a permanent resident 13 years ago. He said that during the time he was undocumented, the police would stop him often asking for money not to take him to jail. He said that during his first years here, when he was selling cheap stuff on the streets, every Friday police officers would stop by to collect money from all the undocumented vendors. If they didn't have money, the cops would take them to a comisaría.
But Peru, Bolivia, Paraguay, Venezuela, Colombia are all Mercosur countries. Why do they need to be illegal? From my understanding it is very easy for all of these people to legally come and work and study in Argentina. I'm not sure how long it was around so maybe he came before it was established? It's been around for at least 15 years as I have many friends from South American nations that are all here in Argentina living legally.

These guys crossed the border illegally / A friend in Misiones tells me they probably crossed the river at Puerto Iguazu. There is a little barge that takes you back and forward between Paraguay and Argentina for one dollar

Illegal border crossing is a crime
Yes I am told it is very easy to cross back and forth. It doesn't appear they were committing any crimes so I wonder if they were just targeted based on race?

But Peru, Bolivia, Paraguay, Venezuela, Colombia are all Mercosur countries. Why do they need to be illegal? From my understanding it is very easy for all of these people to legally come and work and study in Argentina. I'm not sure how long it was around so maybe he came before it was established? It's been around for at least 15 years
As I mentioned, the carpenter entered Argentina illegally in 2001.

That's a great story. Thanks for sharing. Totally true there were a lot of illegal South Americans especially from Peru in the early 2000's. I remember one of my clients bought a large building in San Telmo. It was abandoned. I told him immediately after purchase to cement all the windows and doors and he didn't take my advise. Peruvian families raided his building. Something like 400 people. He spent I think 3-4 years going through the legal system to evict them. Even on the day the police came they refused to leave so the Argentine Army had to come in to remove all of them.

These days it's much easier with Mercosur and it is actually great that most Porteños open their arms to all of these people from other nations. Everyone has their role in Argentina. The vast majority of Uber drives I get are from Venezuela. No matter how bad things are here it's a paradise to back in Venezuela. I frequently engage them in conversation and almost all of them are Milei fans and hate the lazy Argentines in society. The Venezuelans are very hard workers.

Illegal border crossing is a crime. These guys from Morocco could have been terrorists or people coming to train people here to be terrorists.

It's not a question of the color of their skin....

Were they bonafide tourists or up to no good?

They were unable to explain what they were up to.
But Peru, Bolivia, Paraguay, Venezuela, Colombia are all Mercosur countries. Why do they need to be illegal? From my understanding it is very easy for all of these people to legally come and work and study in Argentina. I'm not sure how long it was around so maybe he came before it was established? It's been around for at least 15 years as I have many friends from South American nations that are all here in Argentina living legally.

Yes I am told it is very easy to cross back and forth. It doesn't appear they were committing any crimes so I wonder if they were just targeted based on race?

Illegal border crossing is a crime. These guys from Morocco could have been terrorists or people coming to train people here to be terrorists.

It's not a question of the color of their skin....

Were they bonafide tourists or up to no good?

They were unable to explain what they were up to.
I doubt they will start going after normal tourists that overstay their visas. I guess there is a difference between overstaying a legitimate tourist visa and crossing illegally.

Back