Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Legal Any risk to constantly overstaying on tourist visa? How many times can you do border runs in Argentina?

I posted in another thread but maybe more appropriate here.

I'm asking for a friend. Let's say you are from the United Kingdom and you have been illegally living in Argentina since 2019. You didn't leave to Uruguay to do border runs as you heard that it was better to overstay and just pay an exit fine. Let's say lately at the supermarket they are asking for passports all of a sudden and you go to Western Union today and while they are scanning your passport they call the Manager over and they are talking and flipping through your passport. I didn't get any stamp in my passport when I entered Argentina so I don't think they know when I entered but they saw my exit stamp when I was leaving Europe and they were asking me some questions.

Will I have any issues going into other countries like the USA. Will anyone know that I'm a criminal and overstayed in Argentina. Will I have problems coming back in Argentina in April?

Only asking for a friend.
You shouldn't have issues at Western Union I wouldn't think unless something is new. I don't know how they would know how long you stayed here. But you are right the supermarket lately is asking for passport. You shouldn't have issues in USA.

I can't answer if you will have issues coming back to Argentina. For sure they will know you overstayed and will have to pay a fine. They might hassle you that it's been YEARS. (I mean your friend stayed years....). Ha.

You shouldn't have issues at Western Union I wouldn't think unless something is new. I don't know how they would know how long you stayed here. But you are right the supermarket lately is asking for passport. You shouldn't have issues in USA.

I can't answer if you will have issues coming back to Argentina. For sure they will know you overstayed and will have to pay a fine. They might hassle you that it's been YEARS. (I mean your friend stayed years....). Ha.
OK I will cross my fingers about re-entry.

re-entry.
update for those on 90-day tourist visas like me:

there was some rumors going around on Facebook at least, about Migraciones denying extensions (to turn a 90-day into a 180-day tourist visa for extranjeros like from the USA). in typical gov't fashion, the response i got on Twitter and via email was "see the website" - so my plan is to go in-person to the Puerto Madero immigration office and check.

that being said, lawyer Rubilar is currently advising people on FB to overstay and just pay when you leave. don't do the ferry or border crossings.

for those like me who can't have even a 0.1% risk (i have my dog with me, not happening), has anyone gotten the extra 90 days at Immigrations since Milei took office? another FB poster said they were told "only come back when you have 10 or less days on your current visa" - seems like wayyyyy too risky for me. i don't want to have to buy a plane ticket 10 days out and waste money when i can use miles and fly for a few bucks.

anyone with some 2024 info, please post here!

there was some rumors going around on Facebook at least, about Migraciones denying extensions (to turn a 90-day into a 180-day tourist visa for extranjeros like from the USA). in typical gov't fashion, the response i got on Twitter and via email was "see the website" - so my plan is to go in-person to the Puerto Madero immigration office and check.

that being said, lawyer Rubilar is currently advising people on FB to overstay and just pay when you leave. don't do the ferry or border crossings.

for those like me who can't have even a 0.1% risk (i have my dog with me, not happening), has anyone gotten the extra 90 days at Immigrations since Milei took office? another FB poster said they were told "only come back when you have 10 or less days on your current visa" - seems like wayyyyy too risky for me. i don't want to have to buy a plane ticket 10 days out and waste money when i can use miles and fly for a few bucks.

Yikes! Why not just do a visit to Uruguay if this is your situation. I think when most people say to avoid Uruguay it's for people living here for years doing it over and over. If I recall you mentioned this is your first visit to Argentina. Just do a quick trip to Colonia. I think you can go with your dog? I'm not sure but it's an easy trip and if you can't take the chance, just do a day trip and reset your clock. The border run avoidance is for people doing it for years not for people like you on your first trip.

The 10 days thing is true. If you aren't within 10 days before your 90 day visa expires they won't even let you past the first check to enter the migration office about extending

If it's your first time here and there's still more than 10 days until your visa expires just go to Colonia for a day there is 0 % they will care

If you have multiple visa runs and are leaving the day before your visa expires that looks suspicious and they might stop you eventually

Otherwise it's completely normal to think you are just doing a typical touristy thing and going on a day trip. Take the last boat back that arrives in BS AS at like 6pm when the migration workers just want to go home already and not spend an hour interrogating some yankee then however long the the process would take if they actually deny you entry

Yikes! Why not just do a visit to Uruguay if this is your situation. I think when most people say to avoid Uruguay it's for people living here for years doing it over and over. If I recall you mentioned this is your first visit to Argentina. Just do a quick trip to Colonia. I think you can go with your dog? I'm not sure but it's an easy trip and if you can't take the chance, just do a day trip and reset your clock. The border run avoidance is for people doing it for years not for people like you on your first trip.
The 10 days thing is true. If you aren't within 10 days before your 90 day visa expires they won't even let you past the first check to enter the migration office about extending
If it's your first time here and there's still more than 10 days until your visa expires just go to Colonia for a day there is 0 % they will care

If you have multiple visa runs and are leaving the day before your visa expires that looks suspicious and they might stop you eventually

Otherwise it's completely normal to think you are just doing a typical touristy thing and going on a day trip. Take the last boat back that arrives in BS AS at like 6pm when the migration workers just want to go home already and not spend an hour interrogating some yankee then however long the the process would take if they actually deny you entry
I COMPLETELY and 100% agree with @Betsy Ross and @MickMolloy. All correct advice. No reason to not go to Uruguay for the day. Very cheap and very easy to do. There is NO way that you will have issues with this your first time. Or probably even your 2nd or 3rd time either. I have been visiting and living and working in Argentina for 21+ years. I've literally had well over 500 clients during that time. Many of them perma-tourists and I've only heard of 2 times of people that I personally knew that had issues. I have read other things from people that I didn't personally know but even in those cases those people were clearly living in Argentina many years.

@StatusNomadicus, I would definitely recommend a visit to Uruguay to reset your clock and stay another 3 months without issues. A visit to Uruguay is a very normal thing. The other thing is that things constantly are evolving and changing in Argentina. Especially under President Milei. I do agree that probably nothing is going to suddenly change but I have never in all my years living and working in Argentina, ever heard of anyone having issues by going to Uruguay their first time.

The 2 that I know that have had issues were perma-tourists living in Argentina for many, many years.

Just do a quick trip to Colonia. I think you can go with your dog?
many people are saying the border-crossing is now being scrutinized. it is definitely circumventing Immigrations, regardless if it's been tacitly allowed in the past. and no, i don't know if it's possible with a dog (i heard it is if you have a car), so i wouldn't try it without knowing for sure.
If you aren't within 10 days
so silly to punish people for being squared-away. and i'm less likely to spend money on he next Airbnb, tours, etc. if i don't even know if i can stay in the country in 10 days! this is a serious downside to Buenos Aires. thanks for this info! i was going to waste my time today, since i'm picking-up my new passport nearby anyway. Immigrations has been wholly unhelpful online.
I have never in all my years living and working in Argentina, ever heard of anyone having issues by going to Uruguay their first time.
but that's the thing; before 2024, i wouldn't hesitate to trust this. but the premise of these threads is that people are giving real-world experiences about being turned back. what if i go to the ferry, go to Uruguay, then try to come back in and the border guards say "Migraciones won't le us re-stamp you, because you should have extended your visa at their office in BsAs" - are you guys on this forum going to help me cross illegally so i can get back with my gf and dog? ;) there's just too much risk, since i'm the main Spanish-speaker. here are all the sources of the no-border-or-ferry-crossings-anymore concern:

1. @VINO's experience with their friend in 2023 (not sure on how many times until it was blocked).
2. @overstayed's conversation with Immigration about possibly needing to leave Argentina soon (not sure the outcome or cause of this).
3. @Soytoy's story of someone who did border runs for years, getting denied.
4. @naked's denial when they had to change plans embarrassingly a few years ago.
5. @Nasdaq's friend who might be banned from Argentina for years.
6. @former expat's experience in the past of getting denied after 8 years of runs.
7. @Rick's three-strike rule he was told.
8. @Cardiac Arrest getting flagged in the system and warned on the 2nd time, after overstaying a year.
9. @illegal alien's concern of not getting back in (not sure if there was ever a denial).
10. 18Dec2023 posting on the old forum by @Bajo_cero2 "Visa runs are illegal according to decreto 616/2010. It is called abuse of tourist visa and allow them to reject you at the border. It is better to overstay, then you become an inhabitant protected by the National Constitution."
11. @miguel741's question on the old forum "There is a lot of theoretical posts on here saying 'forget going to colonial, forget renewing, just overstay as long as you want and nothing bad will ever happen to you' - Has anyone actually done this or is it all just talk ?" (i believe you guys here are giving bad advice to do border runs).

everyone who is saying 'don't worry about it, it's always worked, and no one will get deported' is just speculating. the rules are changing, there is a new presidency, and things are biometric now. so, no one knows how it will work, or what algorithm will flag them, or how that Migraciones supervisor will feel subjectively about your case. this isn't to fear-monger, it's to collect info and make a plan for people wanting to come here, but who don't get approved for 1-year temporary Visas.

anyone who has actual experience, please post! i can't do the 10-day window until a month from now, sorry.

many people are saying the border-crossing is now being scrutinized. it is definitely circumventing Immigrations, regardless if it's been tacitly allowed in the past. and no, i don't know if it's possible with a dog (i heard it is if you have a car), so i wouldn't try it without knowing for sure.

so silly to punish people for being squared-away. and i'm less likely to spend money on he next Airbnb, tours, etc. if i don't even know if i can stay in the country in 10 days! this is a serious downside to Buenos Aires. thanks for this info! i was going to waste my time today, since i'm picking-up my new passport nearby anyway. Immigrations has been wholly unhelpful online.

but that's the thing; before 2024, i wouldn't hesitate to trust this. but the premise of these threads is that people are giving real-world experiences about being turned back. what if i go to the ferry, go to Uruguay, then try to come back in and the border guards say "Migraciones won't le us re-stamp you, because you should have extended your visa at their office in BsAs" - are you guys on this forum going to help me cross illegally so i can get back with my gf and dog? ;) there's just too much risk, since i'm the main Spanish-speaker. here are all the sources of the no-border-or-ferry-crossings-anymore concern:

1. @VINO's experience with their friend in 2023 (not sure on how many times until it was blocked).
2. @overstayed's conversation with Immigration about possibly needing to leave Argentina soon (not sure the outcome or cause of this).
4. @naked's denial when they had to change plans embarrassingly a few years ago.
6. @former expat's experience in the past of getting denied after 8 years of runs.
8. @Cardiac Arrest getting flagged in the system and warned on the 2nd time, after overstaying a year.
9. @illegal alien's concern of not getting back in (not sure if there was ever a denial).
10. 18Dec2023 posting on the old forum by @Bajo_cero2 "Visa runs are illegal according to decreto 616/2010. It is called abuse of tourist visa and allow them to reject you at the border. It is better to overstay, then you become an inhabitant protected by the National Constitution."
11. @miguel741's question on the old forum "There is a lot of theoretical posts on here saying 'forget going to colonial, forget renewing, just overstay as long as you want and nothing bad will ever happen to you' - Has anyone actually done this or is it all just talk ?" (i believe you guys here are giving bad advice to do border runs).

everyone who is saying 'don't worry about it, it's always worked, and no one will get deported' is just speculating. the rules are changing, there is a new presidency, and things are biometric now. so, no one knows how it will work, or what algorithm will flag them, or how that Migraciones supervisor will feel subjectively about your case. this isn't to fear-monger, it's to collect info and make a plan for people wanting to come here, but who don't get approved for 1-year temporary Visas.

anyone who has actual experience, please post! i can't do the 10-day window until a month from now, sorry.
But isn’t overstaying illegal too? If there is a fine I’m sure it is. Truth is sure anything could happen. But I think you’re splitting hairs saying it’s not illegal to overstay. That seems more illegal to me than simply visiting another country on your “vacation” of South America.

I went to Colonia in December and the boat was full of dogs, no exaggeration at least 30 dogs. Every size from little poodles to enormous dogs. One of them jumped up and slept on the seats next to me

Listen to yourself. You are trying to say overstay in my country not illegal. They make law for reason. If they have law you only stay maximum 90 day at a time it a LAW. Do you know how law work?! You break law if you overstay. That illegal. Maybe border run over and over also illegal but both not good and not legal.
I went to Colonia in December and the boat was full of dogs, no exaggeration at least 30 dogs. Every size from little poodles to enormous dogs. One of them jumped up and slept on the seats next to me
BTW if you are uncomfortable or allergic to dogs be careful taking the Colonja Express because in true South America fashion people will just let their dogs run all through the boat and do whatever they want people here don't give af
Yes this so true. All the Porteños love dogs. All bring to Punta del Este in December and January. It very bad Buquebus not control all the dogs. It very bad for the people allergic to dogs. Many owners not polite and watch the dogs.

I just do the border runs to Uruguay and never had any issues.

There is some great information on this website.

Great link! Thanks for sharing. Yeah I think if there is a fine then you're breaking the law staying over the maximum. I don't think visiting Uruguay on your first visit is illegal.

isn’t overstaying illegal too?
not according to Federal Lawyer, Christian Rubilar (he is @Bajo_cero2 on the old forum). https://w3.cpacf.org.ar/guiaabo2/Gu... &estado=Activo&celular=NO INFORMA

"this is why I always advice to overstay and pay the visa when you leave for good because in that case you are an inhabitant with full civil rights under civil Courts." https://www.rubilarcitizenship.com/citizenship

Decree 616/2010 according to Rubilar. https://baexpats.org/threads/anyone...atyed-their-visa-for-years.46606/#post-441705

If there is a fine I’m sure it is
i would agree if lawyer Rubilar wasn't so certain, and if people weren't getting denied re-entry like the many stories mentioned on this forum! it sounds like a weird law, but par for the course for Argentina i suppose (to be confusing)

Colonia in December and the boat was full of dogs,
was this Colonia Express?
I just do the border runs to Uruguay and never had any issues.
again, people need to stop repeating what has worked in the past, when in this exact thread i listed 10 examples of how people get denied doing "border runs"

just because it worked in the past, doesn't mean sidestepping the law isn't illegal now. that's the point of this thread! @Katherina
I don't think visiting Uruguay on your first visit is illegal.
"think" but what happens when you get pulled aside and they ask you why you're skirting immigration law with a 90-day visa?

"Before you could just live here doing visa runs every 6 months but from what I've heard border control are starting to crack down on it and it's a lottery depending on who is checking your passport as you come back to Argentina."
lawyer: "Border runs are not a guarantee" https://baexpats.org/threads/overstaying-tourist-visa-for-1-2-years.45604/page-2

not according to Federal Lawyer, Christian Rubilar (he is @Bajo_cero2 on the old forum). https://w3.cpacf.org.ar/guiaabo2/GuiaAboDetalle.aspx?tomo=97 - 620&nom=RUBILAR PANASIUK CHRISTIAN DEMIAN&dom=LAVALLE 1282 4° "1"-1124&tel=- &fecha=21/11/2007&mail=rubilar.abogados@gmail.com &estado=Activo&celular=NO INFORMA

"this is why I always advice to overstay and pay the visa when you leave for good because in that case you are an inhabitant with full civil rights under civil Courts." https://www.rubilarcitizenship.com/citizenship

Decree 616/2010 according to Rubilar. https://baexpats.org/threads/anyone...atyed-their-visa-for-years.46606/#post-441705

i would agree if lawyer Rubilar wasn't so certain, and if people weren't getting denied re-entry like the many stories mentioned on this forum! it sounds like a weird law, but par for the course for Argentina i suppose (to be confusing)

was this Colonia Express?

again, people need to stop repeating what has worked in the past, when in this exact thread i listed 10 examples of how people get denied doing "border runs"

just because it worked in the past, doesn't mean sidestepping the law isn't illegal now. that's the point of this thread! @Katherina

"think" but what happens when you get pulled aside and they ask you why you're skirting immigration law with a 90-day visa?

"Before you could just live here doing visa runs every 6 months but from what I've heard border control are starting to crack down on it and it's a lottery depending on who is checking your passport as you come back to Argentina."
lawyer: "Border runs are not a guarantee" https://baexpats.org/threads/overstaying-tourist-visa-for-1-2-years.45604/page-2

Yep that video is the Colonia Express boat that leaves from the San Telmo side, I last took it in December, Like you see in the video there is a large outdoor area you are free to go the whole trip, it's pretty nice really

The only downside to the Colonia visa run is how boring it is no offense. OK there's the old town with some really old looking buildings and stone paved roads that make it easy to imagine you are in Ancient Rome for about 20 minutes, Then what do you do for the next 6 hours?

There is 1 street in town with restaurants serving awful quality food at USA level prices. You will inevitably end up eating something there out of pure boredom then hate yourself afterwards

The only joy comes from installing a step counter app on your phone and trying to break your records doing laps of the town

The only downside to the Colonia visa run is how boring it is no offense. OK there's the old town with some really old looking buildings and stone paved roads that make it easy to imagine you are in Ancient Rome for about 20 minutes, Then what do you do for the next 6 hours?

There is 1 street in town with restaurants serving awful quality food at USA level prices. You will inevitably end up eating something there out of pure boredom then hate yourself afterwards

The only joy comes from installing a step counter app on your phone and trying to break your records doing laps of the town
I totally agree with you. It's very small and it's a "1 and done" type of place for me. I also find it really boring.

I also find it really boring.
i moved to the Midwest during COVID lockdowns to get out of the big city and drama, so Colonia sounds nice! i'm looking forward to rural Cordoba or Patagonia for eventually doing some small-scale aquaponics and agriculture, so obviously my priorities aren't for exciting cities; i can always fly to a big city like BsAs or Prague or CDMX and see the action.

Listen to yourself. You are trying to say overstay in my country not illegal. They make law for reason. If they have law you only stay maximum 90 day at a time it a LAW. Do you know how law work?! You break law if you overstay. That illegal. Maybe border run over and over also illegal but both not good and not legal.
de repente veo tu respuesta. es tan increible que eres tan estupido, cada dia. yo soy la unica persona aqui que esta diciendo que quiero seguir la ley, pero estas gritando a yo?? cada persona en este sitio ha dicho que yo debo usar la frontera de Uruguay, cada 90 dias, para evitar residencia temporal. como te explique, el abogado Rubilar para mucho tiempo ha explicado que es contra la ley ir a Uruguay cada 3 meses. "Abuse of the tourist visa in Argentina has been defined by Bajo_Cero2 as a fraud and it is illegal." https://baexpats.org/threads/family...anning-to-stay-a-couple-of-years.45199/page-2

entonces, por que no gritas a @earlyretirement o @MickMolloy o @Katherina aqui, antes de tu mensaje a mi, que ellos son personas terribles, y estan rompiendo la ley? porque tienes una infatuacion conmigo, o que?

si crees que abogado Rubilar es incorrecto, dile a su sitio o en BAExpats.org, pero deja de molestarme por averiguar la ley, y por ser la unica persona aqui que esta tratando de evitar las 'corrientes fronteras' que son contra la ley. https://baexpats.org/threads/immigration-for-dummies.29534/post-359276

@Avocado en serio eres una persona horrible, que habla mucho pero lee nada, y aunque he te explicado cosas simples, continuas de repetir tus frases preparadas. eres tan lleno de enojado y antipatico, aunque no tienes ni idea que es ser un Expat. por favor: deja de violar nuestro sitio de ExpatsBA.com y va lejos, para charlar con tus amigos Peronistos sobre el maldito Milei...es increible que siempre tienes odio a cada persona que no es Argentino Peronisto...para la 9a vez: estas en SITIO DE EXPAT...por que estas aqui??

Back