Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer A Serb in Buenos Aires

ognjen

Hey guys!

Thought I'd introduce myself.

I'm from Serbia, and I moved here in October 2023.

I love this city - the food, the people, the walkability - for me it's one of the top cities in the world.

I'm in the process of getting Argentinian citizenship (next year - toco madero), and until then I'm learning Spanish and trying to meet both expats and locals.

Looking forward to meeting new people here :)

Hey guys!

I love this city - the food, the people, the walkability - for me it's one of the top cities in the world.

I'm in the process of getting Argentinian citizenship (next year - toco madero), and until then I'm learning Spanish and trying to meet both expats and locals.

Welcome @ognjen. You will love Buenos Aires. You're right, it's a great walking city. Belgrade also isn't too bad. I had an office there with many employees and it's a very nice city. I enjoyed my visits to Belgrade when I went.

Good luck with your Spanish and welcome to Argentina.

It is great to see people from Europe moving here instead of locals fleeing to Spain and Portugal. You nailed it that BA is a great city. Great restaurants and very walkable. Just curious how you will get citizenship so quickly if you just moved here. Did you marry a local?

Hey guys!

Welcome @ognjen Both you and @earlyretirement are right about the walkability but also let me remind you guys that there's a high possibility that you will step on a pile of dog poop if you're not careful :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I'm also in the process of acquiring Argentinian citizenship. Has your trámite been registered? I got married in August 2023 but my expediente wasn't registered until Oct 2023. Let me know if you have questions or maybe we should compare notes.

Welcome @ognjen Both you and @earlyretirement are right about the walkability but also let me remind you guys that there's a high possibility that you will step on a pile of dog poop if you're not careful :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I'm also in the process of acquiring Argentinian citizenship. Has your trámite been registered? I got married in August 2023 but my expediente wasn't registered until Oct 2023. Let me know if you have questions or maybe we should compare notes.
Did someone mention dog poop? That is the only thing I am dreading about BA (besides the mosquitos). Welcome @ognjen. I hear Buenos Aires is very walkable. My friend used to take Ubers all over but she said that was getting expensive and started walking more. What makes you say it's one of the top cities in the world? What do you like the most about it? I also heard great things about it and coming last week in April unless the mosquito situation doesn't drastically improve. If not I will delay it until it gets cold.

Do tell how you are getting citizenship so quickly. I am researching online various options and all sounds confusing unless you are marrying someone there.

It is great to see people from Europe moving here instead of locals fleeing to Spain and Portugal. You nailed it that BA is a great city. Great restaurants and very walkable. Just curious how you will get citizenship so quickly if you just moved here. Did you marry a local?
I'm going with a lawyer that specializes in that - going in front of a judge and then courts deciding if I should be a citizen or not. I started the process in January last year (visited BA for the first time then) and it's 30 months from that point (with the majority of my time being spent in Argentina).

I'm using a lawyer who is advising me to go straight from a tourist visa to the passport :ROFLMAO: I would be worried but I talked with a few people who already got their citizenships through dealing with him and they confirm what he saying. I guess I'll know by next July hah.
Did someone mention dog poop? That is the only thing I am dreading about BA (besides the mosquitos). Welcome @ognjen. I hear Buenos Aires is very walkable. My friend used to take Ubers all over but she said that was getting expensive and started walking more. What makes you say it's one of the top cities in the world? What do you like the most about it? I also heard great things about it and coming last week in April unless the mosquito situation doesn't drastically improve. If not I will delay it until it gets cold.

Do tell how you are getting citizenship so quickly. I am researching online various options and all sounds confusing unless you are marrying someone there.
So basically: start the process, pay the lawyer half, wait 30 months (minimum 7 months in Argentina), get the passport. Might be a bit more strict now with a lot of Russians applying but that's more or less the case (as far as I know).

Hey guys!

I'm so jealous @ognjen that you get to live in Buenos Aires! I made my first visit in November and dying to go back. I also had a great time walking around the city. I loved it so much I bought an apartment there in Palermo and plan to spend part of the year there. I am also trying to learn Spanish but very busy with work.

I will be down there in July for a few weeks if you wanted to meet up. First empanada is on me. :p

I'm going with a lawyer that specializes in that - going in front of a judge and then courts deciding if I should be a citizen or not. I started the process in January last year (visited BA for the first time then) and it's 30 months from that point (with the majority of my time being spent in Argentina).

I'm using a lawyer who is advising me to go straight from a tourist visa to the passport :ROFLMAO: I would be worried but I talked with a few people who already got their citizenships through dealing with him and they confirm what he saying. I guess I'll know by next July hah.

So basically: start the process, pay the lawyer half, wait 30 months (minimum 7 months in Argentina), get the passport. Might be a bit more strict now with a lot of Russians applying but that's more or less the case (as far as I know).
Wow this would be amazing. I read a few things online but I don't know anyone that went from tourist to Citizen so can you keep us posted about this? I sent you a PM @ognjen. Good luck!

I'm so jealous @ognjen that you get to live in Buenos Aires! I made my first visit in November and dying to go back. I also had a great time walking around the city. I loved it so much I bought an apartment there in Palermo and plan to spend part of the year there. I am also trying to learn Spanish but very busy with work.

I will be down there in July for a few weeks if you wanted to meet up. First empanada is on me. :p
For sure! I'm only leaving to go to Serbia in September for a wedding (I'm the best man hah), but other than that I'm in Buenos Aires todo tiempo.

I'll take you up on that empanada :)

Welcome @ognjen! I hope to move down there later this year or next year. Are you using the lawyer Rubliar? I assume so as he is the only one that goes straight to the Citizenship route. Can you post about your experiences as you go through the process. I'm curious to hear about how successful it is.

Welcome @ognjen! I hope to move down there later this year or next year. Are you using the lawyer Rubliar? I assume so as he is the only one that goes straight to the Citizenship route. Can you post about your experiences as you go through the process. I'm curious to hear about how successful it is.

Is this website for real? Ha! It is like going back in time with a Time Machine. Too funny.

yup it's Rubilar :) and sure, I'll keep you updated!

yup it's Rubilar :) and sure, I'll keep you updated!
I've been reading posts by Dr. Rubilar for many years. He seems to be respected and understand and know the laws in Argentina. Typically any individual or business that has been around for many years in Argentina knows what they are doing. There are a lot of fly by night companies or individuals that hide behind a screen name but Dr. Rubilar seems to have helped many non-resident foreigners over the past 2 decades. I gotta respect the hell out of that.

Welcome. I thought about contacting him but I read he is very expensive but no way I can navigate this on my own but I will wait to see how it works out for you. I heard it takes several years best case scenario. I plan on going the pensionista route but even that paperwork is a pain in the ass doing from Argentina.

I was wondering how all the Russians flooding into BA would affect things or if the system will change. I wish they would do an investor visa but that probably is coming.

Welcome. I thought about contacting him but I read he is very expensive but no way I can navigate this on my own but I will wait to see how it works out for you. I heard it takes several years best case scenario. I plan on going the pensionista route but even that paperwork is a pain in the ass doing from Argentina.

I was wondering how all the Russians flooding into BA would affect things or if the system will change. I wish they would do an investor visa but that probably is coming.
I've read some of Rubilar's posts and my understanding was his way of obtaining citizenship is baked into the constitution, hence probably difficult to change. My understanding was it was also highly dependent on the judge who was overseeing each case and why some might be shorter and why some might take longer all things being equal.

I've read some of Rubilar's posts and my understanding was his way of obtaining citizenship is baked into the constitution, hence probably difficult to change. My understanding was it was also highly dependent on the judge who was overseeing each case and why some might be shorter and why some might take longer all things being equal.
Yes, that is our take as well. Dr. Rubilar seems to know which judges will be more lenient towards the Constitution. It is really essential to know the exact laws in Argentina and how they work so you can quote it to someone. There are many government workers that often times won't want to help or assist until you show them it is the law and they must.

We can give countless examples of this over living and operating here for the past 22 years.

Back