Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer Moving to Buenos Aires

raimond

Hey! I'm about to make the big move to Argentina to start a new chapter in my life. I'm super pumped to get there and eventually call Argentina home! But, before I go, I have a few questions about what I should know:
  1. What are the general manners and culture? I want to make sure I don't commit any social faux pas.
  2. The big question: River or Boca? I know that football is highly valued there and I don't want to mess up from the start.
  3. Is being a foreigner an issue socially, or is it generally accepted?
  4. Are there any Spanish words I should avoid saying to prevent misunderstandings?
I've been wanting to go to Argentina for ages, and I finally have the chance to move to Buenos Aires. Although I've been doing a lot of reading about the history and customs, I thought it would be a good idea to ask here to learn even more. Thanks for the help!

I can tell you what I know about Argentina after having lived there for many years, a beautiful country!

Manners or customs that are rare for foreigners:

They are very bodily and demonstrative, hugs, kisses to say hello, etc are normal things.

They eat dinner late compared to Americans.

They have a very light breakfast, a coffee and a couple of croissants (Medialunas) or cookies is typical, no fruits or fats, nothing exaggerated like bacon, egg, orange juice, etc.

The MATE will be your new religion LOL and something very important I learned, the bombilla is not touched, most people drink it bitter but you can sweeten it and when you don't want it anymore you say "GRACIAS", not before.

The "insults (puteadas)" can be "affectionate" for example "boludo".

The word "negro" here has many meanings, being "the negro" of the group of friends is an affectionate form, "los negros" is derogatory. It is not racist, but classist.

Football team, of course River, but you can go to see a match of both and make your own decision.

In Argentina unpunctuality is common.

Before you know it you will be at an Argentinian's house for a birthday party or just a get together, they are very friendly and will not hesitate to integrate you.

Something very positive, in Argentina they prioritize relationships, friends, family, for this reason they work as much as necessary but they are not sick of work.

I hope I have been helpful!

I can tell you what I know about Argentina after having lived there for many years, a beautiful country!

Manners or customs that are rare for foreigners:

They are very bodily and demonstrative, hugs, kisses to say hello, etc are normal things.

They eat dinner late compared to Americans.

They have a very light breakfast, a coffee and a couple of croissants (Medialunas) or cookies is typical, no fruits or fats, nothing exaggerated like bacon, egg, orange juice, etc.

The MATE will be your new religion LOL and something very important I learned, the bombilla is not touched, most people drink it bitter but you can sweeten it and when you don't want it anymore you say "GRACIAS", not before.

The "insults (puteadas)" can be "affectionate" for example "boludo".

The word "negro" here has many meanings, being "the negro" of the group of friends is an affectionate form, "los negros" is derogatory. It is not racist, but classist.

Football team, of course River, but you can go to see a match of both and make your own decision.

In Argentina unpunctuality is common.

Before you know it you will be at an Argentinian's house for a birthday party or just a get together, they are very friendly and will not hesitate to integrate you.

Something very positive, in Argentina they prioritize relationships, friends, family, for this reason they work as much as necessary but they are not sick of work.

I hope I have been helpful!
Great advice. I have been here for the past several months and you will really enjoy it here @raimond. All good advice above.

I will point out that get used to no one being on time. Ha. Every time I meet up with friends they are always late. No one is on time which can get annoying but you have to get used to it. They always blame traffic even though they know traffic will be bad and don't account for it. I had to get used to the late dinners.

Funny about nicknames as my friends call their girlfriends fatty "gorda". And yes it took me by surprise the first time I met a group of new friends and they were calling their darker skinned friend, negro. That took me by surprise!

Don't worry about too much and go with the flow. You will see how the culture is here very quickly.

I love learning about the Argentinean culture, I hope I can feel it as my home! thanks for your great help!
I am sure you will love it. Most foreigners that I speak with, blend in very quickly here. Buenos Aires is not a difficult city to get accustomed to like some foreign cities. I am not sure what your home country is but tipping in restaurants is typically 10% here. Many people from Europe don't know that and don't tip here. But that is the norm since you asked.

Back