Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Wow Buenos Aires has gone downhill in the past few years! Sad!

salsa verde

Wow I'm in shock. I used to come down to Buenos Aires more frequently but it was before COVID-19 that I was able to visit. That was in late 2019. I previously have spent a lot of time in Buenos Aires even working here remotely for 5 years. I recently came back last week and I am in utter and complete shock. It's borderline depressing to me because even though the economy was never great, the city used to be cleaner and the city more vibrant. I notice far more homelessness and beggars on the street.

Many people coming up to me in cafes begging for money even when I am inside. Some places don't do anything to forbid them from entering. Buenos Aires is one of my favorite cities in the world but wow I am very sad to see it go down hill in a relatively short amount of time. Is this recent since the new President? Or was it bad before he took office?

This is just depressing to me. Even the mood of many here seem really low. Many friends that I used to know are now gone. Are things really that bad? I'd appreciate any insights.

Wow I'm in shock. I used to come down to Buenos Aires more frequently but it was before COVID-19 that I was able to visit. That was in late 2019. I previously have spent a lot of time in Buenos Aires even working here remotely for 5 years. I recently came back last week and I am in utter and complete shock. It's borderline depressing to me because even though the economy was never great, the city used to be cleaner and the city more vibrant. I notice far more homelessness and beggars on the street.

Many people coming up to me in cafes begging for money even when I am inside. Some places don't do anything to forbid them from entering. Buenos Aires is one of my favorite cities in the world but wow I am very sad to see it go down hill in a relatively short amount of time. Is this recent since the new President? Or was it bad before he took office?

This is just depressing to me. Even the mood of many here seem really low. Many friends that I used to know are now gone. Are things really that bad? I'd appreciate any insights.
You aren't mistaken! Things have gone downhill very quickly since Milei won Presidency. As you mentioned, the economy was never roses here but the mood of the people was better. Poverty is higher now. Cost of living is shockingly high. Depressing is putting it mildly. Definitely far more homeless now. Even a short time ago last year things were much different. Mood is dire. Many fear social unrest if this keeps up.

Shock is correct! Milei is destroying Argentina for the lower and middle classes. He is plunging the country into extreme poverty. He is trying to change the country too quickly. We can't support such radical increases so quickly. You see result with what you mention. You correct. It go downhill fast like you say.

I do agree with you there is more homeless now vs. before. Argentina has been on a tough track the past few years since you last visited. President Milei only has been office a few months. Covid was a brutal time for Argentina. Remember the country was locked down for 2 years. I don't think it is just Buenos Aires. I was in San Francisco last year and was very shocked and depressed as well. Same in Portland and I think many major cities around the world are worse off now vs. 2019 during the period you mentioned.

For sure Argentina is going through a time time but all of this didn't just happen in the past few months if that is what you are asking.

If anyone says Milei is responsible for all of this they are lying. Covid negatively affected not only BA but many cities. Many restaurants were never able to recover after Covid. The astronomical inflation of the past few months isn't helping and more went out of business and it is sad to see some bars and restaurants in Palermo and other areas boarded up now. I would have to believe several more will go out of business.

It is sad with the homeless situation and I'm afraid that probably will get worse too before it gets better.

If anyone says Milei is responsible for all of this they are lying. Covid negatively affected not only BA but many cities. Many restaurants were never able to recover after Covid. The astronomical inflation of the past few months isn't helping and more went out of business and it is sad to see some bars and restaurants in Palermo and other areas boarded up now. I would have to believe several more will go out of business.

It is sad with the homeless situation and I'm afraid that probably will get worse too before it gets better.
No one is saying Milei cause all the damage and have all blame but his action are making things much worse faster. Even last year people have better mood. Now no one can afford pay medical insurance. Even my friends from wealthy family complain all the days about medical costs. Now you see utility bills skyrocket. Restaurants and bars couldn't afford things before. What you think will happen now that water, electricity, gas and all things go up??? You will see restaurants and bar close. More homeless. More crime, more poverty. More social problems.

Now all the things expensive so tourists probably no come either. That also make problems for all the businesses. Local people can't afford to go out now.

For sure there is more homeless now vs. 2019. But probably the same in many cities around the world. It is true about many locals leaving. My girlfriend and I are moving to Spain. Many of her friends already left for Spain. You can't blame all of this on Milei but inflation has been wicked. They say it is slowing down but I do worry if he is trying to be too radical too quickly. I don't think people can hold out indefinitely the way things are happening. There is a limit to people's patience.

I will always love Buenos Aires but it definitely has seen better days. I am hoping things turn around in the next few years.

You are in shock? You must have been living under a rock! The world has gone to crap in the past few years and Argentina, in particular, has been suffering from high inflation for years now. Have you been to any big city in the States in the past couple of years? How about Europe?

Yes, things are really that bad here and all over the planet for the "have nots." What I find shocking is that anyone would travel to Argentina without knowing how bad things had gotten during the past government.

Yes, it's true that Argentina's economic situation has become critical. Factors such as inflation, public debt, exchange rate volatility, and economic recession have contributed to a complex situation. Argentinians have had to adapt to changes in their purchasing power and adjust their consumption habits due to economic uncertainty.
Although lately it is worse, it is a story that has been going on for years and years... but I still choose this country to live in :)

You are in shock? You must have been living under a rock! The world has gone to crap in the past few years and Argentina, in particular, has been suffering from high inflation for years now. Have you been to any big city in the States in the past couple of years? How about Europe?

Yes, things are really that bad here and all over the planet for the "have nots." What I find shocking is that anyone would travel to Argentina without knowing how bad things had gotten during the past government.
I think you're being too hard on him. I have other friends that come down to BA all the time and they recently commented the same thing. He also said things drastically changed in a short amount of time. Not even from many years ago but just in 1 year.

Yes I am in shock. No I am not living under a rock. I am simply stating how downhill the city has gone and I am wondering if it is covid or other things. Yes I have been to many cities and I don't see that drastic of a change. Sure some metro areas it has gotten worse but not like what I notice here in Buenos Aires.

I certainly hope things turn around but this isn't the same city I fell in love with.

Yes I am in shock. No I am not living under a rock. I am simply stating how downhill the city has gone and I am wondering if it is covid or other things. Yes I have been to many cities and I don't see that drastic of a change. Sure some metro areas it has gotten worse but not like what I notice here in Buenos Aires.

I certainly hope things turn around but this isn't the same city I fell in love with.

@salsa verde I agree with what you are saying. I have been living in BA off and on since after the corralito and things today are worse than even after then. The city is depressing now. Dirty, homeless. Milei supporters keep saying how things are improving but that isn't true. Every day it gets worse. The middle class has gotten gutted and disappearing.

Of course people will try to post about other cities but this isn't happening to many other cities. And scary thing is each day it gets worse and will get worse.

@salsa verde I agree with what you are saying. I have been living in BA off and on since after the corralito and things today are worse than even after then. The city is depressing now. Dirty, homeless. Milei supporters keep saying how things are improving but that isn't true. Every day it gets worse. The middle class has gotten gutted and disappearing.

Of course people will try to post about other cities but this isn't happening to many other cities. And scary thing is each day it gets worse and will get worse.
What I was especially shocked at is all the vandalism on buildings. Things weren't this bad when I was last here. A lot of anger out there. I hope it does not get worse!

You've been to many cities. As recently as? Why would you think this drastic decline, as you put it, has anything to do with COVID?

You've been to many cities. As recently as? Why would you think this drastic decline, as you put it, has anything to do with COVID?
Yep I travel for work all the time. All over US, Europe and Asia. I mentioned COVID because I have been coming to BA for a while now and even with prior horrible economy I haven't seen the dire mood that I see now. How long have you been coming to BA? Not sure why you are knocking me for asking. Do you find things here are peachy?

No one is debating that the mood is a bit tough now. However, @Sunny makes a great point that many cities around the world have also seen better days. I am not trying to argue or debate or make excuses comparing other cities. But my hometown of NYC is full of migrants now brought in from all over the USA. It doesn't feel like the same city to me either.

I will always love BA. For as bad as the economy is there is still a lot of life and spirit in the city. The lifestyle is still pretty fabulous for as bad as the economy is and as high as the inflation is.

Yep I travel for work all the time. All over US, Europe and Asia. I mentioned COVID because I have been coming to BA for a while now and even with prior horrible economy I haven't seen the dire mood that I see now. How long have you been coming to BA? Not sure why you are knocking me for asking. Do you find things here are peachy?
No, I just find your posts not credible.

No one is debating that the mood is a bit tough now. However, @Sunny makes a great point that many cities around the world have also seen better days. I am not trying to argue or debate or make excuses comparing other cities. But my hometown of NYC is full of migrants now brought in from all over the USA. It doesn't feel like the same city to me either.

I will always love BA. For as bad as the economy is there is still a lot of life and spirit in the city. The lifestyle is still pretty fabulous for as bad as the economy is and as high as the inflation is.
I agree with you, @Vince. This country is beautiful in all its aspects—the vibe of the people, the spirit of the city, the resilience of its people in facing all difficulties. What sucks are its leaders, but this isn't something new, not just from the Milei era; it's been decades of mismanagement and corruption. I also love the lifestyle here; the pace of life isn't like in the USA, and mental peace is non-negotiable. So, that's why I'm still here :)

I would argue that things have improved since 2019 in some respects. I agree homelessness has increased since then but to be fair many things have gotten better. I take the colectivos every day, and the Metrobus system is way better than before. Sometimes I even ride on brand-new buses where the seats are all new.

I've never seen drunk, mentally disturbed, high or homeless people causing trouble on buses here in Argentina, unlike in places like San Francisco, NYC, LA, Seattle or Vancouver. Also, the streets in Buenos Aires are kept clean. The people who collect cardboard work every day, and the trash is taken away every night. If someone leaves a mess, it's usually cleaned up fairly quickly.

The bike lanes are a big improvement, and many of my friends use bikes to get around. Many never thought BA would have bike lanes as the locals drive crazy.

At night, I often see police stopping drunk drivers, and accidents are taken care of quickly. Overall, the emergency services are good. Even with the economy being tough, I've noticed new shops and restaurants opening up all the time, even after Milei.

There's a lot of new construction happening in different neighborhoods. It's sad to see old houses go, but they're making room for new apartment buildings. The amount of new construction going on should make people realize things are getting improved.

Back