Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Argentina sees sharpest drop in beef consumption for 30 years!

Spend Thrift

Argentina sees sharpest drop in beef consumption for 30 years​

Wow this is pure proof that the inflation is hitting Argentines where it hurts the most. Their beef consumption!

My maid and doorman tell me all the time lately they can't even eat beef anymore. I thought they were just hitting me up for some money - which it turns out is true. But they also are eating less beef according to this data.

It is not just Argentines. My family has also cut back on beef and other products as well. The cost of everything has shot up and we have a fixed budget to live with so we also are cutting back.

I seriously doubt any expats are cutting back too much on beef. But many local friends tell me they have cut back.

Yes, that's what's happening now. I know because I also have local friends who tell me how difficult it is to access meat nowadays, so they just opt to buy chicken or pork.

Saw this online. It sounds like Argerntines still eat a LOT of beef! So I'm not crying for them.

Those who have lived in Argentina for the past couple of decades will know that this is not the first time Argentines go through this. If I recall correctly, there was a time when chicken prices went through the roof, as well. They think of weekly asados as their god-given right.

Those who have lived in Argentina for the past couple of decades will know that this is not the first time Argentines go through this. If I recall correctly, there was a time when chicken prices went through the roof, as well. They think of weekly asados as their god-given right.
That is true. They do not realize that steaks and beef are a luxury item for many people in different countries. Alas they are still accustomed to cheap steak and they are eating less of it now. If this keeps up President Milei will have a problem on his hands. Some very pro-Milei reporters are turning on him or at least posting the issues that he will have.

When will you Milei supporters admit that he is not going to succeed? What will it take for you?

That is true. They do not realize that steaks and beef are a luxury item for many people in different countries. Alas they are still accustomed to cheap steak and they are eating less of it now. If this keeps up President Milei will have a problem on his hands. Some very pro-Milei reporters are turning on him or at least posting the issues that he will have.

When will you Milei supporters admit that he is not going to succeed? What will it take for you?
I say same thing to my friends that vote for Milei. When you all admit experiment failed with him?

Let's hope Argentina NEVER goes the way the USA is heading with lab grown cultivated beef.

This has been happening for a few months now, and it's a historic downturn. Argentinians now have no choice but to adjust their diet; some are opting for chicken, others for pork. Sunday family barbecues "Asados", once a religion, are now evolving.

Let's hope Argentina NEVER goes the way the USA is heading with lab grown cultivated beef.

This is just gross!

Back