Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Witnessed a robbery in Belgrano

roadtrippin1

November 14, 2023

Hello, it's our fourth month in Argentina with my wife and we live in Belgrano. When we first came to Argentina, I was extremely prudent about security. I was always checking behind me, front, and the people passing by on the street from a long distance, I would change my path when I see anything even remotely strange or seemed off. Don't use phone outside, don't walk close to the road, stay away from motorcycles, dress somewhat poorly etc. Both my wife and I used concealable waist bags even if we went to a very close distance. After a few weeks, we started to act a little more relaxed because we really didn't see anything risky in our time in BA. Until today.

We were walking on Av. del Libertador. When we approached the corner around 6500 suddenly we heard some shouting. Two guys were wrestling in the middle of the avenue and it looked like it was going on for a while. one was on a bike with a big backpack, other one was on foot but with a helmet, there was also a third guy with another bike close to them, but he was waiting on the opposite direction. at first I thought they collided or sth and fighting about it. But that mothe****ker on foot wrestled the guy on the bike to the ground, took his backpack by force and jumped on the back of the third guy with bike and they fled.

I am originally from a semi-dictatorship country where only positive in daily life was security so it was pretty shocking to me to watch. What shocked me more was people did absolutely NOTHING. There were many cars waiting in both directions and they could do sth to help very easily but they just didn't. One pedestrian passed us by when we were watching the scene, she literally turned her head to the scene for one second without stopping walking and turned her head again and left. Car drivers just started to honk to the victim guy on the ground when green light was on. After a minute or so police came very casually walking and was speaking with the victim. I left there quite shocked.

I mean I can't blame people, I also just watched, but I am in a foreign country, can't speak the language properly, with a pregnant wife. I was also at the opposite side of a large avenue. Some people could definitely help the poor guy there. Nobody did.

I don't even know why I'm writing, just wanted to vent I guess. Damn, I really like this country, wish it was more secure. I got to go back to being paranoid I guess.

When you say "bike" do you mean bicycle or motorcycle? I'm guessing the latter.
Those criminals are called "motochorros".

Part of the problem here is the justice system, which tends to be very lenient with these criminals.

For those who might be wondering, here's a shot of where Libertador 6500 is located -

Libertador 6500.png

As a counterpoint to this, on Sunday night on the corner of Cordoba and Riobamba, I witnessed the following:
  1. A young man was waiting for the No. 12 bus that runs south along Riobamba (presumably with phone in hand).
  2. A chorro on a Rappi bicycle (perhaps disguised as a Rappi deliverer) with food box on the back travelling south along Riobamba snatched the phone as he passed, turned right into Cordoba and headed west.
  3. Young man number 1 set off at a very lively pace in pursuit of the rouge cyclist and started to make amazing ground on him. Still, the chase seemed futile until...
  4. He banged on the passenger side windows of a couple of cars also traveling west in an apparent attempt to hitch a lift and gain an advantage. And to my amazement, one of the drivers let him in. The last I saw was the door closing and chase being joined with the help of the internal combustion engine and a very generous motorist.
Don't know how it ended...

November 14, 2023

Hello, it's our fourth month in Argentina with my wife and we live in Belgrano. When we first came to Argentina, I was extremely prudent about security. I was always checking behind me, front, and the people passing by on the street from a long distance, I would change my path when I see anything even remotely strange or seemed off. Don't use phone outside, don't walk close to the road, stay away from motorcycles, dress somewhat poorly etc. Both my wife and I used concealable waist bags even if we went to a very close distance. After a few weeks, we started to act a little more relaxed because we really didn't see anything risky in our time in BA. Until today.

We were walking on Av. del Libertador. When we approached the corner around 6500 suddenly we heard some shouting. Two guys were wrestling in the middle of the avenue and it looked like it was going on for a while. one was on a bike with a big backpack, other one was on foot but with a helmet, there was also a third guy with another bike close to them, but he was waiting on the opposite direction. at first I thought they collided or sth and fighting about it. But that mothe****ker on foot wrestled the guy on the bike to the ground, took his backpack by force and jumped on the back of the third guy with bike and they fled.

I am originally from a semi-dictatorship country where only positive in daily life was security so it was pretty shocking to me to watch. What shocked me more was people did absolutely NOTHING. There were many cars waiting in both directions and they could do sth to help very easily but they just didn't. One pedestrian passed us by when we were watching the scene, she literally turned her head to the scene for one second without stopping walking and turned her head again and left. Car drivers just started to honk to the victim guy on the ground when green light was on. After a minute or so police came very casually walking and was speaking with the victim. I left there quite shocked.

I mean I can't blame people, I also just watched, but I am in a foreign country, can't speak the language properly, with a pregnant wife. I was also at the opposite side of a large avenue. Some people could definitely help the poor guy there. Nobody did.

I don't even know why I'm writing, just wanted to vent I guess. Damn, I really like this country, wish it was more secure. I got to go back to being paranoid I guess.
That could have just as easily happened in Miami. For sure!

What shocked me more was people did absolutely NOTHING.
It is either this or someone gets involved and then suddenly everyone gets involved and the thug has to watch out not to get lynched.

Don't bystanders anywhere else also prefer to ignore a theft that takes place in front of their eyes? I think this is not just Argentine behaviour. On the contrary, there are cases where Argentines do get involved to help the victim, because they are fed up of chorros and them not getting proper punishments.

Things like this are rare but the other day I saw a tourist walking and he wasn't paying attention. And a motorcycle thief with a guy on the back grabbed his iPhone from his hand and the other guy rode off. This was in Palermo Soho. So just pay attention. That was the first thing I saw something like that. This was on Sunday near Armenia and El Salvador.

Just a follow up on this post as I've always said that Buenos Aires is a very safe city for it's size. Any metropolitan city has crime. Buenos Aires is no exception. I used to manage hundreds of properties and the only ones that got robbed with violent crime were people wearing Rolex or Cartier watches.

But today I was in a business meeting with a guy that I've known for 22 years since I first started buying properties here. He owns one of the largest property development companies in town. He told me a heartbreaking story of how last year he got robbed near his home in Belgrano. The thieves beat him up all for a watch that wasn't valuable in monetary terms but sentimentally important to him as a family member gave it to him. He said it wasn't worth much.

But he got hurt and as he fell hurt his back. He is still suffering from the pain. The one worry that I have is that people won't have the patience needed for Milei's turn around plan. No doubt about it things are very bad for locals. I know tons of people here and besides my wealthy friends, people are feeling the pain.

Just a follow up on this post as I've always said that Buenos Aires is a very safe city for it's size. Any metropolitan city has crime. Buenos Aires is no exception. I used to manage hundreds of properties and the only ones that got robbed with violent crime were people wearing Rolex or Cartier watches.

But today I was in a business meeting with a guy that I've known for 22 years since I first started buying properties here. He owns one of the largest property development companies in town. He told me a heartbreaking story of how last year he got robbed near his home in Belgrano. The thieves beat him up all for a watch that wasn't valuable in monetary terms but sentimentally important to him as a family member gave it to him. He said it wasn't worth much.

But he got hurt and as he fell hurt his back. He is still suffering from the pain. The one worry that I have is that people won't have the patience needed for Milei's turn around plan. No doubt about it things are very bad for locals. I know tons of people here and besides my wealthy friends, people are feeling the pain.
This kind of thing happens now. It is very sad for my country. Unfortunately with Milei changes more and more inflation and more and more people hungry and will be more and more crime.

with Milei changes more and more inflation and more and more people hungry and will be more and more crime.
1. inflation now isn't Milei's fault.
2. where were you when your political tribe caused 50% poverty and 1% daily inflation?
3. how come the crime on 09Dec2023 wasn't the fault of the president, but it is 10Dec, onward?

once people aren't scared to stand-up to criminals, these violent robberies won't happen as much:

but when the commie judges let violent criminals out with $0 bond the next day, and people get punished for trying to help victims, no one wants to do anything in society

1. inflation now isn't Milei's fault.
2. where were you when your political tribe caused 50% poverty and 1% daily inflation?
3. how come the crime on 09Dec2023 wasn't the fault of the president, but it is 10Dec, onward?

once people aren't scared to stand-up to criminals, these violent robberies won't happen as much:

but when the commie judges let violent criminals out with $0 bond the next day, and people get punished for trying to help victims, no one wants to do anything in society
I agree you need to keep these thugs behind bars. No one wants to help as these thugs get out and hunt them down and then take action against them so no one wants to be a Good Samaritan here.

I saw a motorcycle thief last night grab an iPhone out of a tourists hand on the street near Plaza Serrano. Be careful.

I saw a motorcycle thief last night grab an iPhone out of a tourists hand on the street near Plaza Serrano. Be careful.
The motochorro robbery happens in Europe too. In Italy scooter thieves are called scippatori, they are armed with knives, crowbars, hammers, whereas here the may carry real guns. I have spotted motochorros looking for victims in Recoleta, Belgrano, Las Cañitas, Nuñez, but never seen one in action, thankfully. A lot of tourists hang out in the trendy sections of Palermo, that's where most of the iphone/wallet snatching was reported in the past five months.

Last edited:
The motochorro robbery happens in Europe too. In Italy scooter thieves are called scippatori, they are armed with knives, crowbars, hammers, whereas here the may carry real guns. I have spotted motochorros looking for victims in Recoleta, Belgrano, Las Cañitas, Nuñez, but never seen one in action, thankfully. A lot of tourists hang out in the trendy sections of Palermo, that's where most of the iphone/wallet snatching was reported in the past five months.
Yes I saw in Paris a few times thieves stealing things. I think I have witnessed more crime in Europe than here which is surprising. Guns are rare here in Argentina from what my friends tell me. Thieves are hitting the place where many tourists hang out. Easy pickings in Palermo Soho. I talked to a few tourists that also had their phones stolen in heart of Soho. I even watched a video of thieves robbing someone of their watch in the middle of the day.

Also, there are more thieves that are very slick like this in Buenos Aires. NEVER put your purse like this on chairs.

Last edited:
Yeah, I've seen more crime in Europe and even some parts of the States than we have in the five months we've been here. We're always walking around, but we're super cautious. I won't hesitate to tell people to give us some space if they're crowding too close.

The other day, this young girl was practically breathing down our necks. I stopped dead in my tracks and asked her straight up why she was tailing us like that. She said she was just heading to the pharmacy, which was right next to us. She seemed innocent enough, but you never know. I gave her a serious talk, maybe she'll think twice next time.

Yeah, I've seen more crime in Europe and even some parts of the States than we have in the five months we've been here. We're always walking around, but we're super cautious. I won't hesitate to tell people to give us some space if they're crowding too close.

The other day, this young girl was practically breathing down our necks. I stopped dead in my tracks and asked her straight up why she was tailing us like that. She said she was just heading to the pharmacy, which was right next to us. She seemed innocent enough, but you never know. I gave her a serious talk, maybe she'll think twice next time.
Exactly correct. The crime in Europe has been intense. I see far more pickpocketing in Paris, Madrid, Barcelona and other cities vs. here. In the USA I haven't come across pickpocketing like I see in Europe. Here much of it you never see and only later notice something stolen.

You are wise @Sunny to stay aware. Crime here isn't usually violent. The thieves are very good! You always have to be aware. I once in a while look behind me to see if someone is walking behind me for long stretches. If I notice someone following behind I will stop and wait for them to pass me. I don't confront them as you did but nothing wrong with that.

Back