Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer Protesters rob a woman

PhilipDM

Hello everyone,
I want to tell you what I saw yesterday at the protest in front of the congress. I have a friend who lives near the congress to be more exact 1 block away. We were all afternoon watching and listening to the march through the window and when we saw and heard that things calmed down we went down to buy something to eat. We went walking to a market near the protest because at 20:00 Argentinean time and with the protest it was going to be difficult to find something open. We arrived at the place and bought. Leaving the place an old woman with her granddaughter seemed to be giving a packet of rice to a person who asked her for it (who was not on the protest). Then some demonstrators came and stole the girl's phone, money and a bag of candy. It is something incomprehensible, they protest for food and security and they themselves steal?

The boy that the lady had given the rice to tried to reach them but could not and said sorry. After this the police advised us not to go out until the portest leaves because these things happen a lot. For people who want to go to see the protest I recommend to go around noon and be close to the police, not to go for a walk or to see what happens there. The TV shows if it is calm and if something happen.

Hello everyone,
I want to tell you what I saw yesterday at the protest in front of the congress. I have a friend who lives near the congress to be more exact 1 block away. We were all afternoon watching and listening to the march through the window and when we saw and heard that things calmed down we went down to buy something to eat. We went walking to a market near the protest because at 20:00 Argentinean time and with the protest it was going to be difficult to find something open. We arrived at the place and bought. Leaving the place an old woman with her granddaughter seemed to be giving a packet of rice to a person who asked her for it (who was not on the protest). Then some demonstrators came and stole the girl's phone, money and a bag of candy. It is something incomprehensible, they protest for food and security and they themselves steal?

The boy that the lady had given the rice to tried to reach them but could not and said sorry. After this the police advised us not to go out until the portest leaves because these things happen a lot. For people who want to go to see the protest I recommend to go around noon and be close to the police, not to go for a walk or to see what happens there. The TV shows if it is calm and if something happen.
Argentina is the most difficult country to understand :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Hello everyone,

Insecurity in Argentina is very high at the moment and even more so with the treatment of the omnibus law. They will want to generate chaos in the country so that these laws are not passed. These days it is better to stay at home and visit tourist places where there are no problems.

Insecurity in Argentina is very high at the moment and even more so with the treatment of the omnibus law. They will want to generate chaos in the country so that these laws are not passed. These days it is better to stay at home and visit tourist places where there are no problems.

I work near the national congress and it is true what @Carmer says and since the law began to be dealt with there are many homeless and people looking for some clueless person. I used to go to the office by public transportation and also after work to walk around or go to an after office. But since January I am traveling by car because of the insecurity in the area!

This year I was in Argentina in December at the time of the presidential elections. This year I wanted to visit all the political buildings (the ministries, "Casa Rosa", etc.) and the streets were very safe! Yes, there were a lot more homeless in the area during the month but maybe it was because of the elections that the whole country calmed down with those security problems!

I hope that this year the insecurity in Argentina will go down and we will see a real change in every sense!

This year I was in Argentina in December at the time of the presidential elections. This year I wanted to visit all the political buildings (the ministries, "Casa Rosa", etc.) and the streets were very safe! Yes, there were a lot more homeless in the area during the month but maybe it was because of the elections that the whole country calmed down with those security problems!

I hope that this year the insecurity in Argentina will go down and we will see a real change in every sense!
At election time (usually from October to December) Argentina always seems to be perfect, with little insecurity, prices do not increase much, but after the president is elected, problems start to emerge.

At election time (usually from October to December) Argentina always seems to be perfect, with little insecurity, prices do not increase much, but after the president is elected, problems start to emerge.
Yes I see it. I hope that this year the new president MIlei will be able to govern in peace and the population will be satisfied. So I can be able to travel more relax.

It is safe to come to Buenos Aires. We have been here the past 2 weeks. You wouldn't know any protests are going on unless you see it on TV. I wouldn't advice to go to these areas of protest and you will be perfectly fine.
exactly the same here in Belgrano, and before that in Palermo Chico/Norte

Typically protests are only downtown. Most people just avoid those areas and they publicize ahead of time when they will be so very easy to avoid.

It is safe to come to Buenos Aires. We have been here the past 2 weeks. You wouldn't know any protests are going on unless you see it on TV. I wouldn't advice to go to these areas of protest and you will be perfectly fine.
Totally agree!! As long as you don't enter the minefestation nothing will happen!

I disagree that it is insecure in Buenos Aires. You can avoid these areas during protests. But if President Milei keeps up with bad policies than maybe it will be insecure when people can't pay their transportation costs and have money to eat. Then maybe it will get bad. Let's see.

Back